I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 04:19:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Anxiety/panic attacks
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anxiety/panic attacks  (Read 2397 times)
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« on: February 03, 2007, 11:21:36 AM »

This usually happens to hubby this time if the year(winter).  I think he has SAD.  You know the syndrome where you need light.  He has anxiety and panic attacks.  He will break into a sweat over anything,  Sometimes he does not even know why.  He was doing really well with nocturnal.  Now he gets anxious about his blood pressure dropping and other things that could happen.  This causes his blood pressure to go up even if he is dehydrated.  He has tried over the last few weeks doing a few 3-4 hour treatments to try to give himself a break.  He gets stomach sick,absolutely no patience, sweats, sweaty hands, shaking, not wanting to do anything. He is a person who keeps busy and tries to fight this off but he has difficulty It seems like this happens every winter. I jokingly told our dialysis nurse that I was going to buy him a light and sit him under it.  She sort of said that it would not be a bad idea.  He has been doing a little better the past few days.  He just did 2 ,7 hour treatments.  When spring breaks and it is light longer in the evening he feels better.  He really feels bad for feeling this way-feels he has no control over it.  I try to be patient and supportive but sometimes it is hard.  I have had a few :wine; and  :beer1; to calm my nerves.

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
anja

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 11:47:56 AM »

Hi, Del, sorry that you both have to go through this.  I believe your idea of the light is a good one.  My boss has noticed that she suffers from symptoms in the winter so bought one of those lights over the internet.  She placed it adjacent to our desks and has noticed many positive differences.  I have only had anxiety attacks a few times when dropping off to sleep, and they are no picnic, so I can relate!  The feelings of helplessness and lack of control over those thoughts can cause some really wierd reactions.  You are a dear for your patience and wanting to help.  Following through on your instincts may make a big difference in hubby's life ( and yours)  Best of luck.  Anja   :cuddle;
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 12:18:39 PM »

This usually happens to hubby this time if the year(winter).  I think he has SAD.  You know the syndrome where you need light.  He has anxiety and panic attacks.  He will break into a sweat over anything,  Sometimes he does not even know why.  He was doing really well with nocturnal.  Now he gets anxious about his blood pressure dropping and other things that could happen.  This causes his blood pressure to go up even if he is dehydrated.  He has tried over the last few weeks doing a few 3-4 hour treatments to try to give himself a break.  He gets stomach sick,absolutely no patience, sweats, sweaty hands, shaking, not wanting to do anything. He is a person who keeps busy and tries to fight this off but he has difficulty It seems like this happens every winter. I jokingly told our dialysis nurse that I was going to buy him a light and sit him under it.  She sort of said that it would not be a bad idea.  He has been doing a little better the past few days.  He just did 2 ,7 hour treatments.  When spring breaks and it is light longer in the evening he feels better.  He really feels bad for feeling this way-feels he has no control over it.  I try to be patient and supportive but sometimes it is hard.  I have had a few :wine; and  :beer1; to calm my nerves.

For those who do not know what "SAD" is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_affective_disorder

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 12:38:30 PM »

Some of us got here by "calming our nerves". So long as its not a habit, go for it!

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »