I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 12:22:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  New set of buttonholes with sharps
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New set of buttonholes with sharps  (Read 3241 times)
jelost

« on: February 20, 2012, 04:53:59 AM »

A have an AV buttonhole. One hole is infected. Anyway, I have to start a new hole. I have done this two times both with my HOMEHEMO nurse starting them (for about 8 times) this time I have a new nurse and she wants my boyfriend to start putting the sharp needle in my arm. Now my boyfriend put the needles in but just the blunts the nurse always did the sharps. I do not want him to nor does he. am I over reacting? Is this common?
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 03:32:46 PM »

Why are they making a big deal out of this.  Are you not doing them yourself?  Some say it is better when done by the person being dialysized cause they can "feel" when it is in or not. If BF doesnt want to do it, then do not make him.  To start out buttonholes you would probably do with sharps, then go to blunts.  But Im not the expert on Blunts nor buttonholes.

Hope you get the answers you desire!

God Bless,
lmunchkin
 :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
fearless

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 07:51:07 PM »

I would definitely say if your BF doesn't want to do it, he shouldn't.  I can't speak from experience, but I would think the best thing would be to have you do it yourself.
hope it goes well! :)
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 05:52:40 PM »

Jelost, how is it going now?  I hope I didn't alarm you in anyway, that was not my intent!  I just don't understand how these Highly qualified nurses can't get it right.  I just don't understand why they lay down rules, but never apply them to themselves.

I hope it gets better for you.  And if there is some reason you can't cannulate yourself, then thats ok too, but if BF doesnt want to help with it, then you have to understand his side!

Let us know how it is going, ok?
God Bless,
lmunchkin
 :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
jelost

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 05:10:43 PM »

Maybe I said that wrong. I am not making my boyfriend do anything. (wanted to put boxing yellow guy here but couldn't) We both think that a nurse should start NEW buttonholes instead of us to be safe. Wanted to know if anyone else has started their own new buttonholes.
SteveK87

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 07:42:50 PM »

From what my wife is telling me she went to Davita for 1 month which was 9 treatments.  Her nurse used sharp needles those 9 times in the same spot to create  the proper hole.  After that she began her training at Davita in which she did all the work and set everything up and asked questions as she needed to. She stuck herself with blunt needles when they felt she was ready to do home by herself.
SteveK87

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 07:47:56 PM »

I would definitely say if your BF doesn't want to do it, he shouldn't.  I can't speak from experience, but I would think the best thing would be to have you do it yourself.

That is very true.  As much as I love my wife I dread the day if I ever have to start sticking her.  If I absolutely had to I would but lets hope that never happens.  As others have said too knowing exactly where to stick is important and she knows better than me. If you don't you can end up with a very long painful process before even starting treatment.
jelost

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 11:06:47 AM »

So no one has ever started the sharps themselves! Thanks.
jelost

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 11:13:22 AM »

That is very true.  As much as I love my wife I dread the day if I ever have to start sticking her.  If I absolutely had to I would but lets hope that never happens.  As others have said too knowing exactly where to stick is important and she knows better than me. If you don't you can end up with a very long painful process before even starting treatment.

I agree I would never make anyone do anything they don't want to.
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 11:43:16 AM »

this is kind of a near and dear post to my heart..  As in................. I was thinking that i (im the canulator)should move hubbys buttonholes a bit.  I too wanted to go into center and have someone else do just the first hole ('s) and i wouldd take it from there.  Thats how we started is V when i was to begin sticking him ,as the original one was hard even for experienced techs so they *started* the hole, and i finished making the track by myself.  It's something i too dread and hope i dont have to do soon.  I also asked if i could come in to get started and they laughed it off.  They always say "your the expert" wich i am  :2thumbsup; but im NOT the expert at starting and would like for someone who is, to at least watch..  So, im with ya and wonder how its going...

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
jelost

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 11:41:02 AM »

Well, my nurse just dropped the subject of us starting new buttonholes and sent someone to start them. I don't know if she didn't want to start them or what. She is new to homehemo but was doing in center which is different then homehemo since they do not do buttonholes.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »