I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 06:42:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Causes for Itching...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Causes for Itching...  (Read 4010 times)
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« on: February 03, 2007, 09:56:26 PM »

Now that my phosphorus is too low, I know thats not the cause, unless low phos causes itching, which I doubt. Im very itchy all the time.... what could it be from???

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 11:15:11 PM »

Now that my phosphorus is too low, I know thats not the cause, unless low phos causes itching, which I doubt. Im very itchy all the time.... what could it be from???

Pain Medicine??

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 11:19:30 PM »

Fleas?? :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

I knw, you try to get some serious help and someone always has to be funny!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 11:25:07 PM »

I didn't know pain medicine could cause itching... I am taking Vicodin... hmm... intersting.

Kitkatz...  :P

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 11:36:48 PM »

I know I know!

Chocolate causes me to itch on my legs.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 01:07:51 AM »

My Phosphate is perfect and yet lately I am itchy. I have come to the conclusion that it is too much fluid as it sits in your tissues and stretches your skin out and dries your skin tremendously. Let me ask you this: Have you noticed if your skin tends to be on the dry side lately and it never used to be like that?

What are your fluid gains like?

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 05:49:37 AM »

Yup i have noticed how dry my skin has become, just thought it was due to us being in bad health in general, and not fluid overload. I just tend to use plenty of moisture cream!  :thumbup;

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 08:32:42 AM »

I have no basis for this but maybe its your body reacting to having all the toxins being removed from it since your transplant.?
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 09:30:52 AM »

My Phosphate is perfect and yet lately I am itchy. I have come to the conclusion that it is too much fluid as it sits in your tissues and stretches your skin out and dries your skin tremendously. Let me ask you this: Have you noticed if your skin tends to be on the dry side lately and it never used to be like that?

Well I do notice dry skin, but I have had that, I guess I should use lotion more. No fluid gain, im actally losing weight since transplant.

Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 09:41:56 AM »

Normally I would say try to get some sun or use a UV lamp, because it has worked for a number of dialysis patients.

But now that you're on anti-rejection medication, that's not a good idea.  Speak to your transplant team about adding Omega-3 supplements to your regimen.  I know ... one more pill!!!   :-\

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 12:24:30 PM »

Well I do notice dry skin, but I have had that, I guess I should use lotion more. No fluid gain, im actally losing weight since transplant.
Oh yes I was thinking dialysis! I was so tired when I posted! So it wouldn't be fluid gain for you. Hmm... itchiness after transplant .... well, hopefully you aren't allergic to anything you are currently taking.

Normally I would say try to get some sun or use a UV lamp, because it has worked for a number of dialysis patients.

But now that you're on anti-rejection medication, that's not a good idea. Speak to your transplant team about adding Omega-3 supplements to your regimen. I know ... one more pill!!! :-\
Ya exactly! They say when you have a transplant to always put on sunblock 30 when outside because with some of the medication they put you on you have an easier chance getting cancer.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 12:26:21 PM by angieskidney » Logged

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »