I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2024, 07:32:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  The trial of a former DaVita nurse accused of injecting patients with bleach beg
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The trial of a former DaVita nurse accused of injecting patients with bleach beg  (Read 2852 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: March 04, 2012, 02:39:02 PM »

The trial of a former DaVita nurse accused of injecting patients with bleach begins Monday

Mugshot courtesy Angelina Co Jail

LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) – Jury selection is set to begin Monday at 9 am in the capital murder trial of former Lufkin DaVita nurse, Kimberly Clark Saenz, 38, of Pollok.

Twelve jurors and 3 alternates will hear the case.  Saenz is charged with capital murder and 5 counts of aggravated assault.

The charges are related to a 2008 case in which five people died and five were severely injured at the DaVita Lufkin Dialysis Center.  Investigators suspect Saenz injected the patients with bleach while they were receiving their treatments.

The Angelina County's office is pursuing the death penalty for Saenz.

http://www.ktre.com/story/17075485/the-trial-of-a-former-davita-nurse-accused-of-injecting-patients-with-bleach-begins-monday

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 11:41:21 AM »

Hopefully they will inject her with the same thing she injected others which caused their demise!  I remember this and was shocked at the abuse she inflicted on these people!  Such a horror!

If she doesnt recieve the death penalty, I assure you, she will recieve her just reward in the end! I believe strongly, that God will have the final say.

lmunchkin
 :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 12:11:18 PM »

I was just talking about this with the staff at my clinic.  There are so many checks and balances at my clinic, they were surprised this could happen more than once before someone was caught.  This Davita clinic obviously didn't have that in place if she was able to commit this crime over and over again. 

I believe in eye for an eye.  Hook her up to a Dialysis machine and then inject her with bleach so she can fully understand what she put these people through.

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
Hemodoc
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 12:48:33 PM »

This will be a VERY complex case. I would hope everyone keeps an open mind and applies the dictates of our criminal justice system of innocent until proven guilty. The prosecution has an uphill battle ahead of them. There is no test for beach in the human body, only surrogate markers. There is not likely to be a smoking gun in this case. I believe that the jury may have a difficult time comprehending all of the scientific data to be presented. In addition, this particular unit has a very checkered past documented in the public health record. Keep your eyes open and see where the evidence leads. It may not be anywhere as clear as some folks believe without knowing the data.

Peter Laird, MD
www.hemodoc.info
Diagnosed with IgA nephropathy 1998
Incenter Dialysis starting 2-1-2007
Self Care in Center from 4-15-2008 to 6-2-2009
Started  Home Care with NxStage 6-2-2009 (Qb 370, FF 45%, 40L)

All clinical and treatment related issues discussed on this forum are for informational purposes only.  You must always secure your own medical teams approval for all treatment options before applying any discussions on this site to your own circumstances.
Manxcats

Old fashioned dinosaur type, all eyes and arms!!

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 03:27:28 PM »

Over the last few years we have seen quite a few murder cases by nurses in the UK.using OD of insulin. Why - well one of my renal nurses sites a reason as loss of nursing care v money. They do not have the right attitude (check out the minute shift has finished not all but some) and are in the job more for the money than the care of people. We also have a lot of Far East Imports - some are brilliant and others i watch like a hawk= having had pneumonia twice in last 4 weeks (immune system shot! ) i have lot of recent experience .

I don't know the solution. The NHS over here is generally very good, all my medication, wards, surgery etc is paid for. but the black hole keeps eating money and Government say reduce spending and one of the cut backs is cheap 'bank' staff -- no pension and none of the other benefits. OK i can go private with medical insurance, but most of the time when i need a room i am in no shape to arrange it and am looked after well in 4 bed units.

At the end of the day you hope for the best, last time they tried to put a new CAPD pipe in me I had 5 ops in 9 weeks, the last one putting in a fistula if i need it in near future!! sorry rant!!!!!! Found some one on street to do the op. Don't ask why, i am stable at 20% and off dialysis still, even though i felt sorry for 'Roadrunner' - i felt flatter!!

You have to be pragmatic in this world- sh.. happens. And i am humbled by some of the stories i read here.

Mike on the Rock in the Irish Sea.  Have a good one

Life is always better when you have tried it, well most of the time...!  e.& oe.
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 04:29:33 PM »

This will be a VERY complex case. I would hope everyone keeps an open mind and applies the dictates of our criminal justice system of innocent until proven guilty. The prosecution has an uphill battle ahead of them. There is no test for beach in the human body, only surrogate markers. There is not likely to be a smoking gun in this case. I believe that the jury may have a difficult time comprehending all of the scientific data to be presented. In addition, this particular unit has a very checkered past documented in the public health record. Keep your eyes open and see where the evidence leads. It may not be anywhere as clear as some folks believe without knowing the data.

Well Iam not judging here Peter. All Im saying is if she did do this, God will justly deal with her, if a jury of her peirs(?) finds her not quilty.  Nothing is hiden from Him.  If she did this, and is found not quilty, it is yet, another sad case for our judicial system.  Besides, I believe there are priors on this one particular nurse. I may be wrong on that and I understand, that innocent until proven quilty.  If she didnt do it and is found quilty, and she gets death penalty, then like our Lord and Savior, she will unjustly die!  That will be sad and another black eye on our justice system!

All Im saying is Right or Wrong, GOD KNOWS!!

God Bless,
lmunchkin
 :kickstart;

P.S. It just sickens me to think that those people went down like that with out a choice!

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 05:33:26 PM »

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 06:04:44 PM »

The Dialysis Facility Reports weren't available when this story first broke but now they are; check out the 2010 DFR
http://propublica.s3.amazonaws.com/assets/dialysis/facility-reports/TX/2010/TX_452639_2010.pdf

Look at the decrease in deaths from 2006 until 2009.  From 33 to 4

Given the patient census in '09 was 50% of the census in '06 but still, down to four? To me the data suggests that the sort of oversight and control that was put in place after the events of May 2008 had corrected much of what was wrong at the DaVita Lufkin unit. The DFR leads me to believe that the problem at the Lufkin unit in 2006 was not with the nurse (who had not yet been hired) or with demographic/community issues (as DaVita management has suggested), rather the problem was with the operation of the unit.

It looks to me like the nurse is being made a scapegoat in all of this.

EDITED TO ADD: Also look at the percent of deaths due to cardiac issues from 50% down to 0

« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 06:18:32 PM by Bill Peckham » Logged

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »