I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 02:18:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Yeeeeeeees! My Fistula Can Finally Be Used!!!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Yeeeeeeees! My Fistula Can Finally Be Used!!!!!  (Read 12534 times)
Cordelia
Elite Member

« on: February 17, 2012, 10:39:20 AM »

I just got back from my vascular surgeon and he said my fistula can finally start to be used, one needle!      :bandance;     This coming Tuesday!      :thumbup;     I'm so nervous and excited at the same time!   :)

I had my surgery Nov. 28 and I had it checked a month ago and it wasn't quite ready yet, but its ready now!     :bandance;

My goal is to be able to swim this summer!!!!        :bow;        :bandance;      :yahoo;        :2thumbsup;
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 10:41:26 AM by Cordelia » Logged

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 10:42:41 AM »

That's really terrific news!  I hope everything goes well on Tuesday...I expect a full report!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Riverwhispering

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 11:32:40 AM »

what do you mean by "one needle"?

It's only one step from the Jungle to the Zoo
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 11:49:23 AM »

Super!  :2thumbsup;

One needle will be used and the other line will go in the catheter, River.

Cordelia, make sure they are super careful so they don't infiltrate you.  :cuddle;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 06:01:08 PM »

Great news.  I finally got my fistula working this week, with two needles.  I was on one needle for almost a month.  That's the good news.  The bad news is that I'm hard to hit.  My treatment didn't start until 1/2 hour into my four hour slot, and they cut my time short.  I also learned my complex cyst was in my kidney, but benign, and not a problem. 
Traveller1947

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 04:59:45 AM »

Congratulations, Cordelia!  Try to be patient if they have to stay with one needle for awhile.  It all works out eventually.

Great news, Whamo!  I know you were worrying about that complex cyst.

All the best to both of you...
SteveK87

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 08:26:23 AM »

Great to hear!
big777bill

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 11:31:24 AM »

Wishing you the best! :bandance; :) You should be much better off with the fistula online.

liver transplant 3/22/2005
CKD 2008

fistula 11/17/2011
 catheter 2/07/2012
 started  hemo-dialysis in center 2/07/2012
 fistula transposition 3/08/2012
 NxStage at home  3/29/2012
 Using fistula at home 6/25/2012
 Using new NxStage S High-Flow cycler 3/04/2014
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 11:02:25 AM »

Thanks so much everyone for your congrats!     :clap;    Congrats to you too, Whamo! Hope your treatments go well with your fistula!        :bandance;

I'm a bit nervous, looking forward to it too, as I'm starting to get a little antzy to get this central line out. It's been in me for 1.5 years. I would very much like to swim this coming summer!      :flower;

My one nurse told me that sometimes the first week can go really well and week 2 doesn't. Or, vice versa. She told me she'd rather needle someone the first week than the second because by week 2 the arm is traumaticized and it's not as easy to needle week 2.

I'm a little worried about post bleeding. I guess I'll just wait and see how this works.

I'll report back Tuesday!      :)

Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 08:00:43 AM »

Cordelia,  Yes, your nurse is correct.  The veins have to adjust to the increased stress, and it takes awhile.  In any event I hope you're good to go by this summer.  I'm looking forward to spending some time in the pool this summer if not the ocean.  My nephro doctor said to stay away from polluted beaches.  Unfortunately Southern California beaches are all polluted these days.
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 03:27:12 PM »

Congrats Cordelia and it will come to pass, you will see!  So glad for your news,  Whamo!!!! You two have been through alot lately.  Things seem to be looking up for you both, and Iam so glad!

lmunchkin

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 12:49:47 PM »

Thanks so much for your congrats too, lmunchkin.       :thumbup;

Here's my blow by blow of my first experience       :)

Well, I survived the morning!!!!      :bandance;          :yahoo;     It was actualy much easier than I thought it would be. My nurse explained everything so thoroughly, she was just fantastic!

I didn't get hooked up til a bit later which delayed me leaving my normal time, but what are you gonna do?

One thing I was a little browned off about though was that the nurses wanted me to not go to the bathroom during dialysis. I have been very fortunate to have the luxury of being in the private/isolation room that has a toilet. And, I use it every time I'm there, about roughly half way through my treatment. I just can't hold it in for 3.75 hrs. (that's how long my treatment per session is)    Anyways, they wanted me to try and 'hold' it and I couldn't.....I KNEW I'd pee my pants if I tried to hold out for that long, I just can't do it.

Anyways, I had to really push but they ended up allowing me to go halfway through afterall, I was so relieved, pun intended.     ;D   Anyways, I managed, I just held my arm, really, really carefully and I did my thing. But, it's so much less nerve-wracking with the cath, I must admit, when you get up to go pee      ;D

The needle actually didn't hurt that bad. The access site was a bit sore upon her putting the needle in. Quite frankly, she jabbed me pretty quick so doing it fast, helped ease the anticipation of it all for me as I was pretty nervous up until she put the needle in. I somehow managed to relax.      I found relaxing, really helped.

Oh, my bp never dropped that bad. My pump speed was much less with only one small needle .....it never got up past 225. My usual pump speed for my access central line was 400. My nurse told me my clearance might not be as good as I usually clear roughly 2 kilograms. Somehow, though, I managed to do the same amount of clearance.         :thumbup;

All in all, it was a good experience and my nurses said I did great!     :clap;

One other thing I found difficult was sitting very, very still and not being able to really move my arm. Once I went to move it and I was like ooops, I can't do that.       ;D    It is so much easier with the central line since you don't have to be as careful.

Once the needle was out, she had me apply pressure for about 5 mins after. (I'm so used to just getting up and leaving so sitting a bit longer wll take some geting used to)  I didn't bleed much ....so she put a gauze pad on my arm where the needle was and used the tape over my arm. (So far the tape isn't bothering me)

One of my dialysis buddies told me to be careful opening up doors with that hand, doing that caused her to bleed. Once this afternoon I accidently went to pick my purse up in my access arm, and I was like oh, DUH! I'm not supposed to do that.

My nurse told me to keep the gauze on until supper time (I'm on the morning shift) then I can take the gauze off. Do not leave the gauze on until the next treatment, it can come off in a few hours.......

My nurse also told me NOT to panic if I notice any post-treatment bleeding. Just put pressure on it for a few mins and it should stop.

All in all it was a pretty good experience!         :thumbup;
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 12:53:14 PM by Cordelia » Logged

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 12:55:27 PM »

Oh, you must be SO relieved!  I can see why having to go from a catheter to your fistula would take a lot of getting used to; a lot of little things are different, like being able to go and pee halfway through treatment! 

Thanks for posting about your experience, and I hope you will keep posting once you start using two needles.  Are you going to try to learn to self-cannulate?  I'm sorry...I've probably already asked you that.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 04:28:53 AM »

Oh, you must be SO relieved!  I can see why having to go from a catheter to your fistula would take a lot of getting used to; a lot of little things are different, like being able to go and pee halfway through treatment! 

Thanks for posting about your experience, and I hope you will keep posting once you start using two needles.  Are you going to try to learn to self-cannulate?  I'm sorry...I've probably already asked you that.

You're welcome, MM!       :)

Yup, the little stuff I took so much for granted before is now a challenge!       :rofl;

One thing my nurse advised too is to carry gauze around in your purse wherever you go in case it starts to bleed.  I really, really hope that I don't have bleeding in between treatments!   So far, so good!

Sure, I don't mind posting about when I have the two needles      :)

Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 08:23:25 AM »

I'm glad everything went well.  It is hard, especially the first time, to avoid moving your arm, and keeping it still for 4 hours is a bit long.  I find my lower arm goes numb sometimes.  My catheter came off in about 15 minutes.  That little girl doctor was a pulling and a tugging for a long time to get it loose.   She shot me up with locals three times.  It's still sore, the day after, but I don't care.  It feels so good to get it off my chest.   :bandance; :bandance; :bandance; :bandance; :pics; :clap; :2thumbsup; :yahoo; :yahoo;
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 03:33:32 PM »

I'm glad everything went well.  It is hard, especially the first time, to avoid moving your arm, and keeping it still for 4 hours is a bit long.  I find my lower arm goes numb sometimes.  My catheter came off in about 15 minutes.  That little girl doctor was a pulling and a tugging for a long time to get it loose.   She shot me up with locals three times.  It's still sore, the day after, but I don't care.  It feels so good to get it off my chest.   :bandance; :bandance; :bandance; :bandance; :pics; :clap; :2thumbsup; :yahoo; :yahoo;

Thanks so much, Whamo!    I hear you, its a real challenge to keep that arm still when you've been free to move the arms for 1.5 years in the chair!! LOL!    :rofl;     I have never had two needles in one arm ever in my life so I'm a little nervous about when they go to put TWO needles in. LOL!       :rofl;

Luckily, my arm didn't go numb nor tingle. My nurse told me to let her know if my arm tingles especially.  I take it that means they've hit a nerve then, if that tingling or numbness happens, right?

You must feel so much better having your central line out! That's great to hear!  Oh btw, I wanna be 'knocked out' for when that happens when they take my central line out but I know they won't do that! LOL!     :rofl;
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 04:05:45 PM by Cordelia » Logged

willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 03:48:16 PM »

I had forgotten how Carl would bleed after treatments when he first started. I remember one evening we were eating dinner and he noticed that where his arm was resting on the table there was blood running across it and onto the floor!  :rofl;

You are going to do great.  :2thumbsup;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 02:54:08 PM »

I had forgotten how Carl would bleed after treatments when he first started. I remember one evening we were eating dinner and he noticed that where his arm was resting on the table there was blood running across it and onto the floor!  :rofl;

You are going to do great.  :2thumbsup;

Aleta

Well, I spoke too soon LOL       :rofl;     I bled after the treatment this morning.  Figures, I was in a hurry to get to my transplant hospital and it happened before I even left my dialysis unit!       :rofl;

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 03:24:23 PM »

Was the bleeding really bad?  Did it stop before too long?

Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 05:23:27 PM »

Was the bleeding really bad?  Did it stop before too long?

No, it wasn't too bad I would say. I didn't panic, which my nurse said I reacted very well. Most important, don't panic......

I would say the blood just blotched my small puffy square gauze pad. It bled for maybe 3 mins, she had me sit back down on a chair and within that short time frame, it stopped.

My clearances are quite good for my fluid removal-just a little over 2 kgs today!       :)

fearless

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2012, 09:54:53 PM »

Cordelia, That is SO AWESOME!  It seems really quick after your fistula surgery - you must have good veins.

One thing I remember the vascular surgeon telling me  was - when you have to apply pressure, just be sure not to over do it.  You want enough to help stop the bleeding, but not actually "close" the vein (push the top of the vein down against the bottom of the vein) that is bad for the fistula.  You don't actually need a lot of pressure to stop the bleeding - it's more about how long you hold it (your clotting time)

I'm so happy for you.  I had some troubles getting started, and it took me many more months than you to get to the point you're at now.  CONGRATS! 
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2012, 08:27:02 AM »

Fearless, Thanks for the tip on how to handle the bleeding.  I hate that chore, holding the bleeding, because if you do it too hard you hurt your vein, and if it's too weak, you bleed.  Most of all I hate the waiting because I'm anxious to get out of the freaking chair.  I'm glad your fistula seems to be working so well. 
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2012, 02:48:35 PM »

Thank you so much Fearless, for your congrats too!   :yahoo;

Thanks also for the tip on the bleeding, also! It's helpful to know that, I had no idea.   So is it best to hold a gauze over the site just gently as opposed to firmily?

It's so strange, I was so doubtful this whole fistula thing could even work because I had been told by many people that I have small veins. I was very leery to even think about doing the surgery for a fistula. I thought it couldn't be done but my surgeon said he could and I'm pleased so far how it's working.  I am thinking it will likely be a couple weeks yet before they up to the two needles I'm guessing, although I'm not really sure. I'm gonna ask at my unit tomorrow and see what they say. They told me I have to have consecutive runs for a few weeks before taking the central line out.

Oh, I'm still hoping and praying that I can swim this summer!       :rofl;

lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2012, 04:05:29 PM »

Showering was a BIG issue for hubby. He was so glad to get the cath out.  First thing he did was spend alot of time in shower. He loves it.  He can't swim in pool cause of his amputation, but Im thinking about pushing him to go sometime. He loved to swim, but surprisingly, he never mentions it!

lmunchkin
 :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2012, 10:36:25 PM »

Cordelia, my mother had teeny tiny veins because she was a teeny tiny lady, and her first vascular surgeon really screwed up and never was able to create a working fistula.  She had a cath for 18 months.  Her VS was affiliated with her Davita clinic, and he was crap.  One of the dialysis nurses secretly told her that he was crap and told her to find someone else.  She ended up going to a top notch surgeon, and out of that teeny tiny vein, he was able to create a truly magnificent fistula that served her well for five years.  So, often it is down to the brilliance of the surgeon.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »