I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 02:32:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  How would you introduce someone new to dialysis - first treatment?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How would you introduce someone new to dialysis - first treatment?  (Read 9033 times)
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2007, 05:59:45 PM »

Also Richard, why do you think the nurses will be against this site? Because of the name? You do know we have MANY nurses as members right?

- Epoman

Excuse me for interjecting into your question-but I too am hesitant to give out this web-site AT the  dialysis center because when I have mentioned it to nurses or techs they are condescending,they hate it that I get information from here,they seem to resent my husband and I learning so much here.I DO still give it out though,I have gave it to several nurses who expressed interest in learning buttonhole,and I will say its the younger nurses who are accepting of this web-site-the older ones are more critical(without coming here and seeing for themselves)

:thumbup;

I remember when I first started this site when I was still in-center at Davita, all the techs and nurses laughed and thought I was joking when I said I started a new website. They stopped laughing/joking about it when they saw it featured in "Nephrology News & Issues".  >:D

- Epoman
Owner/Admin

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Triker

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2007, 05:55:05 AM »

I would tell them a little about myself, who I am, my hobbies, & etc., and ask them about themselves. I'd answer questions if asked. I do dialysis to LIVE, not to simply stay alive.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2007, 07:59:26 PM »

Thanks everyone for your advice!! You're all wonderful (well, need I say that since this is a given for members here?) :)

jbeany, your post was really great... but I think I'll pass on the "special women's issues"... i guess she will find out all too soon and ask about it (I hope!)...

As for asking her for a coffee or something off dialysis time... mmm yes, could be, and I like the idea, but I don't want her to think I'm hitting on her first minute she walks in the door.. you know?! :) She might feel it is a bit much for some strange guy she has only really met in the not best of circumstances...

I think humour is the best and I try to use it as much as possible!! If you can't laugh at yourself, or your situation or whatever... well gee, might as well throw it in...

Well just to update everyone on the last session yesterday... again we were seated together.. and even more amusingly (I wonder if this was a cunning plan by the nurses??!) we were in the back room.. alone!!! (well ok, her mother was with us LOL). We talked a little bit about dialysis, but I tried to keep the focus off that. The dietician wasn't about so she didn't have that fun discussion!! We talked generally a bit about where she is at... we (all 3 of us) went through Cosmo - one of those chinese new year horrorscope thingies with the year ahead. Aparently I am charming, magnetic and I have long haul travel this year... well if that comes true that would mean I got a transplant!! woohoo! lol. We had a lot of fun with that and shared laughs. There was also a bit of a suggestion to try to get our chairs closer together (now now, all you naughty people keep your minds clean!) so we could play a game like scrabble or something that would take a while and keep us diverted. Great idea! Above all, it was so good for me (and I think for her) to know there is someone around the same age to talk to if you want... I really tried to also give them space and not bug them constantly so the chat would come and go while they were reading or chatting and I was listening to my ipod.

I almost mentioned the site but I thought I might wait till Saturday when her mother won't be there... and hopefully we can have some quiet time to talk (gosh, that sounds so bad).

Epo, the reason I am a little hesitant to talk about IHD at the unit is as others have said... the usual thing about "oh you are getting medical advice from the INTERNET?!! you can't TRUST that!" sort of thing. And even if you say "it's not about medical advice as opposed to a doctor, but more for shared support, understanding and tips to cope with dialysis" I think there would be a few frowns. Of course maybe some of my very own nurses read this?!! (hi guys! you all rock!! :D ) so what would I know, but somehow I get the feeling being quiet about it might be the way to go. Of course I am considering getting a IHD top to wear in there, which might cause some discussion.. :)

My main goal here is to not swamp my new friend, but to try and help her see that life does go on and that things will get better... and of course I want her to know I'm a nice person :)

oh, we shared some musk sticks yesterday which took me back to my school days. YUM!!!

Thanks again for all your suggestions :) Muchly apprieciated...

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2007, 08:05:21 PM »

I've gotten the "You don't believe everything you read on the internet" response as well when I talk about this website, or any of the dozens of others with good info.  I think they would all prefer that we wait for them to spoon feed us what information they think we need.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2007, 08:43:28 PM »

oh, we shared some musk sticks yesterday which took me back to my school days. YUM

what is a musk stick?

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2007, 09:07:32 PM »

Bring them at gunpoint to the IHD site.  Hahaha!
Not really.
Just gently coax the people who think we are all a bunch of weirdos over here to come take a serious look.
They might like us!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2007, 12:29:23 AM »

what is a musk stick?

ah, yes.. I wondered if this might throw some people.

I don't know about in North America or even europe, but when I was a kid (we're talking the 70's here folks) we used to have musk flavoured life savers (I know they have those in the US so you know what I mean.. the little candy things) and musk/fruit "sticks" - I guess the best way to describe them (apart from pure sugar :) ) is that they were these long sort of ridged sticks of candy.. either musk flavoured (pink) or you could get multicoloured/flavoured sticks (fruit sticks) green, yellow, orange etc.

Used to be a real treat as a kid...

so out of nowhere I get offered one and it took me right back to my school days! LOL.. it was so cool (and glad I am not a diabetic!! :) ).

btw at my unit they are not really about spoon feeding info or stuff (thank god). They are pretty good about giving information (some nurses better than others) so I think I am luckier than some....

27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2007, 09:38:16 AM »

I've gotten the "You don't believe everything you read on the internet" response as well when I talk about this website, or any of the dozens of others with good info.  I think they would all prefer that we wait for them to spoon feed us what information they think we need.
Me too!! When I was telling my nurses that I should have the same cannulator when establishing buttonhole or when I was talking about nxstage .. I think the nurses don't like it when I know more than them so if they don't know it they say it MUST be wrong information  :banghead;

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2007, 09:32:40 PM »

For a first time dialysis patient, I would say RUN! RUN FAST!  Seriously, they are usually too sick to think of anything to say or ask the first few times they are in the unit.  Talk to them and let them know they can ask questions. Drop the flyer for this site in their lap.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2007, 03:51:25 AM »

Actually she seems to be doing fine. Alas today I was in a different room (all by myself :( ) and so didn't not get to talk to her except for on the way out I stopped by to say hello and she seemed quite cheery... maybe because she didn't have me to bug her for 5 hours ! LOL.

Although her sister did come to see me in my little private room and said that aparently she had been told I was "nice" which was a bit of an ego boost :)

No flyers yet... hey still trying to give her my phone number let alone IHD address!!! haha just kidding :D

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »