I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 06:35:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Help! I had Severe Cramps During Dialyis and Need to Soothe Sore Aching Legs
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help! I had Severe Cramps During Dialyis and Need to Soothe Sore Aching Legs  (Read 3852 times)
Cordelia
Elite Member

« on: March 15, 2012, 09:42:05 AM »

Does anyone have any advice/ideas on how to get rid of achy/very sore legs after a dialysis session gone bad TWO days ago.        :'(         ???     My legs are still @#@$%&* sore 2 days later.      This is has never happened to me before where its lasted this long like this and it's driving me nuts!        :urcrazy;   UUUUUuuuuuugh!         :urcrazy;

The soreness is right in the front of my legs on the shin bone            ::)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 10:00:21 AM by Cordelia » Logged

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 12:27:34 PM »

Cordelia, I have no advise, but I feel for you. What went wrong at dialysis?
Traveller1947

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 12:51:23 PM »

Have you tried a very warm bath with your legs stretched in front of you?
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 01:12:48 PM »

Hi Billy and Traveller,

I had a thought after I posted this earlier......I ended up wrapping myself in a blanket warmer and laid under the blanket for a whole hour. I think they feel better, finally...Whew!  I was desperate and cranked up the heat. I was careful to watch my legs that the heat didn't get too hot and I was okay. It felt soothing and I think it worked.

I also had a very hot shower this afternoon and sprayed the nozzle spray right on my shins too.

Right on the shin bone hurts  when you're cramping so I found out. OMG      ::)

On Tuesday the nurse tried to take a little extra fluid off and we found out that didn't work ......thank goodness they finallly established a "new" dry weight so now we know not to go any lower than 66.5 kgs. Unfortunately, I found out the hard way. I have never, ever have my legs hurt THAT bad for.....THAT long!        ::)

Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
M3Riddler

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 01:28:43 PM »

Does anyone have any advice/ideas on how to get rid of achy/very sore legs after a dialysis session gone bad TWO days ago.        :'(         ???     My legs are still @#@$%&* sore 2 days later.      This is has never happened to me before where its lasted this long like this and it's driving me nuts!        :urcrazy;   UUUUUuuuuuugh!         :urcrazy;

The soreness is right in the front of my legs on the shin bone            ::)

Cordelia,

Could be anything  from:

1. They may be pulling too much fluid off,
2. Too much fluid off too fast
3. Blood flow rate is too high
4. Dry weight has decreased

How much fluid do they normally pull off per treatment?  per hour ?   
If they are pulling more then .4 ( 400cc's) give or take a few hundred per hour depending on the individual, then they are pulling too much off.  The veins can only hold approx 400cc's of fluid at a given time. The fluid must travel through 3 compartments before reaching the bloodstream - tissues - cells - bloodstream.  If they have taken the limit of approx .4 off per hour, then this stresses not only your veins, but also your heart as well as cause cramping. This usually occurs towards the end of the treatment.
I'm sure if you ever had cramping, they give you saline. This totally  reverses  the reason you are there.  You are just undoing what you have been there all that time for for dialysis. You go there to get fluid removed, but as it turns out, when you start cramping, they give you fluid, sometimes you end up leaving the center weighing more than what you went in.
The answer is a slower blood flow, a longer treatment and a slower fluid ultrafiltration rate.   the high blood flow they normally use in center
(over 400) is not good for the body as it puts a lot of stress on the body.   The reason why they use such high blood flows is to get you in and out so the next person can be dialyzed as in-center is like an assembly line. Its all about money rather than optimal dialysis.
This is why home dialysis where you can run longer treatments 5 or 6 days per week is much better for the body. No roller coaster rides in fluid levels as well as toxins flowing through the body. Not to mention the liberal diet since you are dialyzing so often.

Hope this helps...

///M3Riddler

Admin of Dialysis Discussion Uncensored on Facebook  

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 01:57:17 PM »

So glad to hear you've solved your problem.  I hope you never have to experience that again!  All the best to you.
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 05:52:36 AM »

I think I reached my dry weight, hit it a little too soon too as the cramping hit a half hour before end of treatment......I don't cramp often--once in a blue moon really. Yesterday I didn't cramp so that was good!

I sure am glad too that I was able to get rid of the soreness!  I agree, I sure hope I don't have to go through it like that ever again!

Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 06:07:49 AM »

I get periodic cramps and quirks in my legs, too.  There are some tricks.  If you're on dialysis you can raise your leg until the nurse comes to give you saline.  Or the nurse can press against your feet (raised up in the chair).  Quigong massage works wonders for the circulation.  I went to a double-header at Dodger stadium the other day, and I got cramps because I sat down too long.  I moved around and it was okay.  Sometimes one of my toes curls to the point of pain.  I think walking helps.  I walked all around Disneyland yesterday (wife's birthday), and I didn't cramp all day.  Even though I sat for a couple of hours on Main Street saving a spot for the Soundsational parade.
Arcticat2000

What. Me worry?

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 06:40:51 AM »

I'm not sure if cramping is your issue, but if it is this may help.
Before i went to nocturnal, my legs would cramp terribly at the end of my 4 hour session in the chair. What i did (and i'm not sure all centers will let you do this) was bring my own water bottle from home and when i weigh in i hold onto that water (literally) so as to include it into my starting weight.  Usually a 20 oz. bottle, and i would drink it during my treatment. rarley if ever would i cramp as long as i introduced a small amount of liquid into my body while i was dializing. The cramping in my legs ended when i went nocturnal due the much slower flow rate. I would try the water, if ya can.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 06:43:21 AM by Arcticat2000 » Logged

ESRD diagnosed June 2003
Dialysis begins July 2003
Nocturnal Dialysis since Aug.2005-present
3 nights per week @ 7hrs per session
Heart bypass surgery Nov.2007 w artificial valve
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 11:48:55 AM »

hasn't kit katz said before that  a little tonic water helps...supposedly the quinine in the water helps with cramps....double check that though...

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 08:23:27 AM »

Oh gosh, I can't drink when I'm on D. Drinking during the session makes me have the urge to go to the bathroom more. I get up once to use the washroom station in my private room once. I'd hate to ask them twince to let me up for a pee.             :rofl;

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »