I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 12:19:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Spouses and Caregivers
| | |-+  Relationship to care recipient?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Relationship to care recipient?  (Read 2830 times)
MrsFishy

« on: January 22, 2012, 10:44:23 PM »

Seems like many people here are a care giver for a spouse.  I take care of my mother-in-law (and am happy to be able to do so!  :) ).  How about you?
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 01:43:39 AM »

Just to clarify, I am caregiver for my daughter, who is the kidney patient, but also take care of my husband who is disabled after 3 failed back surgeries.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 07:52:03 AM »

Currently I am care partner to my hubby who has been on D since 2007.  Previously I have been caregiver to my mother, a child, a couple of close friends, SIL.

Off topic for this thread but I wonder if Shorty's memory loss could be caused by a sudden traumatic change (D) and not wanting to accept it or maybe some depression and wanting someone else to handle everything for her.   A lot of D patients report some loss of mental function and I can tell you that my spouse suffers from this also.  There are days he is sharp as ever but more often he seems to be in a fog. 

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 11:10:18 AM »

I am the care giver for my husband who has been on dialysis for nearly three years.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 01:17:30 PM »

I was the caregiver for my mom as often as possible while she was on dialysis, which wasn't easy seeing as my own kidney function was crap.  Unfortunately, she lived on the other side of the country from me, so I'd have her come to visit me for as long as she could before her clinic would give away her chair (max. one month).  Or, I'd go down there as often as I could and get her to and from D.

I am not anticipating needing or wanting a caregiver myself once I start dialysis.  I am hoping to do everything myself.  For seven years, I've taken care of all of my own needs...the never ending pills, doctors' appointments, etc.  My husband makes a great chauffer, though, so I'm grateful for that, but it would never occur to me to have him sort out my meds or train to cannulate me or something.  God Forbid!  I don't know how I'm going to continue taking care of HIM once I start!  I'm still going to have to do the cooking and the shopping and the cleaning; I need a WIFE! :clap;

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 04:41:37 PM »

Caregiver to husband.  Mother in law and then my father.  My father passed away 7/2004 of cancer, then 11/2004 hubby diagnosed with Kidney failure.
I don't regret any of it either.  There are times I do wonder why, but no regrets!

Thank God Iam able to do for them! Very thankful to have them in my life!
lmunchkin
 :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »