I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 08:21:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Is it common to not allow visitors during treatments?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is it common to not allow visitors during treatments?  (Read 6668 times)
Sara
Elite Member

« on: January 26, 2006, 06:32:20 PM »

I went with Joe to his first session and was expecting to be able to stay with him and was told, uh NO you can't come back.  Just seems like it'd make it a little bit easier/nicer to be able to chat with a loved one.

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
hyperlite

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 06:41:59 PM »

Probably depends on the clinic...i know that I'm allowed a couple visitors and they can stay as long as they want (except going on and coming off) as long as they arent in the way
geoffcamp

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 06:46:50 PM »

That is BULLSHIT (sorry for language but it is appropriate)!!!!!!  You need to talk to the dialysis center administrator and tell them you want to stay and you will stay out of the way but you want to support and learn about what your husband is going through.  If she says no then I would file a grievance there should be posters up in the center telling you how and where to file your grievance.  If you have problems give me the phone number of those people giving you issues about this and I'll set them straight!  I cannot believe someone would dare tell you that you can't stay with him, it is absurd!

Geoff

Geoffrey Campbell
Diagnosed with ESRD at 26
Transplanted in 1999 rejected 2001
In center hemodialysis since late 2001 3X a week 4 hours late evening 3rd shift
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 06:52:10 PM »

Thank you!  LOL I thought it was BS too.  I'm almost always with Joe for Dr appts and stuff like that, I didn't see why I couldn't be there.  I didn't get a good impression of that center.  The nurse didn't change the bandage on his catheter - said it looked fine, yet the next day when I checked it, it was bloody and gross.  He is changing centers this weekend, so if they don't let me back there I will think about filing a grievance.  I needed someone to back me up on that, so thanks Geoff!

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
geoffcamp

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 07:18:00 PM »

sara,

I believe they are REQUIRED to change the dressing on the cath. The become very easily infected, so next time someone say it looks ok have him say thanks but I want you to clean and change it anyway.  I know at my center they require dressing changes at every visit.  Remember, you and most importantly he have all the power, this is his health and life they are toying with make your own judgements and stand by them and if they refuse speak with the doctor (they are on call so you can call them anytime) or the administrator or charge nurse.   be proactive... it is a good thing epoman put this site up so you can get this information.  I know I made MANY mistakes in my own care just by not knowing and being afraid to stand up and say I don't care what you think do it my way.

Geoff

Geoffrey Campbell
Diagnosed with ESRD at 26
Transplanted in 1999 rejected 2001
In center hemodialysis since late 2001 3X a week 4 hours late evening 3rd shift
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 09:38:31 PM »

If they don't change the access site everytime, then ask if they use a "Biopatch."  That is what my center uses.  It is a little circular patch that has antibotic stuff on it.  They only change mine once a week because of the "Biopatch."   

If I want it changed more often, I just ask and they do it.

Sara, the second center I went to was horrible!   So, I changed centers!!   ;D

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 12:18:56 AM »

Thank you!  LOL I thought it was BS too.  I'm almost always with Joe for Dr appts and stuff like that, I didn't see why I couldn't be there.  I didn't get a good impression of that center.  The nurse didn't change the bandage on his catheter - said it looked fine, yet the next day when I checked it, it was bloody and gross.  He is changing centers this weekend, so if they don't let me back there I will think about filing a grievance.  I needed someone to back me up on that , so thanks Geoff!

That's what this site is here for, you have our full support. You just DEMAND to go back there bottomline.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
kevno

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 02:32:31 PM »

Visitors are allowed on the unit but only for a sort time, if every patient had visitors there would be no room for the patients on the unit. I have had visitors, but there where told they could only stay 10  -  20 Min's I was mad about it at the time, but thinking about it, the chairs/machines are so close together, other patients are trying to sleep, read or watch TV. So now if i am in hospital for whatever.  The visitors come at a time when I am not on the machine. Even when I was a 10year old child my mum was only allowed to come twice with me, the after that I had to go to the unit myself. Did not like it at all! :'(

My dressing gets changed ever time I go on the machine.  I have had the catheter x 2, called tesio lines since October 2003. That is a lot longer than they are supposed to last. I was told 6 months. ::)

The hospital admin have tried to moved me nearer to home on many occasions.  I have always gone to look at the other units. But always stayed where I am at Manchester. I have been going to this hospital for near 33 years now and do not want to change now. >:(

Yours

Kevno

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 03:31:40 PM »

NOT CHANGE THE CATHETER BANDAGE???? :o
I used to tell friends and family that at my center they treated my catheter like a premature baby in an Intensive Care Unit!  They cleaned and recleaned and bandaged and rebandaged.   The  possibility of infection is too great to mess with a catheter, it seems.
In my center, visitors don't stay, but they can hang around and sit where they can see you if they want and if someone comes to see you while the treatment is going in on, they can come and chat for a long while.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2006, 11:07:37 PM »

You tell those people you will stay with your husband as his patient advocate!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 08:37:08 PM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
nursewratchet

"Either do it, or don't do it, don't try"

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 09:12:50 PM »

At mine, visitors can visit, as long as it's not "turnover".  Workers need to pay attention to the patient in the chair, not moving around visitors, or talking to the visitors. 

RN, Facility Administrator 2002 to present
RN, Staff Nurse 1996-2002
Vicki
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 09:23:36 PM »

My friend who has been on home hemodialysis for over 20 years is now all of a sudden incenter due to bacteria in her well water.  They can't tell her what type of bacteria.....(?) but they insist she dialyze incenter.  Her husband has always canulated her and now they are told he can't even come back with her.  They are fit to be tied.  I told them to call Medicare.  There has got to be some bend in the rules.  Anymore all there are is rules.  No food, no ice, no water, no snacks, no visitors, no cell phones.  NONE of these rules apply at my center except ice because we don't have an ice machine. OH and they won't let her plug in her electric blanket.  I feel so bad for her. 

Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 09:27:07 PM »

My friend who has been on home hemodialysis for over 20 years is now all of a sudden incenter due to bacteria in her well water.  They can't tell her what type of bacteria.....(?) but they insist she dialyze incenter.  Her husband has always canulated her and now they are told he can't even come back with her.  They are fit to be tied.  I told them to call Medicare.  There has got to be some bend in the rules.  Anymore all there are is rules.  No food, no ice, no water, no snacks, no visitors, no cell phones.  NONE of these rules apply at my center except ice because we don't have an ice machine. OH and they won't let her plug in her electric blanket.  I feel so bad for her. 

That sounds absolutely horrid!!  Doesn't she have an alternative??  Someone has to make some noise!  Get Kitkatz to go and deal with them! :Kit n Stik;

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 05:06:08 AM »

At mine, visitors can visit, as long as it's not "turnover".  Workers need to pay attention to the patient in the chair, not moving around visitors, or talking to the visitors. 

This is how it is at my centre.  However, because I do my own thing entirely, they allow people to come and watch me hook up but I let them know if anyone is coming and they put me at one end so visitor(s) won't be in the way.  We have a couple of patients who have someone with them every treatment.  No problem.  They sit at the front during patient needling and hookup.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 06:55:31 AM »

At our clinic the only time a guest can't be by you is when you are being hooked up or being taken off. Otherwise you can stay for the treatment...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
nursewratchet

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2008, 09:26:50 AM »

Same Here, Boxman.  Exception is if family member helps you with cannulation, or holding sites.   :waving;

Vicki
jessup

Gemma - the tucker monster

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2008, 03:33:15 PM »

Wow  I can't believe that I am going to write a positive post about Dads d clinic

I always take Dad, go into the clinic with him, am by his side when he gets hooked up to the machine and stay with him for about an hour.
My sister "pops in" to visit Dad when he is on the machine with her two young children at least once a week
The nurses don't seem to mind visitors, food, drinks etc.
BigSteve

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2008, 12:15:47 PM »

How strange. This topic was picked up again after two years. Would it be the ESRD Network that we would call if
we had a problem with a dialysis unit? I had a possible problem with my transplant center and called UNOS. They don't get
involved unless it has to do with allocation of organs. The problem was resolved, but I am still wondering who handles
problems we dialysis patients have with those treating us.

"I yam what I yam what I yam." Popeye's immortal words.
"Getting and spending we lay waste our powers"
If it's too big to fail, it's too big to exist.
nursewratchet

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2008, 12:20:52 PM »

Speak to the Facility Adminstrator first, and always.  She may have no idea of the problem... If she can't help you, ESRD network, or the State Health Department.  In that order, and it HAS to be posted in the lobby.  Also, when you sign consents for Dialysis, the Greivance Procedure, and contact info are reviewed and signed.  Hope this helps...

Vicki
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2008, 06:10:31 PM »

At our clinic the only time a guest can't be by you is when you are being hooked up or being taken off. Otherwise you can stay for the treatment...Boxman
Where I go, they seem to allow visitors.  Though I haven't tried personal visitors yet.  All my visitors have been strictly business:  Insurance representatives and social workers and the like.  And yes, as soon as I'm hooked up and the masks come off, they can come over and talk with me.

Frankly, some times I wish they wouldn't.  I'm trying to relax during dialysis, and I don't need to hear stories like "Well, Rightside, because you have assets totalling X, and you have an income of Y, you don't qualify for reimbursement of your treatment Z."  But heated arguments over managed care and insurance, sure do make the 3 hours fly by.   ;D
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »