I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 03:26:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Mouse Sightings
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mouse Sightings  (Read 4648 times)
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« on: April 25, 2012, 08:13:25 PM »

Just wondering about something. I am currently out on medical leave from my job. Through Facebook, I have found out that there have been frequent mouse sightings at my job. I do remember a mouse being seen about a month or so ago, and it was in my "neighborhood" of cublicles. It was spotted at the desk of the resident slob. He has a fast food bag at his desk that's been there for months, he doesn't wash or comb his hair, and he looks homeless. Yet people like him (ewww). Anyway, what I want to know is, how dangerous is this for those of us who are immune-suppressed? Should I mention this to my transplant team? Apparently, nothing is being done about this at work...yet.

KarenInWA

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 09:28:22 PM »

Not sure but I'd take some Lysol wipes back to work when you go and wipe down everything------  everyday!

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 09:46:37 PM »

I was living in an ancient mobile home 4 months after I got my transplant.  Mice were part of the deal.  I lived.

But, yeah, sanitizer wipes!  And I'd set some traps on my own, too.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 11:58:18 PM »

Does not sound good for someone with low immunity http://www.helium.com/items/686063-how-mrsa-staph-infections-can-be-spread-in-commercial-buildings

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 12:13:00 AM »

Ew, Okarol, that's so totally gross.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 12:22:39 AM »

Ew, Okarol, that's so totally gross.

I know. Sorry.  ???

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 05:14:09 AM »

I KNEW there was a reason (other than OCD)  I didn't want all these vermin and bugs in my home!  Thanks Karol for posting it.

KarenWA...might take a copy of this article to the management and ask them to eradicate the problem! 

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
mcclane

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 12:55:02 PM »

I'd be more concerned about mouse droppings, which could contain hantavirus.

Like you, I'm also concerned about returning to work - not for mice or any other rodents - but my co workers, some of 'em aren't exactly in great health and they show up hacking up a lung or sniffling like crazy (ironic that at any given day, 10 000 - 15 000 students trek thru campus but I'm not even concerned about that).
MomoMcSleepy

My son Roddy McSleepy at 6 months! sry pic sidewz

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 10:10:40 AM »

:cuddle; Thanks, Okarol, it's good information.  I'm
just going to order myself a plastic bubble to live in now (sorry, had to modify this, touchpad corrects things after it looks like it has accepted them)

And McClane, me, too.  People drag themselves in cause we get so much guff for missing work...and I work at a college, though not with as many students.  My workspace is shared, and I have to be "relieved" for restroom and lunch breaks, so I am cleaning all day, especially in the morning.. Once I get a transplant the germ war will really step up!

Edited: Fixed smiley error - okarol/admin
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 03:19:28 PM by okarol » Logged

35 years old, first dx w/  chronic renal insufficiency at  28, pre-dialysis

born with persistent cloaca--have you heard of it?  Probably not, that's ok.

lots of surgeries, solitary left kidney (congenital)

chronic uti's/pyelonephritis

AV fistula May 2012
Kidney Transplant from my husband Jan. 16, 2013
Howard the Duck
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 01:36:16 PM »

When I first came back to work, they set up a desk for me in an otherwise empty area. As soon as I moved back upstairs to my regular desk, I caught the crud! Luckily, I didn't have a fever. I did end up with low WBC, but that has since resolved. I sure was happy when that cleared up.

KarenInWA

April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
mcclane

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 04:06:42 PM »

Thanks, Okarol, it's good information.  I'm n
just going ornsby Tomlinson ballistic bubble now. 

And McClane, me, too.  People drag themselves in cause we get so much guff for missing work...and I work at a college, though not with as many students.  My workspace is shared, and I have to be "relieved" for restroom and lunch breaks, so I am cleaning all day, especially in the morning.. Once I get a transplant the germ war will really step up!
I work at a university, and enrollment is up so there is much more people on campus.  I don't get it, union states that staff get ample sick days, use it !
mcclane

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 04:07:14 PM »

When I first came back to work, they set up a desk for me in an otherwise empty area. As soon as I moved back upstairs to my regular desk, I caught the crud! Luckily, I didn't have a fever. I did end up with low WBC, but that has since resolved. I sure was happy when that cleared up.

KarenInWA
Karen,
if you don't mind me asking, how did they resolve your low WBC ?
MomoMcSleepy

My son Roddy McSleepy at 6 months! sry pic sidewz

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 10:00:10 AM »

Thanks, Okarol, it's good information.  I'm n
just going ornsby Tomlinson ballistic bubble now. 

I work at a university, and enrollment is up so there is much more people on campus.  I don't get it, union states that staff get ample sick days, use it !

I complained to HR about how much crap I was getting about the sick time, and how we get two weeks, but I was asked not to use so much sick and vacation time.. HR rep was sympathetic since my sick time was from having surgery and taking carer of my dying father, but also said something like, "well, we GET two weeks, but the University doesn't like us to use them...."

it's not just management. I work in a department where if you don't show, someone else has to do your job (which is why I'm working on a Sunday right now, for a kid who called off.  So it's not just managers, your coworkers grumble and talk behind your back when you miss.  This is why I  have told a few people about the kidney disease, including our union rep, so hopefully they won't complain.  My managers started out nice, but the scheduling manager keeps forgetting to put my days off on the calendars, then gets huffy about it.  I have filled out sick request forms, and write out all the dates neatly on a sheet of paper for him, but he still forgets.  I don't know what else to do....and I haven't even started dialysis yet, still just getting check-ups and knocking out items on the transplant team's to-do list so I can be listed.  My boss got all pissed that I have Monday off and leave early Tuesday, but I have to see an infectious disease guy, and my urologist, and those were the two earliest dates (they have different clinic days).  As he huffed while walking away, I said "I'm sorry, but I have to see these guys before I can get on the transplant list!"  Seriously, pfft!

35 years old, first dx w/  chronic renal insufficiency at  28, pre-dialysis

born with persistent cloaca--have you heard of it?  Probably not, that's ok.

lots of surgeries, solitary left kidney (congenital)

chronic uti's/pyelonephritis

AV fistula May 2012
Kidney Transplant from my husband Jan. 16, 2013
Howard the Duck
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 11:39:47 AM »

KarenInWA
Karen,
if you don't mind me asking, how did they resolve your low WBC ?

2 Neupogen shots on 2 different visits, and discontinuing the Myfortic temporarily, fixed it.

KarenInWA

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »