I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 08:20:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  declaring transplant at job interview
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: declaring transplant at job interview  (Read 7251 times)
lou

« on: January 22, 2012, 07:05:52 AM »

Just a quick question, would love any feedback.....

I have a job interview next week for a teaching position. I am quite excited about it as it is in a school for the visual impaired and i think it would be such an interesting and rewarding job. My worry is whether I should mention that I have had a kidney transplant during my interview.

I had my transplant nearly two years ago and (fingers crossed) have so far had no problems. I go for a blood test every two months and so would need time off for these appointments. I have been in my current job for 3 years and they all knew me before and during dialysis and so are lovely about it all.

I guess as this is the first interview I will of had since all the kidney stuff i guess i dont know what to say. Have asked a few friends who have mixed views! I suppose I will have to fill out a health questionnaire during the day. I am being interviewed by a panel of 3 and am bit scared about mentioning it to them in case they think i will be a nightmare! I know they are not allowed to discriminate but surely this would affect their view of me?

Can i ask what anyone else has done in this situation? To say or not to say!!!!!!

Thanks guys, you are fab! :)  x x x
edersham

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 09:05:37 AM »

Lou,

This is a tough one but one thing to consider is if they think you are not telling them something, that could worK against you. For me, I would go ahead and talk about it as a positive attribute for this particular job. You obviously know what it is like to live a challenging life. You have to decide what is best for you though.

Good luck,
Ed
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 09:35:07 AM by edersham » Logged
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 11:36:05 AM »

I'm going to side with Ed on this one.

Even if you run the risk of their discriminating (illegal, but nearly unavoidable), honesty plays out better with employers.

You could certainly encourage them to contact your current employer to review your quality of work. Plus stress that with your "healthy" transplant, you have no health restrictions that would impact your ability to teach.

Also, I think that speaking about your challenges with dialysis you understand having to over come a major difficulty in life, making you a good candidate for working with people who are visually impaired. Turn your background with kidney failure and transplant into an asset!

:2thumbsup;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
lou

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 12:34:22 PM »

Thanks Ed and Aleta, really appreciate your honesty. My boyfriend thinks I would be silly to mention it and so does one of my friends which has just got me thinking about it. I tend to think you are both right and I could try to turn it into a positive too (overcoming difficulties in life and positive attitude?) but I guess I'll wait and see how scary the interview panel is first!

Thanks again for your thoughts - i'll let you know how it goes!
x x x
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 01:29:45 PM »

I don't see any harm in mentioning it IF the need/occasion arises.  It's not something you can just throw in when they ask you something like, 'It's 2pm on Friday afternoon, you're teaching IT to the naughtiest class in school and Little Jessie is tossing her toys out of the pram; what do you do?' ...

However, it could slot very nicely into an answer about Equality and Diversity ;D

I would imagine that this is a medical disclosure which can remain confidential (disclose it to HR or whomever via the medical questionaire, but the interview panel won't be allowed to know unless you bring it up).  It shouldn't affect your work, you'll only occasionally need a late start/early finish, you'll have brilliant references and you'll have wowed them with a very impressive interview.  If you are offered the job it will be dependent on the 'medical' anyway and they'd be hard pushed to then change their minds without a very good argument, especially as you'd disclosed it on the medical form.

With all that in mind I would say do what you feel is right on the day.  I'm not much good at this advice lark, eh?!

But GOOD LUCK!!! If you get there, love the feel of the place, love the staff, get a good vibe, etc. then I really hope you get the position!

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 02:03:07 PM »

Don't forget that most people think a transplant is a cure.  Don't educate them on the truth until after you get hired! 

I did an interview recently for an internship.  I put my moderating on IHD on my resume, as part of my volunteer activities, with an explanation that it was a support group for kidney patients, so they certainly could have asked me about it if they were interested.  I have no intention of hiding my transplant from anyone, but I didn't bring it up at my interview either.  I was prepared to, though, if they had asked me about my personal history.  It just wasn't that kind of interview.

I'd suggest coming up with a quick overview of your ESRD experience.  Be able to sum it up in three sentences and have it ready if you need it.  Mine was something like -
"I began to have kidney problems in 97 because of complications from juvenile diabetes.  By 2006, I started dialysis.  In 2009, I received a kidney and pancreas transplant.  I knew I would need to further my education to reenter the job market in this economy, so I started school in 2010 to get a post-bach certificate in paralegal studies."

It's the truth, but only the bare bones.  Really, no one wants to know that I spent most of the years from 2000 to 2006 barely able to get out of bed in the morning and that I spent so much time throwing up that I had a favorite bucket to puke in.  (Hey, shape and height is important for comfort when you spend that much time hunched over it.) 

I wouldn't be comfortable hiding my ESRD.  But I don't have to focus on it during an interview.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

ToddB0130

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 02:17:38 PM »

I wouldn't make a big production out of it and go out of my way to discuss it.  Be honest and answer the questions as asked and if requested to present examples of how you've overcome adversity , etc (based on the  students you're interviewing to teach,  I expect you'll be asked).  You might even be asked something about how you would inspire and help a sight impaired student.   There may be many opportunities to refer to your own history during the interview,  but I think you're very smart to first gauge your 'audience'.  GOOD LUCK WITH THE INTERVIEW

No day but today
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 07:11:17 PM »

My answer is 'no'.   If you are specifically asked on a medical questionaire,then you must be honest, but you should notbeasked at an interview.  I don't believe that it is legal to do so as it introduces discrimination.  An interview is an opportunity to present the best of yourself, just as a good resume is.  No other candidate would be volunteering 'negative' information, so why should you?

This is how I dealt with a kob interview that I went to.  Once I was offered the job, then it came up in the medical questionnaire.  I answered this truthfully and got the job.  I also had career breaks from when I lived overseas because of my husband's job, and I just presented them in a very positive way, eg broadening my experience of other cultures etc.  if you are asked, then I would think about how you can describe it in away that presents the positive asoects of your situation.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
wj13us

Paul's ride 2011

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 06:15:23 AM »

I have 30+ professional years of employment with a transplant.  Have had a number of positions with different companies and within a company.  And I've never disclosed my transplant to the company or even co-workers.  Well 3 for personal reasons but asked them not to tell.  I do that for 1) fear of discrimination.  And yes I've been a manager and have been in meetings where people's health have come into question when they were taking too many days off and 2) I don't want to be treated any different.

Basically its none of there business just like I don't want to know the personal medical issues of my co-workers unless they are willing to tell.  And medical information must be kept confidential by the company.  Any breach of that confidentiality is forbidden by law.

PS I work in the pharmaceutical business...go figure.  If you can't beat them join them.

Bill
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 09:09:37 AM »

I agree with Bill and your boyfriend. Do not disclose it because schools are government funded and sometimes the school insurance rates are based on the pool of recipients level of health. It is not just discrimination from bosses to worry about but also your coworkers too! I have heard a few times other people say things like, "They are always sick" and "They are causing our rates to go up."

I have always been a believer that if people know the disease before they know you as a person, it colors their judgment about you. Show them what a kick ass teacher you are and disclose to people you really trust only. Teaching jobs are so hard to come by now, don't give them a reason to not seriously consider you....

Just my 2 cents!

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
lou

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 10:35:35 AM »

Thanks for all your advice and good luck, I really appreciate it  :)

Really confused about what to do still as i can see from both sides how it could be a positive or very negative thing. I like the idea of having a pre prepared answer ready in my head of how i can quickly sum it up and turn it into a positive thing. But i do also worry it may go again me as people rarely understand kidney disease do they? (you only have to read the ignorant things people have said thread! :urcrazy;)

Well I think I will have to just wait and see what the panel is like and I won't shoehorn it in but if there is an opportunity to use it as an example of over coming adversity or something like that maybe I will say it?

Interview is a week tomorrow so i'll let you know how it goes.....fingers crossed!!! :)

x x x
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 10:55:09 AM »

I think with Bill at least, the question is one of relevance. He was 13 so no, they wouldn't want to know your medical history. I never disclosed my first transplant to anyone in a work setting until it started to impact my schedule. For you, if you had a job gap that requires an explanation (as in, they ask) then I see nothing wrong with being honest. Especially with visually impaired kids, I would talk about how the experience has taught you valuable coping skills, a respect for people with medical challenges (you won't condescend or pity them, won't assume they cannot do something that kids with perfect sight can) and a fearlessness in the face of negative emotions (which will come up with all kids at one time or other, and kids' problems are often anything but childlike). Since you are in Britain, insurance is not a worry unless something drastic has happened....  :)

I would be ready with a quick mention of it, but only if they ask. You also do not have to get into specifics. And just to put this in perspective, if my father were interviewing you (very successful business owner for 30+ years in a highly competitive field) and you told him you had overcome kidney failure, you'd be in. He has a long, baffling history of hiring people with complex medical issues, but kidney failure would be his ultimate catch. I would not be surprised at a breathless 3AM phone call were he to ever find someone in kidney failure that he wanted to hire. You just never know to whom you are speaking or where their loyalties lie. Anyone who keeps their fascinating medical history to themselves with my dad may miss out on a dream job, and he may be odd, but surely he is not the only person who admires those who survive these issues. That being said, if it doesn't feel right, keep your mouth shut.

Best of luck!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 11:59:05 PM »

I recently was interviewed for a job and brought up my kidney transplant as a factor of why I was an ideal and empathetic candadate for the position working as a paralegal advocate for senior citizens. I never heard from them again. When I told my nephrologist of this he says he always advises his patients not to reveal medical information to prospective employers because in his experience, we will be discriminated against. It is against the law in the U.S. to ask about medical issues and I would advise against volunteering the information.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
carol1987

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 07:42:33 AM »

Thanks for asking this question....   I was laid off after my transplant and am looking for a job and was wondering if i should mention my esrd and transplant..

Diagnosed with  PKD July 2002 (no family history)
Fistula placed April 2009
Placed on Transplant list April 2009
Started HD 10/6/10
Transplanted 1/6/11 (Chain Transplant My altruistic donor was  "Becky from Chicago" , and DH Mike donated on my behalf and the chain continued...)
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 08:10:13 AM »

I recently was interviewed for a job and brought up my kidney transplant as a factor of why I was an ideal and empathetic candadate for the position working as a paralegal advocate for senior citizens. I never heard from them again. When I told my nephrologist of this he says he always advises his patients not to reveal medical information to prospective employers because in his experience, we will be discriminated against. It is against the law in the U.S. to ask about medical issues and I would advise against volunteering the information.
Oh, I'm sorry Sunny. That's always disappointing.

I think it's tough to ever know for sure why a person does not receive a particular job offer. It could be the medical information you disclosed, or it might have been something entirely different. Unfortunately, in this economy it still seems to be very much a buyer's market. My other option for explaining an employment gap is my children. That is another can of worms, though, because most employers seem to want young people with no other commitments, which is not terribly realistic. So, I may have to miss work for illness, but that could happen with absolutely anyone. It is far more likely that I will miss work because of my children, so I don't know that there is a right choice between the two. The last interview I had I did disclose the transplant - I thought it was relevant. I suspect I was not offered the job for other reasons, but if it was the transplant, well, it probably would not have been a good fit, anyway. It was a position working on clinical trials - hello, I learnt just as much by being a participant in a trial as I did from being an investigator, and it was two entirely different sets of information. I think I did not do well on the interview because I was so out of practice, but the next one will be better, and the next better still.

(I also hope they will find honesty refreshing. My husband has a remarkably large number of stories about the people he has been hired to replace. More than once he was passed over after an initial interview only to be contacted a few months later when the company discovered that their first choice was a huge mistake.)

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 05:35:57 PM »

Here's my two cents on this.

In short I would not mention it up front - why? A transplant gives you a chance at a (mostly) normal life. Thus, having it shouldn't impact on your ability to do your job. I understand if you're working in a school or whatever a chance to pick up bugs etc is higher, but it's the same for everyone. I mean if you feel the need to say "Well I have a transplant" what that tells them is that YOU are concerned about it and automatically puts up a flag.

Instead, I would mention it in a positive way if you like, or in context. For example - If they say "Tell us about a recent stressful situation in your life and how you handled it" you could potentially mention the tx and how well you're doing, or perhaps if they say "You didn't work from X till Y. Why was that?" "Oh I had a kidney transplant but I'm all good now" - don't make it to be a barrier to employment but emphasie a positive.

When I was facing D I had a similar dilema when going for jobs - since I knew that WOULD impact my work - either just taking time to do the D or side effects, like being tired etc. The way I handled that was to talk about my "lifestyle" - for example I went for my current job, which was a 50% part time position then and they asked me why I wanted a part time job like that and I just explained it suited my lifestyle - which at the time was 100% true. Once I was hired I did go to my manager and explain what I was facing - I felt that was the right thing to do and they have been 1000% supportive since then. However tx is different because it's not like you're knowing you're going to have any kind of impact from it that could affect your ability to work. I mean I see it as that anyone could go into an interview and say "Well I *could* break my leg or get hit by a car" - it's not likely to happen, but could.

I'm not advocating lying or not disclosing, just that it's not a negative and if you bring it up in anything but a positive way that gives the interviewers, in my opinion, the idea that YOU think it could impact on your ability to do the job, or that it concerns you.

IMHO

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
lou

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2012, 09:46:07 AM »

Thanks again for all the replies, its been really interesting to hear all your opinions.

Richard I think your right - a transplant does give us a chance at a (mostly) normal life so maybe I wont mention it. They could think if im bringing it up it must be a big deal and may effect me at work (obviously it is a big for us but i dont want them to know that!)

If it does come up i will just try and mention it in a mega positive way.

Thanks again, ill let you know how it goes!

x x x

ps - cariad - i wish your father was interviewing me!  ;D
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 03:18:00 AM »

Did you get the job?!  Did you mention the kidney transplant?!  Hmmm?

... Come back and tell us! 

:waving;

lou

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 03:34:16 AM »

I got the job!!!!!  :bandance; :bandance; :bandance;

Had interview on Tuesday and was told they were interviewing wed as well. I still hadn't heard anything by yesterday lunchtime so I rang the school and they said they were just about to post me a letter offering me the full time position!  :yahoo; :yahoo; Am sat waiting for the postman now so I can find out all the details! Also its snowing here this morning so I'm feeling like a kid on Christmas morning!

Didn't mention transplant during interview. I decided to only mention it if the opportunity came up and there didn't really seem an appropriate time.

Mentioned it to the deputy head at my school yesterday that I'm worried about doing the health questionnaire check for this job and she was so sweet saying she would happily write to the new school saying it does not affect my job at all other than going for a blood test every couple of months.

Am totally terrified about this job to be honest. It will be teaching a class of 4 students, all blind, one doesn't speak and all have other complex needs...... ahhhhhh! But also really excited as think it will be such a challenge.

Come on postie......... Hoping the letter will give me more details......

Soooo excited!  :2thumbsup;

Thanks again for all your help.....love you all!

x x x x 
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2012, 06:25:21 AM »

Congratulaions, that is greatnews.   :yahoo; :2thumbsup; :clap; :yahoo; :2thumbsup; :clap;

Wait until you have the letter in your hand before submitting the health questionaire, but make sure when you fill it in that you are honest, because if you aren't, that would be good grounds for dismisal if / when they did find out.  !

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2012, 08:02:12 AM »

Congratulations!  It will be challenging but you'll love it!  I'm so excited for you!

The medical questionnaire isn't something to worry about; just be honest.  At worst Occupational Health (are you still going to be working for the same local authority; you'll already be in their system I expect!?) will give you a courtesy phone call to check a couple of things out and then you'll get the thumbs up. 

Do you start after Easter? 

:cheer:

willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2012, 11:14:27 AM »

:2thumbsup;

Super news, Lou!  :clap; :clap; :clap;

Of course the job will be challenging. There is no teaching job that isn't!  :cuddle;

But you will be wonderful.

Congratulations!  :wine;

I'm drinking to your success!  :yahoo;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2012, 11:38:04 AM »

Such great news that you got the job Lou!  Well done and congratulations.  Keep us posted about how it goes.  :clap;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
lou

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2012, 11:04:12 AM »

Thanks everyone!  :yahoo;

Sorry took a while to reply - been a crazy week...... only got the job offer letter today and in the meantime i also went for another teaching job, which i also got! Couldn't believe it and been debating all last couple of days what to do. In the end I called the school for the visually impaired today and accepted their job offer. Only just getting excited now! Will start after Easter poppy!

In the letter offering me the job it says i need to go for a medical examination at a doctors near the school before starting as well as doing CRB (police check) and references. I was bit freaked out when i saw this (as still not mentioned transplant at all) but everyone at work toady told me this is totally normal now when getting a job? Never heard of this personally but hopefully will be ok. I hardly ever have days off sick so transplant doesn't really effect my work.

Anyway so glad i now have proper offer through as am exhausted worrying about it all (had clinic on monday and my creat was higher than its been for long time so am going back for another blood next tues to check) No job is worth creat probs is it! So i am going to drink loads of water over next week and fingers crossed it will go down a bit. Nurse also hit a nerve so i passed out during blood and had to spend afternoon on ward - day before interview.....its been a long wk, roll on half term!!!!!!

ok am rambling now, love to you all x x x x  :grouphug;
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2012, 01:05:38 PM »

Enjoy your half-term, Lou!  Sounds like you deserve a relaxing week of doing as little as possible.  Just make sure you've given in your resignation letter! 

;D

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »