I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:12:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Working while on Dialysis
| | |-+  LTD versus SSDI
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: LTD versus SSDI  (Read 5005 times)
Deanne
Elite Member

« on: August 13, 2012, 02:11:39 PM »

My neph asked me to at least make sure I understand what I would get if I went on disability. Coincidentally, my workplace just offered a plan for SLTD - supplemental long-term disability. It pays 75% of my normal income and if I understand it correctly, it would be tax-free. the SLTD would kick in after I've been off work for a full year. If I understand what I'm reading correctly, short-term disability covers that first year. The SLTD information says it covers until age 65. How does SSDI fit into this picture? Would I collect SLTD instead of SSDI until I reach age 65?

I know I should find a plan administrator to ask, but I'd rather not mention to them that I'm even thinking this way before I get my official "you're approved" message from them.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 05:31:52 PM »

I'm not sure about your situation but my employer's STD/LTD office doesn't consider dialysis and kidney failure means for approval. They said they would only approve it if your labs were messed up.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
frankswife

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 04:36:02 PM »

Frank is getting short term right now. We are in NY, which is one of the 5 states that has mandatory disability. You get 1/2 of your normal salary UP TO $170. We get the $170 but its not even a third of his regular pay. Thats for six months. Then Long Term kicks in. He paid extra to get the enhanced Long Term, which pays half of your actual salary with no limit. He has already been approved for SSDI, with payments to start in March. We figure we'll get one month of Long Term then drop it for the SSDI in March since SSDI pays a bit more. It's been really tough for us.

"If we all abandon our posts, who then will stand?" St. Augustine
smcd23

The patient, the baby and the donor - October 2010

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 06:23:32 PM »

In my experience doing the SSDI claims, what I've seen is that often times the STD/LTD will reduce or end payments once the SSDI starts. But I also know that isn't the case all the time. You should really try looking up more information on your particular plan... would their website maybe have more information, or is there maybe a brochure you're employer could give you to look at?

Caregiver to Husband with ESRD.

1995 - Diagnosed with vesicoureteral reflux and had surgery to repair at age 11. Post surgery left side still had Stage I VUR, right side was okay. Both sides were underdeveloped.
2005 - Discovered renal function was declining, causing HBP. Regular monitoring began.

March 2008 - Started transplant evaluation for preemptive transplant due to declining function.

September 16, 2008 - Transplanted with my kidney.
September 18, 2008 - Kidney was removed due to thrombosis in the vessels in and leading to the kidney.

October 2008 - Listed in Region I

May 2009 - Started in Center Hemo
January 2010 - Started CCPD on Liberty Cycler

June 15, 2012 - Kidney transplant from a 43 year old deceased donor
June 22, 2012 - Major acute rejection episode and hospitalization began
June 27, 2012 - Nephrectomy to remove kidney after complete HLA antibody rejection. Possibly not eligible for another transplant, ever again.

Now what?
stringbandbeth

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 04:43:43 AM »

Bear is on LTD and SSDI... His SSDI payments were reduced because of the LTD.  He ends up with  a little more than just SSDI each month but not much more.  I guess, in CT at least , LTD pays first SSDI second.

caregiver for husband on home dialysis 14 yrs
smcd23

The patient, the baby and the donor - October 2010

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 07:23:30 PM »

Bear is on LTD and SSDI... His SSDI payments were reduced because of the LTD.  He ends up with  a little more than just SSDI each month but not much more.  I guess, in CT at least , LTD pays first SSDI second.

Is the LTD a state funded public disability benefit? Those are offsettable, just as workers comp is, and certain pensions from cities, towns and state employers/agencies that didn't pay Social Security tax.

Caregiver to Husband with ESRD.

1995 - Diagnosed with vesicoureteral reflux and had surgery to repair at age 11. Post surgery left side still had Stage I VUR, right side was okay. Both sides were underdeveloped.
2005 - Discovered renal function was declining, causing HBP. Regular monitoring began.

March 2008 - Started transplant evaluation for preemptive transplant due to declining function.

September 16, 2008 - Transplanted with my kidney.
September 18, 2008 - Kidney was removed due to thrombosis in the vessels in and leading to the kidney.

October 2008 - Listed in Region I

May 2009 - Started in Center Hemo
January 2010 - Started CCPD on Liberty Cycler

June 15, 2012 - Kidney transplant from a 43 year old deceased donor
June 22, 2012 - Major acute rejection episode and hospitalization began
June 27, 2012 - Nephrectomy to remove kidney after complete HLA antibody rejection. Possibly not eligible for another transplant, ever again.

Now what?
MightyMike

Why do bad things always happen to good people?

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 08:05:30 PM »

My LTD is reduced dollar fo dollar based on what I get from SSDI.

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
   -Walter Bagehot
==========================
December 2003 diagnosed with IgA Nephropathy 80% Function.
October 2004 started In-Center Hemo Dialysis Perma-Cath 5% Function.
September 2005 Living Related Donor (Mother) Transplant.
March 2009 Diagnosed CKD and IgA Nephropathy.
August 2009 Upper Left Arm Fistula.
November 2009 started In-Center Hemo Dialysis.
December 2010 started Home Hemo Dialysis.
January 2012 went back to In-Center Hemo Dialysis.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »