I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:56:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Working while on Dialysis
| | |-+  Going on disability
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Going on disability  (Read 6909 times)
frankswife

« on: May 31, 2012, 04:11:46 AM »

Hello, all! I was wondering how it works to go on disability. Frank is not yet on dialysis, but he works overnights at a very physical job and I can see how worn down he is really getting. I would like to have him home where I can care for him, but we absolutely cannot survive on just my salary. Luckily though I carry our health insurance. Anyway, I hear horror stories about the process for SSD. I hear you are ALWAYS turned down the first time and that the process can take three years. Are you automatically considered disabled once you are on dialysis? He would have to quit to apply, right? I take it that wouldnt look too good. I just dont know what to do, if anything, and would appreciate any advice.

"If we all abandon our posts, who then will stand?" St. Augustine
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 08:01:19 AM »

I was approved pre dialysis.  There are papers for the doctors to fill out and they ask for a description of your job. (be very detailed).     I was approved in 3 months.  And the first check I received was a large back pay check.  They determined that I had been disabled long before I applied.  They can only go back one year for back pay, but that was an incredible surprise and we really needed it.    About 4 months after applying and being approved, I got my first disability check.    Kidney failure has a special claus in the disability requirements and is usually an automatic approval.     

I don't have any horror stories.  Mine all went smoothly.   I did mine completely online and it was easy.  I think online is less confusing for everyone.  Everything is spelled out and right there for you.

Now, my sister applied for disability for her arthritis, fibro but immediately got turned down.  She hired a lawyer and finally got it approved.   You shouldn't have any of that with kidney failure.    Good luck --- keep us updated.   :2thumbsup;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
msrosefromms

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 10:19:40 AM »

I also applied for disability. I did not get it until I started  dialysis. I started
PD training in Sept and got my first check in Oct. I was approved but needed to start dialysis. I understand with Hemo, it doesn't start until the 3rd month.

EDITED: Fixed spacing in post- kitkatz, Moderator

« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 10:20:28 PM by kitkatz » Logged

Less than 15% kidney function Oct 2009
1st PD Catheter July 2010
2nd PD Catheter Aug 2010
Started PD Oct 10 on Baxter Home Choice
Had to switch to Liberty Cycler Apr 2011
wrandym

Whatever, dude!

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 01:40:49 PM »

I was denied disability because I am working full time.  I applied after my 2nd bout with pneumonia in 6 months...I now feel like I will be working until I drop

Abyssus abyssum invocat

1982 Diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes-started on pork insulin
1999 Started showing protein in urine
2000 Retinal issues began-ended with losing sight in both eyes due to retinal detachment-sight returned by surgery
2003 Started on Insulin Pump
2008 November started hemodialysis
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 02:25:11 PM »

Sometimes when you have ESRD you are approved on the first try- my husband was.

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
MightyMike

Why do bad things always happen to good people?

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 03:39:43 PM »

I was denied disability because I am working full time.  I applied after my 2nd bout with pneumonia in 6 months...I now feel like I will be working until I drop
I believe you have to go on disability first through FMLA (family medical leave act) for 3 months considered short term then if your going to continue to long term you can file for SSDI then if your approved you get your first check 5 months from the time you filed.  That's the way it worked for me I guess they don't want to approve if it might be a short term situation but is anything short term when you have ESRD. 

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
   -Walter Bagehot
==========================
December 2003 diagnosed with IgA Nephropathy 80% Function.
October 2004 started In-Center Hemo Dialysis Perma-Cath 5% Function.
September 2005 Living Related Donor (Mother) Transplant.
March 2009 Diagnosed CKD and IgA Nephropathy.
August 2009 Upper Left Arm Fistula.
November 2009 started In-Center Hemo Dialysis.
December 2010 started Home Hemo Dialysis.
January 2012 went back to In-Center Hemo Dialysis.
Annig83

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 05:32:47 PM »

Talk to his doctor and there should be paperwork to fill out.  My process was started pre-diaylsis, but I had been hospitalized previously so everything was set in motion.  You should be able to talk directly to a social worker from SSD.  If your husband stops working completely, he should get SSD immediately.  I got mine in a month's time.  I am not sure that each state is different?  I live in Indiana.

*~Annie~*
Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts.
Arnold Bennett
Even though I have gone through so much with ESRD, my son is my inspiration to keep going.  He was delievered at 28 weeks weighing 1 lb 12 oz and today he is a fun-loving 1 year old, whom I love with all my heart!

Diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome Age 13- 1996 Unknown Cause. 35% functioning of both kidneys.
Stable until Age 27; complications with pregnancy, loss of 25% function. (Current functioning is between 5-7%).
December 3, 2010- PD Catheter Placed on Left Side
March 2011- PD Catheter Removal (Due to malfunction)
April 2011- PD Catheter Placement on Right Side
April 2011- Surgery to adjust Catheter and "tacking of fatty tissue"
May 2011- CCPD Started
October 2012- Infection of PD catheter.  PD Cath. removal surgery. Perma-Cath. Placed for Hemodialysis.
Hemodialysis started October 12, 2012.
January 16 2013- First Fistula
On Transplant List in Indiana, awaiting 1st Transplant at IU Health in Indianapolis.
frankswife

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 06:34:09 PM »

He has been approved, it only took one month to get the approval. However, we have to wait til March to get any money since you have a 5 month waiting period. Does anybody know if it's different state by state?

"If we all abandon our posts, who then will stand?" St. Augustine
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 07:25:17 PM »

I'm on disability through intermittent FMLA but I'm also blind so I have different SSDI rules, so I have a double wamy, good luck! yes and when his case is up for review you gotta be very detailed cause they are funny like that.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
neil

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 07:10:04 AM »

It seems in US it is sometimes fairly easy to get State disability help In the UK its very hard Ive been trying for a year and received no help from our Social Services so much for famous Natiional Health !
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 08:50:10 AM »

I was originally told that ESRD is NOT a disability!! Had to fight them to get them to admit that their own paperwork said that it was!  I was denied again because they said I didn't make enough money; then I was denied because my husband made $100 too much!  My husband & I had to legally separate for me to get any kind of assistance! I hated having to apply but the medical bills were sinking us.

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
neil

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 04:42:05 AM »

It seems a bit easier in the US Ive been on dialysis for 10 months in UK and have received nothing So much for the welfare state in UK
Ricksters

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 05:05:06 PM »

I applied for SSD in June when I stopped working....Got my approval letter the beginning of December, and my first check (for December) the end of January.

Ricki
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »