I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 04:15:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  I Gushed Blood Right After Dialysis.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I Gushed Blood Right After Dialysis.  (Read 2901 times)
Cordelia
Elite Member

« on: March 08, 2012, 11:40:32 AM »

Today was the first time I really, REALLY gushed blood after treatment with my fistula.  I didn't panic though, which was good.  There was blood dripping all over the floor, blood all over the pillowcase LOL LOL   

Well, it finally got under control but boy oh boy that was a weird feeling. I had just put my sweater on (thank goodness its black colored)    and felt a warm trickle down my wrist and to my fingers. Felt wet too, I look down and there's blood dripping LOL

Anyways, it got under control.  I had to sit for awhile longer, but eventually it stopped.

If all goes well with my next month's labs they will decrease my time from 3:45 for my sessions to 3.5 hrs, that would make me so happy! I think I could handle havng another 15 mins knocked off my time!!!!!!!!         :bow;          :cheer:

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 11:47:21 AM »

Good on you staying all calm and collected!

Didn't Meinuk coin the term 'a Carrie moment'? You've just survived yours, humor intact. Well done! :beer1;

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 02:29:12 PM »

I like that..... a Carrie moment!  :rofl;

Carl has definitely had those.

Welcome to the club.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 03:24:06 PM »

I think it's important to have a sense of humor about all this stuff.  Otherwise, it can really make you feel like you're goin' crazy       :P      So, why not laugh?                 :rofl;

Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 05:33:58 PM »

lol I've had a couple of "Carrie Moments" over the years - but no pigs were involved and nobody died!!!

It's funny because blood has this habit of taking just a tiny bit of it to seem like a bucketfull AND you don't feel it when you bleed, until as you say the wet drippy feeling, or someone yells at you (as happened with me once or twice). Normally I was really good at clotting within two minutes each and every time, but just once or twice I'd think I'm all good, I'd walk from chair to scale and leave a trail of red... oops!

Hopefully an isolated experience!!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 05:49:55 PM »

I must have had mine yesterday when I forgot to disconnect my  drain line from the saline bag and attach it to the main drain line, and I continued to be oblivious to the fact until I could hear a sudden woosh of fluid.  I look up to find to my horror that the saline bag is huge, filled with yellow fluid and gushing the same fluid absolutely everywhere.  I scream down to my husband while I sit there helplessly watching it go everywhere.  My husband comes up, clamps the leak shut with his hand, but then some escapes, squirts all over me.  He can't do anything, because he's holding the bag shut, and then I suddenly think of the waste bin that my nurse insisted I have near me in case I ever need to puke.  So my pristine puke bin gets Christened in another mannet.  We decided to abandon the treatment because everything was contaminated with drain fluid.  Of course, when .i talk to my nurse, he tells me how I should have switched out the saline bag and saline spike but I think that we did the right thing because there was a very real risk of cross-contamination.  Anyway, the thing that took longest to clean up was not the fluid, but instead the fluid that flicked out of the needles as I was discarding them into the Sharps box.  Usually I am pretty careful at checking, but it was just as all the details about the new iPad were being released and I was sidetracked by listening to that!  I inderstand that new cassettes are being released to overcome this, but obviously mine are the old ones!

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 05:16:39 AM »

lol I've had a couple of "Carrie Moments" over the years - but no pigs were involved and nobody died!!!

It's funny because blood has this habit of taking just a tiny bit of it to seem like a bucketfull AND you don't feel it when you bleed, until as you say the wet drippy feeling, or someone yells at you (as happened with me once or twice). Normally I was really good at clotting within two minutes each and every time, but just once or twice I'd think I'm all good, I'd walk from chair to scale and leave a trail of red... oops!

Hopefully an isolated experience!!

LOL a trail of red!      :rofl;     

Yup, you're right, you think you're good and you walk away and whamo! LOL        :rofl;    That's what happened to me too!       ;D

Amanda, what you experienced must have been quite a scare!        :o

amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 05:27:59 AM »

No, yours was scary, mine was just funny (albeit a little messy).

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 12:10:22 PM »

No, yours was scary, mine was just funny (albeit a little messy).

OMG, I can just imagine it would have been a mess!        :o

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »