I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2024, 05:23:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  shoulder pain
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: shoulder pain  (Read 4348 times)
bleija

« on: March 27, 2012, 11:12:34 AM »

i posted this on another board but just trying to get some answers
i have had this shopulder pain for the longest time now. It intensifies when i lie down or when i take in deep breaths. It honestly feels likle air, but i dnt know from where. I am on PD, so my first thought was fluid. I did 2 greens the other night, as i usually do, and during the first dwell, my legs and feet were cramping so bad. you know how when u cramp u bend the oppsite direction to get it to release w3ell when i did tht it would initiate several other muscles to cramp, called my nurse about tht told him about my shoulder pain and he tolds me to go down to yellows, so i did, not cramping as bad today or even yesterday, but this pain in my shoulder is worse. My nurse thinks it could be air, and told me to make sure my liunes are primed all the way. And they always are trust me i make sure i hate the  feeling of air. but this started when i was on hemo and when i was dealing with pleurisy issues. prednisone would clear everything right up and tht seems to be the only thing thazt this pain will respond to. I would like to avoid prednisone since they give u that after tranplant i dnt want my body to biuld a tolerance for it and then it not be effective whhen i get my transplant. I dnt know what to do but im tired of this pain   
cdwbrooklyn

Positive Thoughts equal Positive Energy

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 01:16:49 PM »

Please go to the doctor; it may be from something else.  Don't wait until it's too late.  Nurses don't know everything.

Dailysis patient for since 1999 and still kicking it strong.  I was called for a transplant but could not get it due to damage veins from extremely high blood pressure.  Have it under control now, on NxStage System but will receive dailysis for the rest of my life.  Does life sucks because of this.  ABOLUTELY NOT!  Life is what you make it good, bad, sick, or healthy.  Praise God I'm still functioning as a normal person just have to take extra steps.
Annig83

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 11:45:53 AM »

Agree with cdwbrooklyn- it sounds like there is something more going on, especially if you are priming and getting the air out of the tubes.  I am on PD as well and the other day I got some air in, but it's cleared up with no issues now.  What cycler are you using?  I have just received a package in the mail stating that some of the software on certain cyclers is not working correctly.  Mine is Liberty...2.7.3 and they are having to send me a new cycler in a few weeks due to the issue of overfilling which can cause pain in certain areas (mostly the abdomen).  I would go to my primary, especially since you've had pluresy in the past. 

*~Annie~*
Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts.
Arnold Bennett
Even though I have gone through so much with ESRD, my son is my inspiration to keep going.  He was delievered at 28 weeks weighing 1 lb 12 oz and today he is a fun-loving 1 year old, whom I love with all my heart!

Diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome Age 13- 1996 Unknown Cause. 35% functioning of both kidneys.
Stable until Age 27; complications with pregnancy, loss of 25% function. (Current functioning is between 5-7%).
December 3, 2010- PD Catheter Placed on Left Side
March 2011- PD Catheter Removal (Due to malfunction)
April 2011- PD Catheter Placement on Right Side
April 2011- Surgery to adjust Catheter and "tacking of fatty tissue"
May 2011- CCPD Started
October 2012- Infection of PD catheter.  PD Cath. removal surgery. Perma-Cath. Placed for Hemodialysis.
Hemodialysis started October 12, 2012.
January 16 2013- First Fistula
On Transplant List in Indiana, awaiting 1st Transplant at IU Health in Indianapolis.
bleija

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 01:46:14 PM »

primary gave me prednisone, buit when i did this before, i would take the prednisone, and then about a week after i finished it, the pain would come back, i did this about 5 times before i said no more prednisone. he gave me something long term, but my neph told me to quit it bc kidney issues. so the pain has gona away on its own for the most part, its back to being managable.... so idk if im gioing to take the prednisone or not
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 04:11:40 PM »

I don't know anything much about pd.

It could be a nerve problem. I went to a neurolgist almost 2 yrs ago for bad shoulder pain and was diagnosed with brachial neuritis. I was on percocet for two months for the severe pain. Made it pretty hard to sit in a dialysis chair for 4 hours when I first started dialysis.

I chalked it up to a nerve being damaged by the neck line I originally had.    I have had to be very careful since the diagnosis and I don't allow anybody to take my blood pressure from my right arm where the shoulder pain was.    I actually have my bp cuff put on my leg during dialysis since I can't have a bp cuff  on my other arm where my fistula is.

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »