I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:09:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Were you sedated or put out when you got your catheter
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Were you sedated or put out when you got your catheter  (Read 5210 times)
lynnrlpd1

« on: July 24, 2012, 01:37:12 PM »

Just wondered what most people have done.  I have had a lot of ports and catheters due to cancer.  Always put to sleep or out.  Now I had an infected one taken out today and new one to be put in tomorrow.  I asked to be put to sleep tomorrow.  They told me they usually sedate people but not asleep.  Well I'm not young and I know what I know about myself and I do not tolerate this kind of thing very well so would they please put me out. They checked and said okay and this is what I have always had done no problem but I feel bad for asking them to go to the trouble so wanted to ask what other people have had done when getting their permacaths installed.  Now I understand a fistual is different but I'm talking catheter
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 01:54:11 PM »

Putting them in, I've usually been lightly sedated. Taking them out, just local anesthetic.
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 02:35:35 PM »

Putting them in, I've usually been lightly sedated. Taking them out, just local anesthetic.
Same here
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 02:41:17 PM »

No, no sedation the first time round. I had to have a second cath put in a few days after the first one, there was something wrong with one of the lumens. First time hurt like I won't say. The second time I was smart and asked for Ativan. I was laughing the second time round after the Ativan.

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
MommyChick

Me & my precious Miracle !!!

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 03:13:33 PM »

Just lightly sedated & I don't handle medical procedures very well, but it wasn't bad.

~ Marna

~ Hello All, My names Marna ~

- 1995 - 12 yrs old found out my kidneys were both failing
- 1996 - Dec. 3 I received my 1st kidney transplant at age 13, after 7/mths on the waiting list
- 2005 - In Aug. transplant failed after 9.5 years, had to have a nephrectomy due to being very ill & massive hypertension
           - End of Aug. 1st time on dialysis
- 2006 - Had my fistula placed & ready to go
- 2010 - My little Miracle was born 6/mths into the pregnancy, weighing 2.4 lbs & 13.25 in long
          - Found out my PRA is 100% & I have antibodies that CAN'T be decreased
- 2013 - Oct. 2nd  *** I finally received my kidney!!! ***
          - Dec. 3rd I had 3.5 parathyroids removed, due to them interfering w/my new kidney.
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 03:13:53 PM »

When I had my PD cath put in, I was put out all the way. Not sure how I would have tolerated that otherwise.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
Willis

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 04:09:59 PM »

For my PD cath I was given general anesthetic but went home the same day. The same thing when I got an AV fistula.

jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 07:37:09 PM »

When I got my chest catheter, I was pretty loopy. I think I was out but I don't remember most of the day. When it came out I got a local. When I got my PD cath I was out.

Don't feel bad about asking for what you need. You are the patient.
Restorer

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 09:54:29 PM »

I got my chest catheter put in at the same time I had my PD catheter removed, so they gave me general anesthesia - I was completely out. When I had the catheter removed, it was just local anesthetic, no sedative at all.

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

3/2007Kidney failure diagnosed5/2010In-center hemodialysis
8/2008Peritoneal catheter placed1/2012Upper arm fistula created
9/2008Peritoneal catheter replaced3/2012Started using fistula
9/2008Began CAPD4/2012Buttonholes created
3/2009Switched to CCPD w/ Newton IQ cycler            4/2012HD catheter removed
7/2009Switched to Liberty cycler            4/2018Transplanted at UCLA!
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 06:38:34 AM »

I don't know whether I was out or just loopy when they installed my two chest caths, but I was awake when they took the first one out, just local anesthetic.  When they put a cath in my penis I was awake, and that is not a pleasant experience, believe me.
Grumpy-1

Make me the person my dog thinks I am

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 10:24:02 AM »

I was out completely, but because I was having knee replacement surgery.  The kidneys decided they didn't like to competition and went on strike.  So I got a knee replacement and chest tube at the same time.   Coming out - at first the nurse practitioner said it wouldn't hurt and she TRIED to remove it without any pain meds, or deaden or etc.  After putting a knee on my chest and pulling, AND ME SCREAMING in pain, she decided it was in there a bit more than expected and she shot some deaden meds in my chest.  Then I didn't feel a thing  Grumpy

Make me the person my dog thinks I am
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 11:11:18 AM »

I know what I know about myself and I do not tolerate this kind of thing very well so would they please put me out. They checked and said okay and this is what I have always had done no problem but I feel bad for asking them to go to the trouble so wanted to ask what other people have had done when getting their permacaths installed.  Now I understand a fistual is different but I'm talking catheter

I've never had a permacath installed, BUT I, too, know enough about myself to know that I was going to freak out when having my fistula installed, and I insisted upon being put out completely.  The surgeon had ordered a mere shoulder block, but I was having none of that.  I told the anesthesiologist that this was gonna be one of the worst days of my life and that I didn't want any part of it, so just put me out completely.  He did.  And I sure as hell didn't feel bad about it, and you shouldn't, either.  As far as I'm concerned, a good doctor LISTENS to his patients and trusts them enough to address their valid concerns.  Please don't feel bad about wanting what you feel you need. :cuddle;

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 04:42:59 PM »

I know what I know about myself and I do not tolerate this kind of thing very well so would they please put me out. They checked and said okay and this is what I have always had done no problem but I feel bad for asking them to go to the trouble so wanted to ask what other people have had done when getting their permacaths installed.  Now I understand a fistual is different but I'm talking catheter

I've never had a permacath installed, BUT I, too, know enough about myself to know that I was going to freak out when having my fistula installed, and I insisted upon being put out completely.  The surgeon had ordered a mere shoulder block, but I was having none of that.  I told the anesthesiologist that this was gonna be one of the worst days of my life and that I didn't want any part of it, so just put me out completely.  He did.  And I sure as hell didn't feel bad about it, and you shouldn't, either.  As far as I'm concerned, a good doctor LISTENS to his patients and trusts them enough to address their valid concerns.  Please don't feel bad about wanting what you feel you need. :cuddle;

You are so right, MM. ...one really needs to advocate and speak up if you're not comfortable with something....that's what I did the second time round I had that permacath put in, I wanted SOMETHING to help ease my anxiety and they gave it to me.

For my fistula, they sedated me, I was in a light sleep, not totally 'knocked' out but enough that I wasn't aware of what was going on.....I told my surgeon how I felt about being awake and thankfully, he listened.        :)

In a nutshell, nobody knows your body better/pain tolerance  better than you and don't ever let anyone ever  try to convince you otherwise!!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 04:49:35 PM by Cordelia » Logged

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
Rain

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 04:43:41 PM »

I had local freezing for my perma cath installed.  I also had it removed without any freezing since it was badly infected and the freezing wouldn't hold.  That was the most painful moment of my life, but a nurse let me squeeze her hand  :)
My fistula i had with freezing as well.  They ended up putting a block in my arm so i couldn't move my arm without assistance since i couldn't feel it.  I was awake during the whole procedure without taking any light sedation and chatting with the anesthesiologist.  I tend to handle pain very well. 

1988  Diagnosed with reflux and kidney damage
2006-  Diagnosed with Renal Failure and start dialysis in centre with catheter
2007- Fistula created and in centre hemo with fistula
2012- Fistula clotted and central line inserted
May 2014- Received Kidney from deceased donor
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »