I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 04:31:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Feeling like crap after treatment
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feeling like crap after treatment  (Read 1731 times)
Nirvat

« on: March 09, 2012, 09:19:42 PM »

I'm currently over my base weight of 80kg by between 3kg and 9kg and have started taking off 3ltrs to 3.1ltrs. I am doing Nocturnal Home Hemodialysis. My problem is that the day after dx, I feel completely exhausted and washed out. Although my BP is good (120/80), I feel lightheaded and the slightest effort makes me feel as if I am going to faint.
Can anyone tell me why this might be happening and what I could do to alleviate this? I want to get down to my base weight again but I am being exhausted by this regimen.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 10:34:32 PM »

I've only got my personal experience to offer, but it's a possibility.

I simply could not take off 3 liters at a time.  My body couldn't handle it, even if the center was fine with that amount.  Anything over 2 made me feel horrible that night and the next day.  Unfortunately, the only way to keep my fluid removal under two was, of course, not to add it in the first place.  Since I was losing weight as well, I needed to keep it a lot closer to 1.5.  This made for some long thirsty weekends, let me tell you. 

But, if you are working on a temporary goal, it might be more easily doable.  I'd suggest severely restricting fluid intake for a bit - maybe even every other session.  If you've only put on 1.5, then you can set your goal for 2 or 2.5.  This will help you get down to the weight you need to be at without putting so much stress on you with each run.

One other thought - if you are doing home hemo, can you add in an extra session or two over the course of a week?  You could keep the fluid level down that way and still get back to your base weight without having to push your physical limits so much.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 07:21:49 PM »

I would agree that you are having too much removed at one time.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
cath-hater

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 03:20:34 PM »

I agree with the rest. You are taking out too much water.

Currently on PD using Fresenius.
PD for 9 years.
1 failed transplant in 2010 due to FSGS - donor kidney still inside and still producing urine (weird), but spilling alot of protein.
Off all immunosuppressants.
Currently not active on any list (by choice).
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »