I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 12:23:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Furniture & Bleach
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Furniture & Bleach  (Read 2459 times)
drgirlfriend

« on: March 14, 2012, 08:18:28 AM »

Hey y'all!  :waving; It's been a while since I've had time to get on the boards. I've missed you terribly!

Readers' Digest version of what's been going on: went to TX for boyfriend's job interview in January, he got offered the job February 1, we packed up and drove to Houston end of February (26' UHaul and 2 cars), unloaded into storage spaces, been living in a hotel, the bf started his new job March 1, moving into an apartment this weekend. Needless to say I'm kinda burnt, but excited to be in a new place.

Here's the question du jour: What can I do to a piece of wood furniture to protect it from the nightly bleach-water wipe downs? I had the brilliant idea of getting a changing table for him to put his supplies on and do his dialysate bag inspection on. Problem is most of the changing tables I've seen are wood and won't stand up to the bleach for long. I thought about laminating but that seems like quite a production. I'm fairly handy but don't have a lot of tools or space to work. Maybe varnish? What do you think?

Boyfriend diagnosed with renal failure Feb. 2011. Cause unknown.
PD Catheter "installed" June 30, 2011.
Began CAPD August 11, 2011.
On transplant list 11/23/11.
Started Liberty Cycler 12/1/11.
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 09:08:28 AM »

For all my PD supplies, I went to a food service company and bought a cart on wheels with 3 levels. Works great. Made of plastic so use whatever you want on it.
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 11:43:34 AM »

Another suggestion (though the wood would be SO pretty)...we used a Sterlite 3 drawer unit on wheels to hold all the supplies and the cycler can sit on top easily. 

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
Desert Dancer

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 11:52:38 AM »

I have a wood lap desk I use for cannulation and it's taken a hell of a beating from the bleach. I think at some point I'm going to restore the wood and then attach a thin sheet of plexiglass to it.

Surprisingly enough, my secretary hasn't really shown any effects from the bleach. Maybe because it's more highly varnished?

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
BillSharp

rock 'n roll will never die

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 12:07:39 PM »

No wood finish will stand up to repeated bleach wipes. You need something plastic on top of the table; i.e., plastic laminate like Formica or clear plastic (available at most home stores). Because we needed drawers for the HD multitude of supplies, we bought at Ikea a drawer unit made of some junk wood covered in laminate. The size is approximately 26.5" wide x 19" deep x 26" high and it has 6 shallow drawers. Bleach never affected the surface. I forget what it cost, but it was reasonable.

Started passing stones at age 14 (Cystinuria)
Transplant in 1989 at age 50
Transplant failed in 2009 at age 70
Hemo and transplant list
Cadaver Transplant 7/1/2011 at age 72 (zero mismatch)
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 12:37:57 PM »

Butchers wax applied after cleaning and doing what you need to do. Apply a coat, rub it in and repeat to make sure all groves are covered. Wipe off till it is not sticky anymore.

That's my thought from product used at work.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 12:41:43 PM »

Buy a cheapie roll of plastic bags, use one on the table, and wipe it down instead of the table...

That's what I did with Mum when we were away from home... Even used the bags for the dialysis rubbish...

Darth...

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 01:17:37 PM »

I use the Sterilite drawers to hold my supplies. For my cycler, I have a Rubbermaid folding table that measures about 2x3'. The plastic top takes the bleach wipe down without any problem.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
drgirlfriend

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 03:30:15 PM »

:thx;

Lots of good suggestions! I drove all over town and cruised the internet today looking at possibilities. As far as getting something resembling furniture, seems like we'd have to go with something from IKEA. That acrylic lacquer they use should put up a good fight. Or maybe get something else (chest of drawers, buffet, wire shelving) and have a plastic or glass top cut for it. Well, I took copious notes so let's see what the bf wants to do!

Boyfriend diagnosed with renal failure Feb. 2011. Cause unknown.
PD Catheter "installed" June 30, 2011.
Began CAPD August 11, 2011.
On transplant list 11/23/11.
Started Liberty Cycler 12/1/11.
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 04:50:43 PM »

My clinic sends me sterile disposable lap covers.  They are plastic on exterior and kinda gausy on the other.  There about 24x17inch in size.  Will cover your table pretty well, especially if you use two of them.  We used them when we did PD and still using them on hemo.  Just throw away after use, easy breezy!!!!

lmunchkin

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »