I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:21:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Policy for visitors
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Policy for visitors  (Read 5954 times)
Dragonfly

« on: February 23, 2012, 10:47:57 AM »

How do I find out about the centers policy for visitors. My center keeps pulling out all kind of new rules and then they don't uphold them. I want to know for sure what they expect from patents visitors.

MOVED: to Dialysis: Centers - RichardMEL, Moderator
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 08:19:20 PM by RichardMEL » Logged

Dragonflies and Butterflies and Dad and Mom

SLE - 11/17/09
Renal Failure - 11/17/09
Raynard's Syndrome - 11/17/09
Pulmonary Hypertension - 03/08
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 11:11:28 AM »

Don't they have a policy in writing? Seems like they would. My center allowed my parents to see where I would be. After that, waiting room only for all visitors.
smokinbeaver

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 10:35:06 AM »

The Hemo Center my husband will be going to said I can't stay with my husband, but I can bring him food and snacks if I want while he is dialysizing. They did show us around when we visited it before my husband has to start. When man in a chair was glaring at me. Does it bother ya'll when people come in to see a place? I guess they try to keep it quiet as possible because a lot of the people were a lot older there then me and my husband (he is 58 and I am 57). I can't see me doing anything other then dropping him off, seeing he gets set up, leaving and coming back. Thank goodness I can text now on my phone so he can keep me informed how he is doing and when to come pick him up. In the beginning we think its best I be there to drive him home untill he can see how he will be. Do most of you drive yourselves to the center and drive home, or do you have a family member or friend do it just in case of low blood pressure and stuff?

Sharon
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 10:52:51 AM »

All policies should be provided in writing.  I know when I started at my center, I was given two documents...one with patients rights and the other with patient responsibilities.  This included policies on visitors, food and beverage, etc.   

As far as the question on driving, I always drove myself to and from treatments.  It helped that I was literally five minutes away from my center by car.  I don't know that I would have necessarily wanted to drive long distances because I was usually pretty washed out after a treatment.
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 10:59:50 AM »

I don't get all these dialysis centers that don't allow visitors! Mine allowed them for the whole treatment, if you wanted. They had to wait in the lounge for set up and disconnect if you have a chest cath, but other then that, visitors were allowed. The only exception would be if your visitors were unruly or disturbing the patients or staff. Dialysis is stressful enough, you should always be able to have a visitor!

Same with food, my center allowed food. Now granted, I haven't been there since November, but I don't think this would have changed. Heck, i remember one of my techs encouraged me to eat, he liked to see that I was healthy enough to be hungry!

KarenInWA

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 01:20:23 PM »

Mine did not allow visitors during hook-up time.  Too distracting.  During the regular session, we often had visitors stop by, even bringing children.  Everyone was pretty respectfully and quiet though.  If your center has had problems, that might be why they had to change the policy.  I'm not sure I'd be thrilled about having a crash or trying to sleep through if the person next to me has half a dozen friends bellowing and joking around.

beaver, I had someone drive me at the beginning.  The first month can be the roughest.  They will still be guessing on his dry weight, and he may crash a lot more.  Once that got better, I started to drive myself.  Once your hubby thinks he can handle it, let him do the driving on the way home a few times, just to make sure.  But most people can and do drive themselves back and forth after the beginning adjustment period.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Hazmat35

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 09:30:06 AM »

Our center allows vistitors that are over 18 years old and they have to wear a WHITE GOWN.  They can come in after being hooked up and have to leave before they are disconnected.  If they are sitting next to another patient, same rules apply, or they just ask them to move for a few minutes.

We don't have that many "visitors" to speak of for patients, the ones that do have visitors are there pretty regularly and know the rules and are pretty good at following them.  We do, however, have a few who won't wear the white gown and put up a fight about it when they are asked to put it on. 

Brother Passed away - 1990 - Liver Disease
Diagnosed w/ Polycystic Kidney Disease - 1998
Mother passed away - Feb. 1999 - PKD
Sister passed away - Feb. 2006 - PKD
AV Fistula / Upper Left Arm - September 2009
Father passed away - September 2009
In-Center Hemo Dialysis - April 2010
Broken Knee Cap - January 2015
Diagnosed w/ A-Fib October 2017
Surgery to repair Hiatal Hernia 2018
Multiple Fistula Grams / Angioplasty's since then!

Hating Dialysis since Day 1 and everyday since then!!!!  :)
M3Riddler

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 01:21:18 PM »

How do I find out about the centers policy for visitors. My center keeps pulling out all kind of new rules and then they don't uphold them. I want to know for sure what they expect from patents visitors.

MOVED: to Dialysis: Centers - RichardMEL, Moderator

Dragonfly,

If its not in writing, its not a policy....its something they are telling you at the time.  Every center has a poster with " Patient rights and responsibilities"  as well as the centers responsibilities   It should be in clear view for everyone to read.  Ask to be located to it and read it.   

If they cannot show you a printed policy, then question it.   You should have the right, especially if the patient requests that they need family support while on dialysis.   Dialysis has become part of their life and it should not mean that their family should be removed from their life during their treatments.  Family is a good coping mechanism that helps you through a rouph situation.  Is the nurse/tech going to sit there with them to help them cope...no.....            When I was in center, I always had someone sitting with me.  At times, certain nurses would have a problem and ask my mom to leave....she simply refused ( unless there was something major going on with another patient).   They can ask you to leave, but if there is no reason, I would simply say no.      If they say its a violation of HIPAA, then they are in violation themselves as an open dialysis center is not quiet nor secure unless everyone had their own personal area that was blocked off.  As you may know, when the docs make their rounds, theere is no one louder and you can hear and for the most part know more personal information about the person next to you than your own family members.

Stick up for your rights!!!!!              The above is my opinion .....

Admin of Dialysis Discussion Uncensored on Facebook