I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 02:15:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Yeeeeeeees! My Fistula Can Finally Be Used!!!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Yeeeeeeees! My Fistula Can Finally Be Used!!!!!  (Read 12532 times)
fearless

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2012, 10:59:09 PM »

The whole thing about not pressing too hard is: you're not trying to stop blood from flowing through the vein, you're just applying gentle pressure to keep the needle site from bleeding til a clot can form where the needle was through the skin and vein.  You don't want to push too hard because that can cause damage to the fistula vein.  I didn't realize my surgeon was being so vigilant by telling me this!  i guess i got lucky in that regard, since I didn't do anything to find this guy - he just happens to be a very good doctor.
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2012, 03:08:51 PM »

Thanks so much for the tip, Fearless! I will remember that, thank you so much!!!        :waving;

MM, I'm so glad that your Mom seeked a second opinion.    My surgeon at first was doubtful but he really investigated my arm more carefully and I'm so relieved that he did!  I think he's a brilliant surgeon too!        :thumbup;

I didn't have such a great run today......my arm ended up swelling at the needle sight.....where the arterial was on the bottom, so they took it out and said they'd try again on Tues.  I'm ok with that, they placed ice on it right away which made the swelling go down thankfully. I'm a little bruised tonight though.      ;D

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2012, 03:52:51 PM »

Now you know why they say that the first few months of dialysis are often the hardest.  So many new things going on all at once, and on top of that, there's the natural anxiety not only for you but also for the staff as they get to know you.  I am hoping that with each run, everyone will feel more confident.

I am curious...now that you know your husband has been cleared for donation, a transplant is much more likely in your near future.  Does knowing that make all of this a bit easier to cope with?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2012, 05:55:59 AM »

Now you know why they say that the first few months of dialysis are often the hardest.  So many new things going on all at once, and on top of that, there's the natural anxiety not only for you but also for the staff as they get to know you.  I am hoping that with each run, everyone will feel more confident.

I am curious...now that you know your husband has been cleared for donation, a transplant is much more likely in your near future.  Does knowing that make all of this a bit easier to cope with?

I think it does, MM.  I am really hoping and praying that my time on the machine is starting to wind down.   It gives me hope that I may not have to wait 4-5 years for a transplant, which is what my doctor originally told me with going on the "List"

You're right, its such a huge adjustment the first few months. I kind of feel like I"m starting all over again in a sense of the way even though I'm been 'doing' dialysis heading into my 2nd year now.  Getting used to the needling, getting used to having to sit really, really, REALLY still, is a real challenge. It was a huge adjustment for me when I started, I had never sat for 4 hrs in length before except for on a plane! LOL!

Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
fearless

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2012, 10:00:57 PM »

Cordelia, I know exactly what you're going through (excuse my confidence in saying that, but when you talked about sitting so still for 4 hours - BOING! that's ME! )  I'm so jealous of the people who come in, get stuck, and go to sleep!  My arm is numb by the time I leave from keeping it so still.  I'm always looking at the pressures on the machine too.  Now I'm sweating out the buttonhole formation.  But you seem to be handling things so very well.  Most admirable!  and congrats on the progress with transplant.  TERRIFIC! :)
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2012, 06:25:52 PM »

Cordelia, I know exactly what you're going through (excuse my confidence in saying that, but when you talked about sitting so still for 4 hours - BOING! that's ME! )  I'm so jealous of the people who come in, get stuck, and go to sleep!  My arm is numb by the time I leave from keeping it so still.  I'm always looking at the pressures on the machine too.  Now I'm sweating out the buttonhole formation.  But you seem to be handling things so very well.  Most admirable!  and congrats on the progress with transplant.  TERRIFIC! :)

Hi Fearless!     Oh, the sitting is looooooong with the needle in      :rofl;    It was getting easier with the cath and I was able to sit but now I truly feel like I'm starting aaaaaaall over again LOL

I am finding the last hour tough. I can make it the three hours no problem and the last one I suffer and I get so restless I want to get out of that godforsaken vinyl chair      :rofl;

There's enough on TV to keep my interest mentally but physically I'm finding it beyond hard. I hope in time that I will get used to it like I did with the cath. Not being able to move that needled arm too is a bugger.  *sigh

I hear ya, I get jealous of the ones who can come in and fall asleep in minutes too, that is NOT me. I have even when sick have never ever been able to sleep in those chairs, ever!

And oh boy today I forgot my snack that I bring from home so that just made my morning drag even worse this morning!     :rofl;   Thank goodness the unit supplies saltless soda crackers!      :P

The needling went okay today too, did not go so well on Saturday so I didn't have a full run on Saturday with the one needle but today it worked good ......I'm just a little bruised and sore from Saturday's run.   

Thanks so much for your encouraging words, it means a lot to me!     :bandance;   Thanks a bunch for your compliments!      :cuddle;

Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2012, 05:09:16 AM »

Well, I'm graduating to the next level---two needles---tomorrow!        :yahoo;       :bandance;      :clap;

Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2012, 07:39:08 AM »

If your fistula has trouble, they may take a "fistulagram" or XRAY of your arm to find the best alternative vein.  That's what happened to me.  With me they decided to stick with the original vein, as a network of smaller veins formed to take up the slack. 
Oh, don't make my mistake.  It causes you to bleed.  When you hold your band-aide and gauze after the session, don't turn your head to talk to the technician cleaning your machine.  Blood spurts out on your arm, your clothes, and your chair.  And it creates extra work for the staff.  They hate that.  I've done the same thing, twice, in a month.  I'm an idiot sometimes.   :shy;
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2012, 08:50:50 AM »

I'm keeping my fingers......and toes crossed LOL       :bow;      :rofl;   

The nurse I had yesterday said I have a pretty good working fistula     :bow;     

I'm a little nervous........I've never, ever had 2 needles in my arm at one time. I'm not sure what to make of that. We'll see how it goes tomorrow        ;D

Restorer

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2012, 07:52:12 PM »

I get to start using my fistula next week, starting Tuesday. Everyone says it looks great, but to me the usable area looks a little short. I guess we'll see.

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

3/2007Kidney failure diagnosed5/2010In-center hemodialysis
8/2008Peritoneal catheter placed1/2012Upper arm fistula created
9/2008Peritoneal catheter replaced3/2012Started using fistula
9/2008Began CAPD4/2012Buttonholes created
3/2009Switched to CCPD w/ Newton IQ cycler            4/2012HD catheter removed
7/2009Switched to Liberty cycler            4/2018Transplanted at UCLA!
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2012, 11:37:37 AM »

I get to start using my fistula next week, starting Tuesday. Everyone says it looks great, but to me the usable area looks a little short. I guess we'll see.

Good luck, Restorer!     :yahoo;     Hope it goes well! Well, they used two needles on me today and it went quite well until the end, about 15 mins left, my bp dropped quite a bit, but I suffered no ill effects from it, I never really do.  My arm is sore this afternoon. I'm just taking it easy.      :)

lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2012, 09:35:41 AM »

Excuse the interuption Cordelia, but I need to ask Restorer a question, cause I just now read his profile!  "Blame it on my Blondness" LOL.

Restorer, I noticed you did PD on the Newton IQ, but switched to Liberty.  May I ask why?  People have been having probs with Liberty Cycle, but we never had big issues with the N. IQ.  Just curious!

Cord & Restorer, your fistulas will thicken over time!  You will get there eventually!  Just make sure that you feel the "Frill" on both venous & arterial.  If you don't, something is amist.  I know you both will be excited once used without problems.  You can shower & swim your hearts content!!!!!

God Bless,
lmunchkin
 :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2012, 01:51:11 PM »

Excuse the interuption Cordelia, but I need to ask Restorer a question, cause I just now read his profile!  "Blame it on my Blondness" LOL.

Restorer, I noticed you did PD on the Newton IQ, but switched to Liberty.  May I ask why?  People have been having probs with Liberty Cycle, but we never had big issues with the N. IQ.  Just curious!

Cord & Restorer, your fistulas will thicken over time!  You will get there eventually!  Just make sure that you feel the "Frill" on both venous & arterial.  If you don't, something is amist.  I know you both will be excited once used without problems.  You can shower & swim your hearts content!!!!!

God Bless,
lmunchkin

Hi lmunckin!     :waving;     No problem!  I'm hoping my arm will toughen up over time too!  Yup, I check daily, usually about 3 times per day checking.....and it purs! LOL!     :rofl;

I can hardly wait to swim, I'm getting so excited, I've really, really missed going into a pool! I can't wait!        :bandance;    The showering doesn't bother me so bad because I've been showering doing the shower method technique, and I've had  luck with it, no infection ever,  but boy oh boy I sure am antzy to get in a pool!       ;D       ;D

lmunchkin
Elite Member

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2012, 04:37:09 PM »

I know you are, Cord, and now you wont have to do any of the showering technique either!  You will be able to shower without worry of infections.  It will all be natural, nothing artificial in there to have to worry about.  It will be GREAT! Just take care of yourself and enjoy!

lmunchkin

Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2012, 09:23:12 AM »

I know you are, Cord, and now you wont have to do any of the showering technique either!  You will be able to shower without worry of infections.  It will all be natural, nothing artificial in there to have to worry about.  It will be GREAT! Just take care of yourself and enjoy!

lmunchkin

Thanks, lmunchkin!       :waving;

First thing first I'll be having a nice, LONG hot shower!       :rofl;       Then the swimming will likely be second!   I want to get a membership at a nearby Holiday Inn Hotel not far from my home, bout a 2 min drive        ;D   I heard from a friend it's like $30 a month for the use of the public pool plus you get the use of their gym too       :bandance;     It sounded like a pretty good deal to me        :cheer:

Today went well again......I'm so itchy to get the central line out.  I just have to be patient, it will come, I know        :beer1;
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 09:24:15 AM by Cordelia » Logged

lmunchkin
Elite Member

« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2012, 03:00:26 PM »

Really?  I didnt know they had a public pool.  That would be so cool.  I wonder if the ones in this area (Nashville) do that.  Is it inside or outside? 
I believe I will check that out. I know that the YWCA has a pool, but it is inside only!  If I swim, it is going to be IN THE SUN!!!!

lmunchkin

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2012, 03:36:43 PM »

Cordelia, I can certainly understand your eagerness to get back to the pool!  That's the whole reason I decided on hemo vs PD; I figured I'd already had to give up so much due to CKD, and I was NOT going to give up swimming, which I love.  Dipping into cool water on a hot day at our park's pool is the most efficient stress-reliever for me, and I will NOT sacrifice that to dialysis.

I'm sure that you will be ready for the pool by the time summer rolls around.  You've still got plenty of time to get that new fistula toughened up.  Returning to swimming will be the perfect reward for perservering! :cuddle;

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2012, 05:00:45 PM »

Fistulas are the way to go for vascular access.  I love being able to take showers.   :yahoo; :2thumbsup; :clap; :bandance; :waving;
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2012, 05:01:34 AM »

lmunchkin, I'm in Canada......could be different up here, I don't know. Anyways, I'm just going by what my friend told me. I think there's a pool inside and outside, I think from what she told me. I'm gonna have to check it out      ;D

MM, I hear you.....I didn't want to give up my love for swimming either!            :2thumbsup;   

Whamo,   it sure will be nice to do that......and be worry free of the risk of infection for the central line!    ;D

mcclane

« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2012, 07:38:53 PM »

congrats cordelia !!  :yahoo; :yahoo;

Will they be using a sharp for your dialysis or are there plans on creating a buttonhole ?

I know the feeling of having to sit still for the duration of the dialysis treatment, especially with a sharp.  I had only one buttonhole (I lost the other one), so when I went to seattle and doing one last dialysis before my transplant surgery, they had to use a sharp, and it is tough sitting there not having to move your arm for hours.  I guess I got spoiled with blunts.

I found overtime, as your fistula matures and your veins toughen up, the amount of time you have to hold a sharp poke lessens.  I remember the 2nd time I got poked with a sharp, I made it to the elevators and noticed a nice trail of blood dripping from my left arm and onto the floor.  :rofl;

Because of that, when we went to seattle I hold the sharp hole for over 15 min (paranoid I guess).

I'll tell ya, when I got good at using blunts, I never looked back at the central line.  Being able to shower was a huge bonus  :clap;

Congrats again, and I hope it all goes smooth. :2thumbsup;
Restorer

« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2012, 02:49:08 AM »

Several reasons. I was originally going to be started on the Liberty, but for some reason that was never explained to me, my first clinic started me on the Newton instead, with vague plans to switch me to the Liberty later.

After I switched clinics, they wanted to switch me to the Liberty because it was what they knew. They didn't know anything about the Newton. I had to fill in my PD nurse on its specs. I was happy to switch because the Newton:

1. was a pain in the ass to travel with because of all the parts, and it was very heavy.
2. had a simpler, low-power heater, which meant if I didn't get my bags hoisted up onto it at least an hour before treatment, my first fill was cold.
3. only had room on the heater for 2 5-liter bags. If I needed more than 10 liters, I had to pile a bag on top of the two on the heater.
4. required the integrated stand because of the hanging drain bag. I couldn't put it on a nightstand, so it took up more room.

The Liberty was less error-prone to set up than the Newton. Lots of things to connect and hang and hook in with the Newton, as opposed to a cassette, the bags, the drain, and the patient line for the Liberty.

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2012, 05:14:32 AM »

congrats cordelia !!  :yahoo; :yahoo;

Will they be using a sharp for your dialysis or are there plans on creating a buttonhole ?

I know the feeling of having to sit still for the duration of the dialysis treatment, especially with a sharp.  I had only one buttonhole (I lost the other one), so when I went to seattle and doing one last dialysis before my transplant surgery, they had to use a sharp, and it is tough sitting there not having to move your arm for hours.  I guess I got spoiled with blunts.

I found overtime, as your fistula matures and your veins toughen up, the amount of time you have to hold a sharp poke lessens.  I remember the 2nd time I got poked with a sharp, I made it to the elevators and noticed a nice trail of blood dripping from my left arm and onto the floor.  :rofl;

Because of that, when we went to seattle I hold the sharp hole for over 15 min (paranoid I guess).

I'll tell ya, when I got good at using blunts, I never looked back at the central line.  Being able to shower was a huge bonus  :clap;

Congrats again, and I hope it all goes smooth. :2thumbsup;

Thanks, Mcclane!       :)      No plans for a buttonhole since I am not planning to do home dialysis. If I was planning to do home D, then they would start creating buttonholes for me. 

Ooooooh yes, its rather tough sitting there for hours not moving the arm. Maybe next month they will decrease my time down another 15 mins and that would be just great! I'm hoping so, fingers and toes crossed! So far my clearances have just been great and that's why they are considering dropping my time.        :beer1;

I'm really looking forward to getting my central line out too. I'm just nervous at the procedure but........looking beyond that, I'm anxious/excited to get it out!         :cheer:

lmunchkin
Elite Member

« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2012, 03:58:19 PM »

Thanks Restorer.  I never knew why they switched, but definately see the advantages to the newer machine.  I remember all to well those you listed, and yes, it was a hassel!

How have you been, since going to hemo?  Do you miss doing PD, Restorer?

lmunchkin

Restorer

« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2012, 09:50:56 AM »

How have you been, since going to hemo?  Do you miss doing PD, Restorer?
Don't remind me. If it were at all possible, I'd go back on PD. I'd take the hassle of dealing with the supplies and the waste and the pain of peritonitis to get off in-center hemo and ease up on diet and travel restrictions, no question.

Hemo is a pain in the ass. It drains me enough that I just consider my dialysis days lost. I can't commit to doing anything 3 days a week because I usually feel too bad to socialize normally or get any chores or errands done.

I doubt home hemo is an option, mostly because I don't have room for the setup in a clean room.

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2012, 03:05:05 PM »

Did you ever have the peritonitis, Restorer? I have heard it is very, very painful.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »