I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2024, 08:18:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Ideal dry weight
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ideal dry weight  (Read 2706 times)
andreas

« on: July 23, 2012, 09:31:24 AM »

Hi every im on dialysis for period of six months now,i didnt lost the ability to pee (i  pee regular 4-5 time a day with enough quantity  of urine, thats why i go to my next session dialysis with 100 to 300ml  to remove. The nurses they decide(or guess?) that my dry weight is 60kg, my question is why every i fiinish i feel dzzy and like drunken my head its heavy, by next day im  feeling ok, untill  next  time and so on.

EDITED:  Moved to correct topic.  Rerun, Moderator  
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 09:41:05 AM by Rerun » Logged
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 09:36:09 AM »

Hello Andreas,

As you stated in your post, dry weight is definitely a guess, there is no exact science to determine dry weight.  You should never be leaving your treatments dizzy and "drunken" feeling, this is a sign that they are removing too much fluid. 

I would demand from your doctor that your dry weight be increased, a little at a time, until you are no longer feeling dizzy after a treatment. 

I know for me, my dry weight has been increased almost two kilos since I started dialysis.  Once I started doing it at home, I regained my appetite and gained real weight so the initial dry weight was just too low.

Good luck!
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 09:39:04 AM »

Dialysis is hard on your body.  It is pulling all the bad toxins off you in a short amount of time and it takes time for your body to even out and transfer whats left in your cells to your bloodstream to even you out.  You could try and have them give you 200 of saline back at the end and see if that helps but I'm thinking you are just feeling the affects of dialysis.

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 10:59:21 AM »

You have the right to set your own treatment goals, too.  If you feel they are consistently taking off too much fluid, then it's time to take charge and decide for yourself.  It's your body, and you know it best.  Learn all you can, and start deciding how much fluid you want off each session.  Tell them what you have decided.  You may need to get pushy - some of them prefer you shut up and do what they say - but try hard to work with them first. 

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

malaka

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 12:48:31 PM »

My dry weight just got bumped up 1.5 kg today when the nephro passing by was stopped by the nurse who told him my post treatment bp was too low.  It is -- 70's over 40's--causing me to need iv salt water.  We'll see how this turns out.  Oddly, I think because I feel better on dialysis than I did before I started, I eat more.  Sure, I was filled with water before I started, but I do believe my dry weight has increased in the past six months.   

And, the doc speint all of 10 seconds changing my dry weight order.  It is not an exact science by any means.
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 06:35:20 PM »

Good indicators of Dry Weight is BP & cramping.  If your BP drops and you have some cramping, then you can pretty much guess you have reached your dry weight.  When either of these things occur, ask your neph if you can put UF to -0- and use remaining time to remove toxins!  Your neph should instruct techs to allow it.   

I do Home hemo on my spouse with NxStage, and now, we just pretty much figure it in.  Hope this helps!

lmunchkin

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »