I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 03:47:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Allergy to Ephinephrine
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Allergy to Ephinephrine  (Read 1950 times)
Cordelia
Elite Member

« on: February 16, 2012, 04:26:19 PM »

I had some dental freezing recently and had a very annoying, nasty allergic reaction to the lidocaine the dentist injects into your mouth. Within an hour of the freezing coming out I was sneezing up a storm, congested like I had a major attack of hayfever, or suddenly got a terrible head cold. Anyone experience this?

Because of the reaction, my dentist instead gave me regular freezing instead of lidocaine and I had no problems. Thank God!!!

Would the above  reaction be considered serious what I had? I had no breathing problems other than a major stuffed up and runny nose at the same time, and the horrible constant sneezing but no chest problems.  My dentist told me I had a reaction to the ephineprhine found in the lidocaine they use to freeze. It contricts blood vessels.

I"m just wondering.......Should I be putting this drug down in my medication records as a "SEVERE ALLERGY" to or JUST a "SENSITIVITY"???

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 04:36:26 PM »

I am assuming that you are asking because you are anticipating this question from your tx people?

I would say exactly what your dentist said, that you have a history of being reactive to epinephrine, resulting in nasal congestion and sneezing.  Whenever I have listed meds to which I am allergic, they ask me what happens when I take them, and I tell them "hives", and that qualifies as a true allergy.  If I take levaquin, by day 4, I'm feeling pretty sick, but that's not an allergy; still, I let them know.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 04:46:21 PM »

Yes, MM, I was wondering if ephineprhine would ever be used in the event of being hospitalized for my transplant, I wondered about letting them know. What about my medic alert I wonder?

I've never heard of levaquin.........

Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 05:02:36 PM »

I developed an allergy to Bactrim...massive, awesome hives..., so I was treated for a UTI with levaquin.  It is apparently used in the treatment of anthrax (!), and I believe it because it made me feel quite vomitous. :puke;

I really don't know if this is information that needs to be put on a medic alert.  I wear a bracelet that just says I have a fistula so please don't touch my left arm, but perhaps I should put something on there about allergies.  I don't know if hives is as desperate a situation as having your throat swollen shut...THAT's a lot serious than hives.  Hm...

I myself have played it safe in alerting my tx center of every single substance that I've ever had any kind of reaction to. 

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 05:50:14 PM »

Yes, the fistula I defintely need to get that put on my medic alert, for sure!

Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 05:03:35 AM »

I guess I'm just allergic to the dentist!       :rofl;

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »