I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2024, 04:50:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  A couple of Qs for those who've had transplants....
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A couple of Qs for those who've had transplants....  (Read 7124 times)
lainiepop

« on: May 26, 2012, 01:40:25 PM »

Hi my transplant is on tuesday and ive bombarded my transplant nurses with tons of questions but some of the things i'd love to know i think u guys would be more help with  ;D

Basically just looking for ideas of how certain things were for you when you had yours! Curious to see how much it varies person to person (and i know it will!) Thanks in advance!

1. How did you feel when you woke up?

2. How long were you in the recovery room for before you were moved to a ward?

3. How long after did you drink/eat something?

4. How soon after did they make you (or did you want to?!) get up and about?

5. How long til your kidney function started/improved?

6. When did you feel more like yourself again?

7. When did u feel ready to drive/resume normality?!

8. Ive heard you can 'feel' the donor kidney afterwards, as in feel it being there, is this true?

9. Did you have live or cadaver donor? (this is just my nosiness lol)

10. If you had a live donor when did u get to see/speak to them/know they were doing ok?

11. Last thing, they mentioned on the phone something about a doppler, which they they connect to the kidney and to a machine which tells them kidney is working, i'd never heard of this its not in my booklets, doe anyone know what it is or had one? The girl i spoke to wasn't the transplant nurse but works with them, she didnt seem to know if u only had it for cadaver donors and couldnt tell me what exactly it was, which is why i looked it up in the transplant book which explains the things u'll have and says possibly a stent but no mention of this doppler. Did many of u have a stent? Do u know why some do and some don't?

Thank u anyway, look forward to hearing what u all have to say!!
Marie x

1982 - born with one imperfect kidney and no bladder, parents told i would not survive
1984 - urostomy op
1990 - bladder built out of colon
2007 - birth of son, gfr fall from 3O to 26
July2011 - birth of prem daughter, gfr 17%
August2011 - gfr drop to 10%
29th May2012 - RECEIVED KIDNEY 4/6 match from my wonderful dad !
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 02:42:14 PM »

I will reply later to all the other questions.

The doppler from my experience is a setting on the ultrasound machine.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 05:05:39 PM »

1) i felt pretty good after. Much better than my first 14 yrs ago. I talked to my parents. I had some pain but good pain medicine.

2) i was in ICU overnight. Got moved to a private room by supper the next day.

3) that night I had water. The next day I had liquid breakfast and liquid lunch and a real supper.

4) I don't think I got out of bed for 2 days. But mostly they were giving me a medicine that took 8 hours going in and I was trapped. That med is unusual.

5) kidney function started before they closed me up. Creatinine was down to 1 by second day after.

6) I felt really good after about a week and a half. Up until then I had a decent amount of pain.

7) I wasn't allowed to drive for 5 weeks.

8) You can feel the kidney in there if you press down on the abdomen. No big deal. Don't play rugby.

9) my first was living donor. The one this year was cadaver.

10) The first time my mother was the donor. The day after surgery I walked to her room.

11) Doppler is just a kind of ultrasound. It will feel like any other ultrasound. I had a stent. Some hospitals use them some don't. Don't know why.

You'll be fine. Your biggest problem since you have kids is you can't lift over 10 pounds for about 3 months.

Good luck!
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 07:52:37 PM »

1. How did you feel when you woke up? The first time I awoke from surgery I felt great, a big difference in the way the whole body felt.

2. How long were you in the recovery room for before you were moved to a ward? Same day

3. How long after did you drink/eat something? I was only allowed to drink and that was on the third day, but didn't drink much of it since it was cold. Only had one coffee while the rest was jello, popsicles. No broth till  told them why I was only having the coffee.

4. How soon after did they make you (or did you want to?!) get up and about? Same day/ night/ early am of next day, however you want to call it and after the nurses rushed in after I se the bed alarms off, the nurses went to get a doctor so I could get up and sit in a chair.

5. How long til your kidney function started/improved? Same day

6. When did you feel more like yourself again? When the incsion did not bother me when I coughed, laughed, or sneezed 2 to 3 weeks later.

7. When did u feel ready to drive/resume normality?! 1 day after getting out, but tried in 3 days after getting out.

8. Ive heard you can 'feel' the donor kidney afterwards, as in feel it being there, is this true? No I do not, but do not try. Doctors always feel for it and I hate that. >:(

9. Did you have live or cadaver donor? (this is just my nosiness lol). Cadaver

Diabetes -  age 7

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

bleija

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 08:09:19 PM »

these are some good question, going in for this the first time, this some stuff i never thought about and to see some others experiences is awesome, thanks
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 08:13:28 PM »

Also, if possible AVOID sport cars for a ride home. The stiff suspension does not help comfort of incision.

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 11:11:20 PM »

1. How did you feel when you woke up? - Groggy, and felt pain at the incision. Was glad to get up to my room and into "my" bed!

2. How long were you in the recovery room for before you were moved to a ward? - Not really sure, didn't know what time I went in or got out, but I guess maybe around 2-3 hours. This is just a guess

3. How long after did you drink/eat something? - I was taken up to my room at night, maybe around 8 or 9 or so. Nothing for that night. Clear liquid diet for breakfast, regular liquid lunch, and solids by dinner.

4. How soon after did they make you (or did you want to?!) get up and about? - The next morning.

5. How long til your kidney function started/improved? - Mine took a while, it is a slow-moving kidney. My donor is older, 67, but in very good health. My kidney's  creatinine remained stable, but high, in the hospital, and took 2 or 3 months to get below 2.

6. When did you feel more like yourself again? - I had my transplant on 11/23/2011, I started feeling better again in mid to late Dec, and for sure better in January.

7. When did u feel ready to drive/resume normality?! - I got the okay to drive at 2 weeks (was off pain meds right before I left the hospital), and resumed normality in January when I returned to work (4 hr days for 2 wks, then 6 hr days for 2 wks, then 8 hr days)

8. Ive heard you can 'feel' the donor kidney afterwards, as in feel it being there, is this true? - I thought I felt it when I would do things like move my right leg up so I could shave my legs, or sit on the bed and move my right leg up to clip toenails, put on socks, etc. However, now I think I was just feeling scar tissue!

9. Did you have live or cadaver donor? (this is just my nosiness lol) - Live donor!  My Dad's cousin's wife, Lynn. She offered to donate to me out of the blue (which is how it seemed to me, but in reality, she spent a good amount of time thinking about it, praying about it, talking to her clergy and her family) and she passed all the testing with flying colors! At age 67, with this being her first ever surgery, she bounced back better than some donors in their 20's! She went into the whole thing with a positive attitude and was excited about it. She wasn't even nervous! (I was, I admit it!)

10. If you had a live donor when did u get to see/speak to them/know they were doing ok? - My Dad's cousin (okay, and my cousin, too) came into my room and told me how she was doing. She was a couple of rooms down from mine. I saw her the very next day, I just can't remember how I did. Did she come to my room first, or me to hers? That is what I don't remember!

11. Yes, I had a stent. It's not a whole lot of fun getting that removed, but it isn't that bad, either. Once it's over, it's over!

Other things you'll want to know: Yoga pants! If you don't have some, get some! If they tend to fit you snugly, I recommend getting the next size up, because you will want it to fit gently around your waist. I lived in yoga pants after surgery!

And what Chris said about sports cars. You don't want to get into a car that's too low or too high. Four-door cars are best, since the doors aren't heavy. If you know someone who has a Nissan Cube, that would be the perfect car to get driven around in. They're the right height!

Also, and they'll go over this with you in the hospital, either PT or OT, but one important thing is, do you have a support system in the bathroom around the toilet? Meaning, is the toilet next to your sink/counter? Is it near the bathtub? Do you have something to grab or hold onto while you get up from it? If not, can you get a walker? You will be using it a lot more now, with an incision, so this will be important!!! Your muscles around  your new kidney will need to heal, so you will not be able to use them to help you get up like normal. Something to think about!

KarenInWA

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
mcclane

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 03:20:38 PM »

Hi my transplant is on tuesday and ive bombarded my transplant nurses with tons of questions but some of the things i'd love to know i think u guys would be more help with  ;D

- first off, congrats on your (upcoming) transplant !  :clap; :clap;

- groggier than hell, thanks to the anaesthetic.  I just felt like I wanted to sleep, but I couldn't.

- in my hospital, there wasn't a recovery room per se, they just wheeled me out in an open area where the nurses could monitor you constantly.  I have no idea no long I was there until they moved me back to my room.  I was told by my wife that I didn't get back into my room until 5 or 6 pm (I was wheeled into the surgery area around 8 am).

- they only gave me a sip of water for a day or 2, then they started on liquid diets, like jello and broth.  I was starving for solid food at that point  :rofl;

- I wanted to get up as soon as they wheeled me back into my room, but the anaesthetic made me too lightheaded to get out of bed.  The next day a nurses' aide came back and made you get out of bed, whether you liked it or not  :yahoo; :yahoo; :rofl; - and that is a good thing.  Laying around in bed won't help you heal faster, nor will it numb the pain any faster either.  Weird as it seems, the more you walked around the  less painful it became.

- almost right away.  My creatine before surgery was over 1000, after it was like around 140, then dropped steadily during my stay in the hospital, to around 115 ish.  Potassium levels were a tad on the low side but still within range.  My phosphorous levels tanked so low that I required supplements to boost levels, to this day I'm still on those supplements.

- as soon as I could get out of bed myself I felt like myself (that was day 3 or 4 I believe) - as you can tell, I hate being stuck in a hospital bed, so I tried my best to haul my arse out of bed under my own steam ASAP.  My transplant was feb 7, 2012.

- hospital recommended about 6 weeks before I should drive, or whenever you can shoulder check safely.  I said screw that and started driving the day after they discharged me from the hospital.  :beer1;  I made damn sure (plus I made a promise to myself) that I would resume my normal life the next day after discharge, and I did.  I was discharged on valentine's day, so my wife and I spent a nice evening together  at home, it was great.
- throughout my entire dialysis days, I continued to workout, and that was my biggest promise to myself, was to haul my butt into the gym the next day after discharge, and I did that.
- I have a pickup and a jeep that's lifted, so that helped immensely.  So with either vehicle, getting out was nice as my legs were pretty much fully extended.  Getting in was ok too, as I didn't have to scooch low or anything.

8. Ive heard you can 'feel' the donor kidney afterwards, as in feel it being there, is this true?
- if I run my fingers near the incision area, yes, I can feel my mom's kidney there.  As for feeling it inside me, I just feel a lump whenever I get up from a sitting pos'n.

- live, my mom's  :bow; :beer1;

10. If you had a live donor when did u get to see/speak to them/know they were doing ok?
- the next day as my mom's room was just across the hallway and down abit from mine.  She actually got up out of bed before I did.

11. Last thing, they mentioned on the phone something about a doppler, which they they connect to the kidney and to a machine which tells them kidney is working, i'd never heard of this its not in my booklets, doe anyone know what it is or had one? The girl i spoke to wasn't the transplant nurse but works with them, she didnt seem to know if u only had it for cadaver donors and couldnt tell me what exactly it was, which is why i looked it up in the transplant book which explains the things u'll have and says possibly a stent but no mention of this doppler. Did many of u have a stent? Do u know why some do and some don't?
- I have no clue what this doppler is.  I would assume that all the tests done on the donor would indicate whether or not the kidney is working ?? 
- I had a stent, I believe (but someone correct me on this) a stent is up to the hospital doing the transplant.  I know some do and some don't, but mine did.  And I also know yanking that sucker out is not fun, as there is only one way in and one way to get that stent out - and it doesn't involve surgery.  Not sure about this, but a stent may help the kidney drain urine and also help the connections heal ??
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 10:26:08 PM »

Okay, so much of this is not going to help you at all.  I had complications up the wazoo, and just about every where else, too.

1. I was terrified when I woke up.  The drugs made me hallucinate giant spiders climbing out of the walls, and made me paranoid enough that I thought the nurse was trying to kill me and was keeping my sister out of the room so she couldn't witness it.  (I apologized when I came down enough to realize where I was and wonder why I was in restraints.)

2. How long were you in the recovery room for before you were moved to a ward?  - Longer than normal, I'm sure.  I believe they moved me shortly after I stopped wrapping imaginary Christmas gifts while my hands were still in the restraints.

3. How long after did you drink/eat something?  They brought me ice chips in the room, and then water, but no clue how long after.

4. How soon after did they make you (or did you want to?!) get up and about? -  Okay - long messy story here about intestines twisting in a knot and me screaming a lot, when they tried to get me to walk to the bathroom to "relieve my constipation" - we'll skip this part.

5. How long til your kidney function started/improved?  Immediately, and got better constantly.  Stayed strong even when everything else went to hell.

6. When did you feel more like yourself again?  - Uh.... still working on it.  But better now than I did before transplant, even with all the other issues.  Totally worth it.

7. When did u feel ready to drive/resume normality?!  Had to relearn to walk first before they let me...details, details!

8. I was such a mess, not such I'm the best judge of if I can feel my new kidney and pancreas.  Too much scar tissue and nerve damage.

9. Cadaver - got THE CALL while I was on D.

10. Gift of Life lets you send letters to the family of your donor.  I got one from my donor's mom, along with a picture of my donor, Lenice.

11. Yup - doppler is just a type of ultrasound.  Might be slightly uncomfortable if they are pressing down on the incision, but otherwise non-invasive.
I had a stent - as mentioned, I think it just depends on the hospital's protocols.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

SugarBear

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 11:10:42 PM »

My transplant was three months ago on March 1st.

1. How did you feel when you woke up?  I was sleepy and tired.

2. How long were you in the recovery room for before you were moved to a ward?  It took a while to get me a room, I was there for a good ten hours.

3. How long after did you drink/eat something?  I was on a fluid diet for the first four days before I tried solid food.  I had a hard time eating heavy foods the following two days before it got a little better.

The very next morning I was told I could get up.
5. How long til your kidney function started/improved?  It started right away but not fast, I was told I have a sleepy kidney that will slowly wake up.

6. When did you feel more like yourself again?  I have yet to feel like myself, but it could be the CMV I have now that is hampering how I feel.

7. When did u feel ready to drive/resume normality?!  I am sure I could drive but I don't own a car.  The fatigue and nausea makes it difficult to feel normal.  Also I now have a low white blood count so I'm back to self imposed captivity.

8. Ive heard you can 'feel' the donor kidney afterwards, as in feel it being there, is this true?  I thought I did at first but that turn out to be the swelling.  Now I can feel it sometimes, but it was the doctor who originally found it by poking around.  Also I was told by my doctor that my donor kidney was bigger than an average kidney.

9. Did you have live or cadaver donor? (this is just my nosiness lol) I had a cadaver donor.

10. If you had a live donor when did u get to see/speak to them/know they were doing OK?  N/A

11. Last thing, they mentioned on the phone something about a Doppler, which they they connect to the kidney and to a machine which tells them kidney is working, I'd never heard of this its not in my booklets, doe anyone know what it is or had one? The girl i spoke to wasn't the transplant nurse but works with them, she didn't seem to know if u only had it for cadaver donors and couldn't tell me what exactly it was, which is why i looked it up in the transplant book which explains the things I'll have and says possibly a stent but no mention of this Doppler. Did many of u have a stent?

Do u know why some do and some don't?  A Doppler was not mention during the initial phone call, but at the hospital many test were done so who knows if they did one on me.

I did have a stent place, it was removed about a month after the transplant.

I would take a small bag of creature comforts for sure, my stay was a week long!
Hope these help!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 11:14:18 PM by SugarBear » Logged

Xbox GT: ShonumShogun

CKD due to FSGS 1999
Drop from Stage 4 to Stage 2 ESRD 2000
ESRD 2005
Started Dialysis September 13, 2006
Short Daily Home Hemo March 2009
Back to In-Center Hemo August 2009 (Too Many Hours)
Nocturnal Home Hemo with Remote Viewers  May 2010
Received Transplant March 1, 2012
Transplant Failed in October 2017
Nocturnal Home Hemo with Remote Viewers December 2017
bleija

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 11:29:34 PM »

Okay, so much of this is not going to help you at all.  I had complications up the wazoo, and just about every where else, too.

1. I was terrified when I woke up.  The drugs made me hallucinate giant spiders climbing out of the walls, and made me paranoid enough that I thought the nurse was trying to kill me and was keeping my sister out of the room so she couldn't witness it.  (I apologized when I came down enough to realize where I was and wonder why I was in restraints.)

2. How long were you in the recovery room for before you were moved to a ward?  - Longer than normal, I'm sure.  I believe they moved me shortly after I stopped wrapping imaginary Christmas gifts while my hands were still in the restraints.

3. How long after did you drink/eat something?  They brought me ice chips in the room, and then water, but no clue how long after.

4. How soon after did they make you (or did you want to?!) get up and about? -  Okay - long messy story here about intestines twisting in a knot and me screaming a lot, when they tried to get me to walk to the bathroom to "relieve my constipation" - we'll skip this part.

5. How long til your kidney function started/improved?  Immediately, and got better constantly.  Stayed strong even when everything else went to hell.

6. When did you feel more like yourself again?  - Uh.... still working on it.  But better now than I did before transplant, even with all the other issues.  Totally worth it.

7. When did u feel ready to drive/resume normality?!  Had to relearn to walk first before they let me...details, details!

8. I was such a mess, not such I'm the best judge of if I can feel my new kidney and pancreas.  Too much scar tissue and nerve damage.

9. Cadaver - got THE CALL while I was on D.

10. Gift of Life lets you send letters to the family of your donor.  I got one from my donor's mom, along with a picture of my donor, Lenice.

11. Yup - doppler is just a type of ultrasound.  Might be slightly uncomfortable if they are pressing down on the incision, but otherwise non-invasive.
I had a stent - as mentioned, I think it just depends on the hospital's protocols.

Wow, all I can say is what an experience... i hope ours is far from this!!!  lol but wow i hope things smoothed out :bow;
WishIKnew

Alports, dialysis '07-'12,cancer'11,transplant '12

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 08:28:59 AM »

I waited almost 5 years on the list and got the call at 3 a.m.  My husband, my 14 yr old son and I arrived at the hospital about 4:30 a.m.  I was so excited I was literally dancing around and everyone though my husband, who was in a wheel chair with a cast on his ankle from a ankle surgery just days before, was the patient.  We had to wait for my sister-in-law to come over and stay with our old anxiety filled dog and it's an hour drive to my transplant center.  They got me into a room about 5 and we waited.  They drew blood and ran tests.  at 10 they announced it was definitely a go and they were simply waiting for an open operating room.

They wheeled me into pre-op around 11.  I went into surgery about 1.  I was excited and anxious and pretty doped up.

I came out of surgery into post-op about 5 p.m..  All went well.  I remained in post op until 3 a.m., not because anything was wrong but because there were no beds in ICU.  During the post-op time I peed over 4 liters!  Everyone was thrilled! I just remember fading in and out and being really thirsty.  I don't remember being in pain.

I was in ICE about 12 hours (3 a.m. to 3 p.m.)  During that time I remember crying because of all of the overwhelming emotions.  The nurses got me up to sit in a chair for awhile.  I remember that hurting a lot.  I did not like the foley catheter which I had for 5 days.

They wheeled me in a wheel chair to my room.  I don't remember much of this but I am told I was giddy and over joyed and chattered a lot.  This was Friday afternoon.

I was shocked to see how big the incision was.  30 staples.  I was uncomfortable because they had shaved part of my pubic hair and as they began to grow they poked my thigh and caused like a rash.  At the time it was annoying, but looking back really no big deal!

On Monday the physical therapist came with a walker to teach me how to sit up and get out of bed and try to get me to walk a little with the walker.  She could not find me because I was out slowly walking all over the unit.  I had bee since Saturday.  Guess I didn't know I was supposed to wait for her.  LOL

There was a lot of medication education and even a test of my meds I had to pass before they would release me.  I was taking 32 pills a day when released.  They sent me home with a month supply of meds. (4 month out now, I'm down to 17 pills a day).

I was released on Tuesday afternoon.  I was in pain but tried to keep in front of it with y pain meds.  I slept a lot for the first week or two.

I went back just a week later to get my PD catheter removed and that surgery I felt was a little too soon.  I just needed more time to heal, but, I will say now, I'm glad they just did it whole I was already in pain and just got it done!  I worried about having the staples removed but that really was no big deal at all.

I've had one hospitalization since transplant and that was for an infection.  I had a stomach bug and they hospitalized me to keep an eye on me.  No big deal.  I felt fine.

It took longer than I expected to get moving again.  Try not to expect too much of yourself too soon.  Think in terms of months, not  weeks.

I'd do it all again in a heartbeat.  I wish you the best tomorrow!!!!!

:flower; :flower; :flower;

I
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 11:43:55 AM »

Me typing on behalf of Blokey (who has no idea why I'm asking him random questions about transplantation!)

Anxious, nervous, scared; he had a doctor leaning over him running an ultrasound and sounding worried.

Quite a long time (a good few hours) but only because they were thinking they might have to take him back into surgery to sort something out.  They didn't.

Drank: within an hour of being on the ward. Eat: A couple of days.

Two days to get him into a chair, three days to get him walking round the ward. I remember he really didn't want to move and was being a stubbon chap!

Straight away, but not very well.  Took about three weeks to properly kick in.

About a week after (when he got home from Hospital and his mum's) but still not really happy as Our Kidney wasn't functioning properly.

Felt up to driving about three weeks after the op, but didn't actually drive till just after four weeks.  Didn't go back to work for two and a bit months, but that was mainly because he had lots of holiday accrued.

He says his stomach feels like it's bulging.  He isn't sure if it's psychological though!

He has mine!

We saw each other the following morning.  The nurses/my mum relayed how we were to each other.

Can't help with number 11 though! 

*huggles* for tomorrow!!

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
lainiepop

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 12:54:58 PM »

Thank u all so much for all your input sorry i havent had a chance to reply to your posts indiviidually but its 9pm here in the uk and im gonna pack my bag and try sleep cos we have to be in hospital 7am tomorrow, dad goes down at 8.30 i'll be hanging round til lunch time, will be the worst part! Getting worried now! Your words have helped me tons i just wish i could fast forward a couple weeks u know!! Will update youall when i can with my experiences post transplsnt lolxx

1982 - born with one imperfect kidney and no bladder, parents told i would not survive
1984 - urostomy op
bleija

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 01:37:42 PM »

let us know how everything goes once ur feeling up to it... good luck, best wishes hope everything goes smoothly... im excited and nervous for you
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2012, 01:50:48 PM »

Thank u all so much for all your input sorry i havent had a chance to reply to your posts indiviidually but its 9pm here in the uk and im gonna pack my bag and try sleep cos we have to be in hospital 7am tomorrow, dad goes down at 8.30 i'll be hanging round til lunch time, will be the worst part! Getting worried now! Your words have helped me tons i just wish i could fast forward a couple weeks u know!! Will update youall when i can with my experiences post transplsnt lolxx
Gosh, we were both admitted to Hospital the evening before (although in hindsight that may have been because Blokey had a final haemoD session and it wasn't worth driving home thirty miles only to drive back again hours later.)

Will wait patiently for updates.

;D

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2012, 06:47:39 PM »

A little slow on my reply!  Regarding feeling the kidney: yes, I can actually feel mine.  The doctors kept telling me you could feel it, so I had them show me and explain what I was feeling.  Now, I run my fingers around the outline just to remind myself that "Sean Michael" is still there!!

I'll be keeping you and your Dad in my thoughts and prayers while you go through this.   You will feel better, and every three months or so, you will feel even better.  After 1 year, I was me again!  I'm at 21 months and am still surprised how much I can do now.  I thank God for my donor every day.      :grouphug;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Meinuk

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 10:04:40 AM »

1. How did you feel when you woke up?  Groggy, and I wanted my phone.

2. How long were you in the recovery room for before you were moved to a ward? I was in surgical stepdown for three days.

3. How long after did you drink/eat something? I was on liquids almost as soon as I woke up, and I ate some cereal and the white of a hard boiled egg on day three.

4. How soon after did they make you (or did you want to?!) get up and about? Either the next day or the day after that, I'd have to go back to my diary.  At first I was sitting up in a char, and then next I was doing laps around the Nursing Station.  (It is all a blur now almost four years later)

5. How long til your kidney function started/improved? I was "peeing on the table" or so my surgeon says....

6. When did you feel more like yourself again? My skin felt cleaner almost immediately.  I've never felt "like myself" because I don't remember what that was.  BUT I was feeling very positive by day four.

7. When did u feel ready to drive/resume normality?! I lived in NYC, so no driving as a rule.  But I was up and about and dragging home a Christmas tree by week 4.

8. Ive heard you can 'feel' the donor kidney afterwards, as in feel it being there, is this true? Yes. I kind of rub the spot above my boy kidney without realizing it.

9. Did you have live or cadaver donor? (this is just my nosiness lol)  I have the kidney of a 32 year old man who died due to respiratory arrest.

10. If you had a live donor when did u get to see/speak to them/know they were doing ok? N/A

11. Last thing, they mentioned on the phone something about a doppler, which they they connect to the kidney and to a machine which tells them kidney is working, i'd never heard of this its not in my booklets, doe anyone know what it is or had one? A Doppler is a sort of hand held ultrasound that can be used to check blood flow.

The girl i spoke to wasn't the transplant nurse but works with them, she didnt seem to know if u only had it for cadaver donors and couldnt tell me what exactly it was, which is why i looked it up in the transplant book which explains the things u'll have and says possibly a stent but no mention of this doppler. Did many of u have a stent? Do u know why some do and some don't?
I had a stent.

Research Dialysis Units:  http://projects.propublica.org/dialysis/

52 with PKD
deceased donor transplant 11/2/08
nxstage 10/07 - 11/08;  30LS/S; 20LT/W/R  @450
temp. permcath:  inserted 5/07 - removed 7/19/07
in-center hemo:  m/w/f 1/12/07
list: 6/05
a/v fistula: 5/05
NxStage training diary post (10/07):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=5229.0
Newspaper article: Me dialyzing alone:  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=7332.0
Transplant post 11/08):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=10893.msg187492#msg187492
Fistula removal post (7/10): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=18735.msg324217#msg324217
Post Transplant Skin Cancer (2/14): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=30659.msg476547#msg476547

“To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of thought.” - Henri Poincare
lainiepop

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2012, 09:26:51 AM »

Hi guys all went well with op will post more later I'm just gonna start a new thread about it!x

1984 - urostomy op
MaryJoe

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2012, 09:39:27 AM »

lainiepop! I'm glad everything went so well.  :clap;  I'm also amazed you are posting this soon...glad to hear from you, but still amazed.

MJ

Whether the glass is half empty or half full is not as important as being thankful there's a glass and grateful there's something in it.
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2012, 09:56:14 AM »

:yahoo; :2thumbsup; :clap;

Looking forward to all the gory (or not so gory) details!  Hope your dad is okay too!

lainiepop

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2012, 01:52:00 PM »

Well its now 9. 30pm in UK & got my kidney from dad at around 3Pm
yesterday. I think it started working right away.

so The figures so far are: Yesterday before the OP my creatinine was 500, got
my Kidney at 3pm yesterday & this morn 6am bloods showed at 299! and at
6pm this eve level was 194! Has gone from 9% function to 16% to about 26 !
surgeon was very happy wIth it so far & bladder is draining fine but still need
to see what happens when I stand up as my bladder is in different place to
normal so its just wait & see.

Hopefully kidney's on track now
I had a real adrenalin rush & was a bit hyper & existed but that's crashing
now, just worried bout bladder more. am just shattered & scared & am
desperate to see dad, maybe tomorrow, he's amazing best dad ever. he sayS
elena makes him losing a Kidrey worthwhile & she says grandad to him now
Right need some sleep as was Woken every 20 min s last night by beepirg or
something. will keep you updated, marie x

1984 - urostomy op
lainiepop

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2012, 01:55:01 PM »

oh transplant nurse said she asked dad if he felt like he'd been hit by a bus &
he said yes, a double decker bus! love him & am so proud of him, but they
told me he's just worried bout how I'm doing aww & was chuffed his kidneys
working so quickly in me too x

1984 - urostomy op
lainiepop

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2012, 03:26:53 PM »

just got my Latest blood results, Creatinine 86, gfr 7O, lowest I've ever had, can't wait to tell dad. I'm half Laughing half crying & it hurts but I don't care !! Just hope it stays this way!x

1984 - urostomy op
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2012, 03:44:32 PM »

:bandance; :bandance; :bandance; :bandance; :bandance;

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »