I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:50:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Dad is new to in-clinic HD - freaky moment
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dad is new to in-clinic HD - freaky moment  (Read 4005 times)
austinsoul2011

« on: January 06, 2012, 10:12:45 PM »

Hi all,

My dad's into his third week of HD at the local Fresenius clinic and the staff couldn't be a finer collection of professionals.  Kind, concerned and very friendly.  They've watched over him carefully in these first few weeks, and have been extremely cautious in checking him over before letting him leave after treatment.  The home dialysis wing has been equally attentive and accomodating, and have answered all his questions (and mine) -- of which there we many and varied.  Very impressed with the other patients, too; it seems as if they've all adopted my father as a family member, so it's very touching to see how concerned they are about his experiences.  It drives home that we -- and I do mean ALL of us -- are in this together, and the incredible advice and comfort we receive from them and the wonderful people here help my family and I cope with this huge lifestyle change tremendously.

However, we did run into a rather alarming incident this morning -- one in which I was grateful that an RN and PA was right there when it happened.  My father had just finished his HD session, and he was feeling great.  My mother and I met with him to discuss some things with the staff.  He didn't eat or drink anything but insisted he felt very healthy.  The three of us stood around and chatted with the home PD nurse for a few minutes, throughout which my dad insisted on standing (though I kept asking him to sit).  In mid-conversation, my dad just FROZE. 

He just stood there, not moving, not swaying, slumped or anything, with his mouth seemingly caught midway in a yawn.  He wasn't responding to any questions, his eyes were glazed over and appeared to be staring out into nothingness.   I couldn't believe what I was seeing!  Thank God the nurse caught the problem immediately, and she told me to help her lie my dad down on the floor gently before he fell over, paying special attention to protect his head.

After he lay down, he started to come to, but he was initially slurring his words and was a bit confused.  The RN, a tech and the PA put him in a wheelchair, took his blood pressure (it was very low) and brought him back to the HD section to give him some fluids (via IV, I think).   My mom and I didn't want to get in the way, so we stepped out and waited for my dad in the outside waiting room.   We were really freaked out!  How on earth did my dad suddenly pass out like that without warning?  I thought there were supposed to be warning signs, like yawns or some signs of exhaustion.  Can blood pressure drop all of a sudden like that, after dialysis is completed and bp appears to be normal? 

Thanks in advance for any comments,
Steve
HILINE

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 06:01:01 AM »

I have passed out a few times due to low BP, I can tell when it's coming, I tell my tech and she/he will take corrective action
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 07:43:20 PM »

Yes, Steve, sadly, this does happen with In-Center Dialysis alot!  They are probably still trying to adjust his Dry Weight and pulled to much off!  It is a fine line.  But eventually, I pray, they will get it right.

In my case, J tells me when he gets a little dizzy or cramping (which very seldom happens) and I will put his UF to 0.  That way it is not pulling any more fluid, but is getting the toxins.  Not bragging, but since doing NxStage at home, we have not had those problems.  I monitor his BP every half hour, so to prevent a hugh drop.

Keep us posted on how he is doing!  You love him and that is Evident!
lmunchkin
 :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 08:37:36 PM »

It just happens, I am always told when I stand if I feel bad or start to sit back down.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 04:29:25 AM »

Maybe "now", when you ask him to sit down he will.  Maybe a little stuborn.... wanting to be "fine" when he is not.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »