I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:58:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Can a man still father children while on dialysis or after transplant?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can a man still father children while on dialysis or after transplant?  (Read 21514 times)
Sara
Elite Member

« on: January 26, 2006, 06:47:09 PM »

Would any of the drugs after transplant potentially cause birth defects or other problems?

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 12:14:42 AM »

Would any of the drugs after transplant potentially cause birth defects or other problems?

While I can't speak for after a transplant but I have been on dialysis for 12+ years and I have a healthy son who is 8 years old. You do the math.  ;)

Some people suffer from impotence after being on dialysis however there is no proof that dialysis causes impotence many doctors believe it's the mans own self image that causes a psychological block meaning they feel or think the opposite sex will not be attracted to them anymore due to the dialysis access or or problems associated with dialysis.

I will do some research and also ask some transplantees if they had/have any problems.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
secondchance

live in bahamas but stuck in the US

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 08:26:00 PM »

Couldn't agree more. I think its more of a psychological problem ,not a physical one.

Live to die another day....
Bear

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 06:48:06 PM »

Well I don't think mine is psychological - I was _that_ sick before I even got onto P.D.,
that my libido was virtually nil. P.D. didn't improve it, except for a short while after I had an iron infusion :)
I haven't really been on haemo long enough to tell.... :-\
Doctor's love saying "Oh it's psychological tho, when they don't have an answer...the girls'll
know about that from P.M.S.!"   :) ::)

waves...Bear
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 04:55:25 PM »

I never had any children during dialysis or after transplant but can say that desire and ability were never affected by either.  I can recall mentally undressing more than a few dialysis nurses during treatment.  Once I told one that she probably looked good in a bikini...that was a lapse of judgement and I regretted the comment immediately but...she probably does look good in one.
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 10:36:31 PM »

I never had any children during dialysis or after transplant but can say that desire and ability were never affected by either.  I can recall mentally undressing more than a few dialysis nurses during treatment.  Once I told one that she probably looked good in a bikini...that was a lapse of judgement and I regretted the comment immediately but...she probably does look good in one.

I like you.  ;D please go to the "Introduce yourself" section and tell us about yourself. I know you did in your very first post, but we need to know more about YOU not just the dialysis part.

- Epoman
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 10:40:35 PM by Epoman » Logged

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 06:00:39 AM »

I just read somewhere (kidney.org maybe) that sperm counts can drop in a man on dialysis.  Joe went to the doctor yesterday and talked to them about testing to see what's what.  I guess we'll see.  If it's not an option, on to adoption!

Joe died July 18, 2007
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 08:06:14 AM »

I just read somewhere (kidney.org maybe) that sperm counts can drop in a man on dialysis.  Joe went to the doctor yesterday and talked to them about testing to see what's what.  I guess we'll see.  If it's not an option, on to adoption!

::)

Did you know ALOT of things can lower sperm count, hell certain foods a man eats can lower sperm count. ::) Why is Joe going to go through testing? Why not just have a bunch of sex and try? I have seen ALOT of men be on dialysis and have kids, myself included. Some couples it takes time to get pregnant, others it's the first time, it took my wife and I about 6 months of trying, however my friend who is perfectly healthy, it took him and his wife over a year

- Epoman
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 09:20:44 AM by Epoman » Logged

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2006, 10:39:46 AM »

Because we've been trying for over 5 years.  I have problems ovulating, which we know from experience can be fixed with certain medications.  But we are probably going to need to have fairly expensive procedures done if we want to get pregnant, and it would be nice to know if there's anything to work with, before we spend that money.

Joe died July 18, 2007
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 02:10:18 PM »

Because we've been trying for over 5 years.  I have problems ovulating, which we know from experience can be fixed with certain medications.  But we are probably going to need to have fairly expensive procedures done if we want to get pregnant, and it would be nice to know if there's anything to work with, before we spend that money.

Fair enough, now I understand the WHOLE story, you left out that very important piece of the puzzle. It would seem Joe would/should have been tested years ago even before the dialysis "thing" started. I wish you luck and I hope you have a child, it is a wonderful thing to be a parent. a child will give Joe a passion to fight this disease that he does not know yet.  :)

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

Mandarin

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 10:39:23 AM »

Hey, my brother had a transplant a few years ago, and he and his wife had a baby boy 3 months ago.  The baby is healthy.  Good luck!

My husband says,"the glass is half full, not half empty", I almost believe him.
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 11:33:29 AM »

Just an FYI, I did find out that with Lyrica, one of the meds Joe is taking for restless legs, you must consult your doctor before trying to have children.  I think it may cause birth defects. 

Joe died July 18, 2007
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 01:27:19 PM »

Just an FYI, I did find out that with Lyrica, one of the meds Joe is taking for restless legs, you must consult your doctor before trying to have children.  I think it may cause birth defects. 

REALLY? wow great thanks for posting that, maybe you should also mention that in the RLS thread as well.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 08:25:56 PM »

REALLY? wow great thanks for posting that, maybe you should also mention that in the RLS thread as well.
Is copy paste okay in this situation?
Just a thought :)

Anyway, I know when I had a transplant i felt healthy enough but I have no kids and haven't gotten married yet. I do know people who have had a transplant and went on to have kids. Basically though you would be higher risk (girls) but this is about men becoming fathers .. I never thought about it from that point of view. I know the medication is dangerous for nursing mothers so they must use a bottle to feed the baby. I am curious if there is any documentation on fathers!

As for women, I don't think it is wise for women on PD to have kids because there would not be enough room for a baby to grow. I don't know how HD would be though even though if it does happen, I am pretty sure the baby could be carried to full term.

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »