I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:01:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
| | |-+  Moving abroad?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Moving abroad?  (Read 7347 times)
Teepo18

O_O

« on: January 14, 2012, 10:47:36 AM »

Hi everyone,

Ive always wanted to move abroad but since getting ill ive always thought it wouldnt be possible but ive researched and it looks like i could as long as it was in the EU BUT i dont wanna move in the EU lol. I want to get out. Id rather move to somewhere in America but the health system over there is different to ours. We get everything for free here. So i was wondering if anyone has ever moved after a transplant or when on dialysis and if it is possible from someone to move from England to the USA as long as everything went well applying for a visa.

Thanks!
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 11:32:32 AM »

You are going to have to prove that you have enough assets, or that someone who is willing to sponsor you, has enough assets to cover your medical expenses.  (The amount you had to have was $250,000 about 10 years ago, but that might have changed by now.)  Here's the thing...if you have not been working in the US and have not, therefore, paid into the system, you will not be able to rely on any federal monies (social security, medicare, any other benefits subsidized by the federal government) to help you pay your medical expenses.  You essentially have to prove that you will not be a financial liability to the American taxpayer.

If you are a dependent of an American citizen, that's a different story.

If you have a job lined up here already and would have access to your employer's group medical insurance, that's a different story, too, but unfortunately, ESRD is covered by private insurance for only 30 months.  You'd have to look into how their policy responds to post-tx meds.

I think you will have to be extremely careful with this.  We don't like paying for medical care for our own citizens, much less that for "foreigners". ::)  If this is something you really want to do, I'd get some expert advice.   

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Teepo18

O_O

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 03:09:00 PM »

Thanks for the great info! Really helped. Yeah i can understand the whole tax payer issue. If i couldnt find a way then maybe i could just do the odd 1 year work visa and just bring my meds from here. I stock pile them like no tomorrow hahaha. I can always just go on very long holidays there as much as i can too. Thanks again though :)
Desert Dancer

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 07:38:07 PM »

Thanks for the great info! Really helped. Yeah i can understand the whole tax payer issue. If i couldnt find a way then maybe i could just do the odd 1 year work visa and just bring my meds from here. I stock pile them like no tomorrow hahaha. I can always just go on very long holidays there as much as i can too. Thanks again though :)

Seriously, if you come over here you're looking at putting yourself into vast amounts of medical debt.  We're looking to get OUT of this country for that reason. I think you'd have to be insane to move TO the States as a dialysis or transplant patient.

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 10:41:41 PM »

Teepo, if you are really serious about travelling over here even just for a visit, you should wait until you and your medical team were more confident in the viability of your transplant.  I'd wait until you were at least a year post transplant.

I lived in the UK for 20 years, and I never travelled to the US without a travel insurance policy.  I'd buy an annual policy that would cover me wherever I travelled, but I made sure that the medical expenses section had a minimum limit of STG1,000,000.  These annual policies would reimburse you for medical expenses incurred during a maximum 90 period, ie, you essentially couldn't be away for more than 3 months, and if you were, your claim might not be paid.

Notice I said "reimbursed".  If you were visiting and landed in hospital, you'd probably have your medical expenses up front, keep the receipts and then submit them to your insurer.  It is a big pain in the butt!

To be honest, though, you may well be uninsurable.  My ex-husband is an insurance broker (I was, too, when I lived in London...that's how I know this crap), so I can ask him if it's possible for you to buy a policy.  He may not know as he is a marine insurance broker, but the company he works for finds all kinds of insurance for all kinds of people, so I can inquire on your behalf if you'd like.

I hate to see you unable to at least visit the US just because you've had a kidney transplant.  You should be able to explore the world, not avoid it because of insurance matters.  So much for the "American Way". :(

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 11:24:40 PM »

Interesting topic. I have a couple of comments/questions.

The most ofbious question to me is why do you want to MOVE away from the UK (OK apart from the weather, and David Cameron and the rest)? Is there a specific reason you want the US (eg a relationship or specific job opportunity?).

I personally would NOT recommend bringing a HEAP of tx meds into another country. Indeed the UK also would probably take issue with you exporting NHS subsidised/provided drugs - even if they are for your own use, I can definitely see why they would throw up their arms. I know Australia would do the same unless there was some really good documented reasons for it. The US also may ask questions.

My first trip, for just over a week, to the US last year my bag was held by the TSA and missed my connecting flight (and we did not get it till the next day) because (I suspect anyway) I had my backup supply of meds in there. Now all boxes were labelled etc, but I think the bags were searched because of that (I only EVER take my most needed stuff with me in my carry-on - the TC suggested I have a backup incase that bag is stolen/lost).

Another issue I can think of is that say you want to move to another country such as the US, but I suspect would also apply to many places - with the potential exception of Canada, Australia or other members of the commonwealth that have agreements with the UK, that getting care/support for you will be difficult AND pricey. Let's say you want to do a "series of long holidays" - how would that even work? If you intend to work to earn $$ then you would be breaching a tourist visa, and the country you enter would wonder why you kept coming and going in that respect. If you came in on a work visa or other such thing that's fine, but an employer would have to support that, and specially in the US that could be harder than you think unless you're in some kind of job where they can't get local expertise to help. How will your post-tx needs be supported? You need to be monitored, med levels changed, labs done etc.. it's not "set and forget" at all. That, in turn, would bring up issues about exchanging medical reords and history from the UK to wherever you go....

I also agree with MM that insurance is definitely an issue, and even if youi go on an extended holiday travel insurance would be more expensive(but not impossible- I have looked into this for my own travels but so far have not taken any up due to the smaller nature of my trips). Again, if you want to do an "extended holiday" you won't be able to work (legally) and how would you support your needs medically on top of living? eg: meds, labs etc?

I think anyone contemplating a move like this has many things to consider, discuss and plan before attempting it. I am not saying it is impossible, or not something you should look at, just that it's not as easy as getting on a plane with 2 bags of meds for 6 months or a year and thinking it's going to work out fine....

my 2 cents anyway.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 10:32:59 AM »

Maybe you'll have to get searching for a very rich American lady with a spankingly good (and secure) job? 

;D

Sorry, not particularly helpful, but it seems from what everybody has said that it may be your only option.  Or, you'll have to win the National - or even better, the Euro - Lottery so that you can prove you have the ability to take care of yourself for ever. 

Richard is right - you really need to think about this.  Write down everything you can think of, all the little things which are going to get in the way of this dream being fulfilled and all the things which aren't.  Then thoroughly research everything on your list. 

Just out of interest, why do you want to move away from England?  And why not consider somewhere else within the EU?  I know the standard of living can be much better in some EU countries than it is here, in England.  You could even learn a new language!  Why does the US (in particular) appeal?  (I'm genuinely interested simply because, although I'd love to visit lots of countries or even live in them for a few months, I've never wanted to actually move somewhere else with the intention of staying there permanently - I think I'd miss my England too much.)

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
ToddB0130

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 01:05:02 PM »

Find a way to come over for a long visit if you can.  It may satiate your interest in the US.  What everyone else has stated is true.  Our country is probably a much nicer place to visit than live for a 'foreigner' (heck,  even for many residents !!)  Funny how that works .... I think living in England would be nice.  I had a blast when I visited a number of years ago.

No day but today
Teepo18

O_O

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 05:15:40 AM »

Thankls everyone for your comments they really do help but dont worry im doing as much research into this as possible. I think England is just not for me, medically speaking its the right place but i dont wanna be that type of person, i wanna take risks and if they dont work out, i can say i tried. I have friends in America and they say i can stay with them saving me money too which is nice :) but yeah tablets would be on me at all times if it was a short 2 week vacation. Also pack spares. Ive checked with my docs and they say im extremely stable in my blood results even when ive been ill from colds and what not. So they are happy but still i gotta wait about 6 months before i travel anyway.

So yeah still researching things like getting meds shipped over from england if i do stay for a few months. Im sure thats fine but ill check. If it doesnt ill just do it anyway lol. Sick of not being able to do normal stuff so the government can kiss my ass!  :sir ken;
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 05:01:55 PM »

I would be VERY surprised if the NHS would allow shipping of meds they provide at reduced cost outside of the country and/or EU.

Have you considered Canada? It's close enough to the us, but as a Commonwealth country I am fairly certain you will a) find long term visiting easier, and b) health care/meds etc provided under recipricol arrangements with the UK.

I'm confused - if you're so stable why can't you travel for another 6+ months?

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »