I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 27, 2024, 10:18:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  hand pain during dialysis - need help
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: hand pain during dialysis - need help  (Read 6530 times)
balapandian

« on: July 23, 2012, 06:43:58 AM »

I don't move the hand during the 4hours of  dialysis to avoid any bulges.  I have the fistula near the wrist.
I get the pain near the returning needle which is stuck near the elbow.  the pain may be from the flesh below the
needle. 

the pain is mild after 1 hour, tolerable after 2 hours, the pain is quite high in the last hour of dialysis. 
I have tried lidocaine cream and tylenol, but both does not reduce the pain

Has anyone had this kind of pain and how you resolved it?

PKD
2010 Sep AV Fistula
2012 Jun Bilateral Nephrectomy
2012 Jun Hemo Dialysis
MommyChick

Me & my precious Miracle !!!

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 07:41:56 AM »

Hello there,
I have actually been dealing with a similar thing the last few months.
I have a fistula on my upper arm. They had my flow rate always set at 500 because I could always handle it & I would always clear so well. Within the last few months my arm would start to ache & get sore with pain. I never move my arm because I'm always scared I might ruin my fistula if I would infiltrate it. Last month they scheduled me to get my fistula looked at, I thought for sure they would have to balloon it open & clean it like they do every year or two. Well I had the procedure done but they weren't able to find anything, they said my fistula looked excellent!
I was very happy to find out that everything was ok, but still a little worried as to why I was having pain during treatment in my arm. Then pain would get so bad by the 2nd hour that my BP would start to drop & they would have to take me off the machine early.

Anyway... They lowered my blood flow rate to 450, instead of 500. I still clear well & was able to still keep my 3 hrs without them upping my time.
My arm no longer hurts like it did & I am able to tolerate everything!!!  :2thumbsup;
They told me they think because my fistula is so big & having the flow rate that high was taking away blood flow to the lower arm & causing me pain... whatever the reason, lowering my flow rate helped me!

Good Luck
~ Marna  :cuddle;

~ Hello All, My names Marna ~

- 1995 - 12 yrs old found out my kidneys were both failing
- 1996 - Dec. 3 I received my 1st kidney transplant at age 13, after 7/mths on the waiting list
- 2005 - In Aug. transplant failed after 9.5 years, had to have a nephrectomy due to being very ill & massive hypertension
           - End of Aug. 1st time on dialysis
- 2006 - Had my fistula placed & ready to go
- 2010 - My little Miracle was born 6/mths into the pregnancy, weighing 2.4 lbs & 13.25 in long
          - Found out my PRA is 100% & I have antibodies that CAN'T be decreased
- 2013 - Oct. 2nd  *** I finally received my kidney!!! ***
          - Dec. 3rd I had 3.5 parathyroids removed, due to them interfering w/my new kidney.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 07:57:53 AM »

I had a nerve-damaged wrist that hurt terribly by the end of every run.  I found that a heating pad helped a lot when it was applied from the start.  I took a microwave rice bag and toasted it right before I went on.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

SugarBear

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 08:26:04 AM »

I don't move the hand during the 4hours of  dialysis to avoid any bulges. 

When I first start dialysis, I too would not move my hand for the whole treatment time. That was a mistake as my wrist and elbow would became stiff and painful.  When I brought it to my doctor's attention he told me I have to move my arm in order to prevent the pain and help with blood flow to the arm.

Xbox GT: ShonumShogun

CKD due to FSGS 1999
Drop from Stage 4 to Stage 2 ESRD 2000
ESRD 2005
Started Dialysis September 13, 2006
Short Daily Home Hemo March 2009
Back to In-Center Hemo August 2009 (Too Many Hours)
Nocturnal Home Hemo with Remote Viewers  May 2010
Received Transplant March 1, 2012
Transplant Failed in October 2017
Nocturnal Home Hemo with Remote Viewers December 2017
chiromac

Dr. Larry (Chiropractor)

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 08:37:38 AM »

I had the same issues and had all the neuro testing done and found out that dialysis augments the neuropathy in my hands.  I notices lowering my arm from the armrest to my leg seams to help.

Dr. Larry (Chiropractor)

My life has been drastically changed and I want to get back to the living my life.

I ♥ have ♥ the ♥ most ♥ beautiful ♥ DAUGHTER ♥ in the ♥ world☆•*¨*•.¸¸❤❤¸.•*¨

Back Surgery
Diabetes
Had reaction to Byetta and my Kidneys shut down
Diabetic retinopathy (Countless shots to both eyes & Laser Treatments)
Cataract Surgery on both eyes
Diagnosed with ESRD
Multiple Heart Bipass Surgery
AV Fistula
Dialysis - In center 3 days a week 4:15 at a time
Neuropathy
On Transplant List and Hoping
slipkid

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 05:47:26 PM »

How 'bout them Gators!
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 12:59:25 PM »

I've noticed that taking pain killers before I go on helps for the first hour or two, but eventually it gets drained out, and the pains return.  When my hands go numb I flex them until the blood returns to them and/or massage them with my other hand. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »