I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 12:32:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Stories of fistula or graft dysfunction
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stories of fistula or graft dysfunction  (Read 2717 times)
Daniel G

« on: March 14, 2012, 11:26:53 AM »

Does anyone have stories about fistula or graft dysfunction they can share?

I work at a small biotechnology startup that is testing an investigational drug (a drug that is not yet approved by the US FDA) that may inhibit the formation of stenosis in fistulas and grafts, thereby reducing the need for interventional procedures such as angioplasty. The drug is undergoing early studies and is still years away from possible FDA approval.

We want to better understand how fistula/graft dysfunction affects patients and their families so we can convey the patient need to our employees, investors and partners. In short, we're looking for the "human" side of this clinical problem. Some of the specific questions we're looking to answer:

* How many interventional procedures (e.g., angioplasty, thrombectomy, revision, replacement) have you undergone for fistula/graft failure, and over what time period?
* How does fistula/graft dysfunction impact dialysis?
* How do you feel when you're told that your fistula/graft is failing and a procedure is required?
* How do interventional procedures impact your life? Is the referral process "easy"? Is the procedure painful?
* How do you cope with fistula/graft dysfunction?
* Is undergoing an intervention to restore fistula/graft patency a burden to you or your family/caregiver? In what ways?
* How big of a problem is fistula/graft dysfunction compared to other aspects of dialysis?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Your feedback will be kept anonymous.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 06:44:14 PM »

Hi,
I have a graft. One thing I'm looking to a fix for is getting rid of scar tissue that has formed into the skin and around the graft, sure surgeons will go in and clean it out if inside the graft, but around the graft they don't consider that feesable because they say either the scarring has gotten so bad it's impossible to clean it out of the skin, and a claim that was also made to me is that the insision that they make to clean up the scarring well that will grow new scar tissue so they don't see a purpose in doing it. There's got to be a drug out there that can possibly help loosing some of this up, like for example the middle of my graft is complete scar tissue, and this makes for painful canulation to unless you know the graft very well no canulation at all to no dialysis for that day. Techs will only try a certain number of times before giving up rather the patient wants to give up or not.
* How many interventional procedures (e.g., angioplasty, thrombectomy, revision, replacement) have you undergone for fistula/graft failure, and over what time period? I have one graft replacement 2 years ago and have had to get an angio plasty on this current one about every 6 months, I've had it clot about 3 times on me in the past 2 years that I've had it.
* How does fistula/graft dysfunction impact dialysis? It could lead to no dialysis at all making the patient wait longer for treatment.
* How do you feel when you're told that your fistula/graft is failing and a procedure is required? Some times it frustrates me but handle it pretty well.
* How do interventional procedures impact your life? Is the referral process "easy"? Is the procedure painful? It puts you down for one day. As far as pain goes it depends on the surgeon/radiologist, rather they give you enough local/enough relaxation, I've found some use only local while others will use a minor sedative such as versaid along with local. I find that if both is used I can handle the procedure much better. I however hate the rotorootering for some reason that machine makes me sick, however a thrombectomy I do fine with.
* How do you cope with fistula/graft dysfunction? Pretty well but it is frustrating.
* Is undergoing an intervention to restore fistula/graft patency a burden to you or your family/caregiver? In what ways? It makes me miss work but that's about it.
* How big of a problem is fistula/graft dysfunction compared to other aspects of dialysis? To me, minor.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
Daniel G

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 05:57:22 AM »

Thanks for the reply. Very interesting information about scarring. Do you know what causes the scarring? The cannulations? The graft surgery (placement)?
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 07:30:16 AM »

* How many interventional procedures (e.g., angioplasty, thrombectomy, revision, replacement) have you undergone for fistula/graft failure, and over what time period?
I have had one angiogram soon after starting to use fistula.  I think that stenosis formed early on after fistula formation.

May prevent dialysis and require need for new fistula.

* How do you feel when you're told that your fistula/graft is failing and a procedure is required?
Anxious and afraid that fistula may fail, necessitating need to make new fistula elsewhere.  Since it took a lot to get a working fistula in the first place, there is the fear that they may run out of access locations.

* How do interventional procedures impact your life? Is the referral process "easy"? Is the procedure painful?
It is yet another day spent on medical issues, but the procedure wasn't painful as I had conscious sedation.

Like everything else.  I deal with it because I have no choice.

* Is undergoing an intervention to restore fistula/graft patency a burden to you or your family/caregiver? In what ways?
My husband has to take time from work to take me to and from the hospital.

* How big of a problem is fistula/graft dysfunction compared to other aspects of dialysis?

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 08:27:22 PM »

yes scarring can be caused by repeated canulations and procedures, techs aren't suppose to stick a graft like I have in the same spot over and over, but most techs don't seem to follow that rule for whatever reason, they just seem to find spots that are good for them, and keep sticking them which in return has caused a lot of my scarring even if a patient like myself has brought this to their concern.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
Gerald Lively

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 11:18:55 PM »

I have had six fistula surgeries, two of them were angioplasties.  Still doesn’t work.  I look like Frankenstein.

What to do about dysfunctional fistulas?  Lay on the floor, on your back then kick and scream while waving your hands and feet around as much as possible.  While that doesn’t help with any fistula problem that I know of, it is good exercise.

Although I don’t have to do dialysis anymore, there remains the question of that fistula; do I want to go through one more surgery or not?  My Neph says I should do it if I ever have a relapse.  I don’t know ‘bout that.   For one thing, he laughs at my jokes; can you trust a man that does that?

Hodgkin's Lymphoma - 1993
Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Prostate Cancer return - 2000
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Hodgkin's Lymphoma return - 2011 - Chemo
Renal Failure - 2011
Renal Function returned after eight months of dialysis - 2012
Hodgkin's Lymphoma returned 2012 - Lifetime Chemo

Human hopes and human creeds
have their roots in human needs.

Eugene Fitch Ware
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 05:05:40 AM »

I thought my fistula was doing fine, but I have learned my flow rate is too slow.  They are gradually weaning me on bigger needles. 
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 05:46:41 PM »

First year of dialysis I had a graft in lower left arm. Clotted nine times.  My arem looks like a railroad ran through it. Replaced with a new graft in upper left arm. Lasted me ten, yes TEN, years! Had little stents put in it once.
Had an infection in the graft.  Surgeon took it all the way out of my arm, Then placed a fistula.  Took tw surgeries to put anew working fistula in over six month time span. I have had one clot with this fistula fixed.  Two years now with it.

Oh yes.  Catheters suck rocks to have to have them in the chest and dialysis is not as good with them.  Plus time off of work for surgeries and stuff.

I feel like crying and have cried. Plus scared about the pain involved.

Hospital stays are never easy. Plus the possibility of infection every time they do a procedure. Kaiser referrals for it come through the ER so it takes time.

LOTS of patience and a morbid sense of humor.  I kept telling my surgeon I was attached the my graft!

Everyone involved.  Worry by care giver- hubby every time I go in.  Time taken from our lives.  More pain for me and recovery time.  Plus time off from work.

It is probably the biggest pain in the ass of all of the dialysis problems I have encountered!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 10:00:06 PM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 08:24:31 PM »

I have a fistula, and it has been... an adventure?
I had originally had one placed in the lower arm, but 2 days later they did the upper arm as the bottom didnt work.
I have had so many proceedures/sugeries on this darn thing ive lost count, last count i recall was about 23. ive only had it since 2007. most of the proceedures happened in 2007/8.
It is big and uuuugly, but it keeps me alive so i have grown rather fond of it.
The other day the tech mentioned that they need to stop sticking me where they do because its grown weak and looks unhealthy. usually when they attempt to stick me elsewhere i am infultrated. thats never any fun.
My fistula has grown into a cork screw or pigtail shape. which makes it kind of hard stick.
there really has to be a better way to do this, i mean, caths arent good due to risk of infection (although makes a very interesting conversational peice! but so does the fistula -- had someone the other day ask me if i had one of those "implants some people are getting as a fashion statement" LOL)
i cant move my arm during the 4 hrs, or i risk infiltration, and needles do tend to hurt. I keep asking the nurses and techs if they could do it magically, they cant... lol

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
Daniel G

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 08:23:33 AM »

Thanks for all of the feedback! Very enlightening.

I'm interested in any additional feedback on the burden of fistula/graft dysfunction and surgeries/angioplasties on patients, families and caregivers.  Specifically, Feel free to share stories about the logistical burdens (traveling and waiting for procedures, missing work, etc.) and the emotional impact.
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 08:39:33 AM »

idk about everyone else, but for me the worst part about having all those surgeries would be not being able to hold my son!

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »