I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 03:19:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Gerald Slept Here!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gerald Slept Here!  (Read 102853 times)
ToddB0130

« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2012, 06:13:06 PM »

Gerald ..... HA !   That's "buff" Einstein ........... I *do* think you're very smart ......... Einstein ??  Mmmmmmmmmmmm  .........

No day but today
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2012, 06:51:44 PM »

ummm, im liking what im reading, learning  :)

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
Traveller1947

« Reply #102 on: January 20, 2012, 05:19:19 AM »

All the best to you on your journey, Gerald.  Good luck at your new center!
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #103 on: January 20, 2012, 07:08:04 AM »

Hope all goes well at your new center today.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
Gerald Lively

« Reply #104 on: January 20, 2012, 10:15:51 AM »

In the yonder, there is life and surprises.  Who would have guessed a result of research and the questioning of many people, including several Doctors, would lead to such a decision.  Perhaps the surprise is why people like me want to live long and prosper, yes, we can’t wait to see what the next surprise will be.

Interviews revealed a general opinion that my old Nephrologist is the best in Northern California, that DaVita reuses dialyzers over and over again, and in that same Dialysis Center there is a patient with Hepatitis.  This led to a very serious meeting with the Supervising Nurse at RIA where we reached an agreement on wholesale changes.  With the discovery that my complaints are resolved, the notion of venturing into the unknowns of a new Dialysis Center seemed to be “not worth the risk”.  What turned my head was the opinions of several personal friends (Doctors) and a technician who works in both places.  Also, there are copious information about reusing dialyzers right here on “I Hate Dialysis”.

I am staying with RAI for now.  (It seems they like me)

For those that listened, encouraged, and advised, my wholehearted thanks.

gerald

Hodgkin's Lymphoma - 1993
Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Prostate Cancer return - 2000
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Hodgkin's Lymphoma return - 2011 - Chemo
Renal Failure - 2011
Renal Function returned after eight months of dialysis - 2012
Hodgkin's Lymphoma returned 2012 - Lifetime Chemo

Human hopes and human creeds
have their roots in human needs.

Eugene Fitch Ware
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #105 on: January 20, 2012, 10:29:43 AM »

A well-informed patient is usually a safer patient.  You did your homework and then made a decision.  That's the mantra you will hear over and over again here on IHD.  Anyone with a chronic illness really must find as much GOOD information as they possibly can.  It's not always easy to do that, especially if you are not feeling well, but it is necessary for survival.

When you feel like it, could you post more about what "wholesale changes" were discussed at RAI?

Sometimes we start off on the wrong foot.  Hit the reset button and start over.  I hope the travails of the past will stay there...in the past.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Gerald Lively

« Reply #106 on: January 20, 2012, 11:19:38 AM »

Changes - per brinksmanship:

1.    All patients will be informed/consulted at hook-up time about length of time and the amount of water to be taken out.  The patient can change the amount of water taken within limits.
2.    Dialyzers will be used once.
3.    The Social Worker must appear regularly among the patients.
4.    A review of the training for home dialysis.
5.    A partial return to the receptionist function.  There will be a person there during heavy patient traffic time.
6.    Already changed, patients will be given printouts of their blood work; panels on kidney function and diet.
7.    I must apologize to the Tech who I verbally abused.  Not to the Nurse.
8.    The door to the “pit” will remain locked; no garbage can to hold it open as had been the practice.
9.    Gerald gets his chair; same place everytime, away from window glare.
10.    Coughing patients will be placed in a separate room (glassed in room).
11.    There is a promise that staff attitudes toward patients will change for the better.
12.    I may continue to tell jokes.  (Respect all around).
13.   We talked about corporate problems with RAI who is now owned by Gambro – who is selling out to (I forgot the name). Both corporations are accused of saving and reusing dialysis medicines, a practice prohibited by Medicare.  They played dumb to that inquiry but they are on notice.
14.    I complained about appointment times and a new system has been inaugurated that permits a 15 minutes prep before they call the patients in.
15.    I told the Head Nurse (male) that I regret exploding but we all should not deny that I got their attention and that created an opportunity for improvement.
16.    I evaluated some of the staff.  I don’t know what the result will be.
Gerald

Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Renal Failure - 2011

Eugene Fitch Ware
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #107 on: January 20, 2012, 01:24:29 PM »

Changes - per brinksmanship:

1.    All patients will be informed/consulted at hook-up time about length of time and the amount of water to be taken out.  The patient can change the amount of water taken within limits.
2.    Dialyzers will be used once.
3.    The Social Worker must appear regularly among the patients.
4.    A review of the training for home dialysis.
5.    A partial return to the receptionist function.  There will be a person there during heavy patient traffic time.
6.    Already changed, patients will be given printouts of their blood work; panels on kidney function and diet.
7.    I must apologize to the Tech who I verbally abused.  Not to the Nurse.
8.    The door to the “pit” will remain locked; no garbage can to hold it open as had been the practice.
9.    Gerald gets his chair; same place everytime, away from window glare.
10.    Coughing patients will be placed in a separate room (glassed in room).
11.    There is a promise that staff attitudes toward patients will change for the better.
12.    I may continue to tell jokes.  (Respect all around).
13.   We talked about corporate problems with RAI who is now owned by Gambro – who is selling out to (I forgot the name). Both corporations are accused of saving and reusing dialysis medicines, a practice prohibited by Medicare.  They played dumb to that inquiry but they are on notice.
14.    I complained about appointment times and a new system has been inaugurated that permits a 15 minutes prep before they call the patients in.
15.    I told the Head Nurse (male) that I regret exploding but we all should not deny that I got their attention and that created an opportunity for improvement.
16.    I evaluated some of the staff.  I don’t know what the result will be.
Gerald

I am VERY impressed, Gerald! These are ALL changes that will improve quality of treatment for everyone! Kudos for your work!
#1 reminds me of a personal situation. I teach a diabetic child and have been giving him shots since he was 5 years old. He is such a trooper! But EVERY time, before the shot, I tell him how many units of insulin he is getting and ask if he wants to do his own shot. When he is wearing shorts, he often opts to give himself the shot. When he is wearing long pants he almost always opts for me to do it.

The point is that every bit of autonomy that the patient has improves self-esteem and can eliminate potential problems (more than one person checking the process).

This list of changes will most certainly have a positive impact on the other patients in terms of safety (especially #5,6 7 8), and quality of treatment (#1, 2, 3, 10 & 11). Plus, YOUR happiness and well-being are bound to improve (#12!!! & 9).

I'm impressed! Yes indeed!

Now, when would you like to come take over my business? It runs well, but with your track record, I think you could find some ways to make it even better!
 :2thumbsup;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Gerald Lively

« Reply #108 on: January 20, 2012, 04:39:00 PM »

Saw Ongologist today, a great guy.  (Should be after four cancers).  Current cancer is nearly invisible.  Will have to go for another cycle of chemo in March (four weeks).  Talked to the nurses in the chemo pit, damned if they don't remember me.  What is it about me that makes people remember me.  I am normal . . . . . sometimes.
gl

Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Renal Failure - 2011

Eugene Fitch Ware
Traveller1947

« Reply #109 on: January 20, 2012, 04:49:10 PM »

Congratulations,Gerald!  You did good work today and that empowers all of us. :clap;
Lindia

« Reply #110 on: January 22, 2012, 09:01:33 PM »

Saw Ongologist today, a great guy.  (Should be after four cancers).  Current cancer is nearly invisible.  Will have to go for another cycle of chemo in March (four weeks).  Talked to the nurses in the chemo pit, damned if they don't remember me.  What is it about me that makes people remember me.  I am normal . . . . . sometimes.
gl

Great News about the cancer !   :bandance;       I'm glad they are working with you at your current center.  Stay alert, if things start slipping,  you can "opt out"  of reuse at DaVita -  its a form you can request, and they willl use a new dialyzier on you everytime.    We did the "opt out" at Davita, as I saw to many slip up's out on the floor, and was worried about a slip up in cleaning for reuse.     We FINALLY got to start NxStage training last Monday (after a 9 month waiting list)  and my hubby is feeling a lot better -  I hope you get an opportunity to do daily hemo,  the difference is staggering .   
Gerald Lively

« Reply #111 on: January 27, 2012, 02:19:43 PM »

All I was doing was sitting there talking with my beautiful blond wife, when terror entered the room.  I was wearing a t-shirt and sweatpants, petting the dog, Auggie.  Well, Auggie somehow got this notion, this dangerous thought – he spotted the two dingle-dangles (chest catheter) and determined they were playthings.  He chomped on them and began to tug.  Visions of a slasher movie entered my head.  He didn’t want to let go, but I forced his little jaws open and I barked loudly at him.  He went and sat with my wife.  Then he bit her in the tit.  She reacted similarly – as she was wearing no bra but did have on a t-shirt.  By now I was truly worried.  Those boobs are important.

We got the situation under control.  Our reactions definitely influenced Auggie.

Gerald

Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Renal Failure - 2011

Eugene Fitch Ware
ToddB0130

« Reply #112 on: January 27, 2012, 08:40:28 PM »

Ahhhh, Gerald you make me laugh out loud sometimes.  Who knew Auggie was the 'devil dog'.  Time to get him a chew toy !!

No day but today
big777bill

« Reply #113 on: January 28, 2012, 05:44:38 AM »

:rofl; :clap; :yahoo; :bandance; :clap; :clap; :clap; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :boxing; :boxing; :Kit n Stik; :Kit n Stik; :bandance; :bandance; :yahoo; :yahoo; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

:bow;     Gerald, you da man!  :bow;

liver transplant 3/22/2005
CKD 2008

fistula 11/17/2011
 catheter 2/07/2012
 started  hemo-dialysis in center 2/07/2012
 fistula transposition 3/08/2012
 NxStage at home  3/29/2012
 Using fistula at home 6/25/2012
 Using new NxStage S High-Flow cycler 3/04/2014
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #114 on: January 28, 2012, 06:46:22 AM »

ohhhhhh my goodness,, what a lovely doggie Auggie you have....  Sounds like he wanted to make sure ya had some 'bark' left in ya and im thinkin a squeek from the wife... (ps..no worries bout the boobies... they heal well, i've been bit a few times myself  :o   ;)  )

willowtreewren
Member for Life

« Reply #115 on: January 28, 2012, 07:47:58 AM »

You barked at him?

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

Right on! Dogs do need to know who is the alpha animal! I think you talk Auggie's language and I'm SURE he got the message!

:clap; :clap;

Aleta

Gerald Lively

« Reply #116 on: January 28, 2012, 08:06:42 AM »

Arf

Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Renal Failure - 2011

Eugene Fitch Ware
willowtreewren
Member for Life

« Reply #117 on: January 28, 2012, 09:00:52 AM »

Arf

:rofl; :2thumbsup; :rofl; :2thumbsup;

Gerald Lively

« Reply #118 on: January 31, 2012, 03:11:49 PM »

As I search for a comfy place to curl up and rest, I decided to change dialysis schedule.  No more mornings and no more Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday.  We are now a part of the afternoon crowd on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Except there wasn’t a crowd.  It was half full when we arrived, and just two of us patients when we left for home.  Perhaps I had bad breath. 

In any case, I felt somewhat better.  I can now sleep in late, linger over coffee, and I can chase Joanie all over the house before I have to experience the depressive exercise of dialysis.  And the Dietician was on duty.  She told me I wasn’t getting enough iron, last week.  They gave me a supplement.  I took it a squinted eye.  Since then we’ve had hamburger every day.  Joanie is complaining.  I’ll go lick her on the neck, that always changes her mind.

Went to the county dump today.  This is the first time I have driven a vehicle since last November.  Didn’t wreck anything. Terrified a few people.  Auggie went with me. He had never seen a seagull before.  There were thousands of them today, all aiming at the bright red truck we were in.  Auggie ducked and gave it a tiny little bark.  I recited the “go to the dump” prayer:  “Little birdie in the sky, who put whitewash  in my eye, don’t you worry, I won’t cry, I only glad that cows don’t fly.”

The windshield washer worked.

Gerald

Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Renal Failure - 2011

Eugene Fitch Ware
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #119 on: January 31, 2012, 06:56:10 PM »

:)

Gerald Lively

« Reply #120 on: February 02, 2012, 03:37:10 PM »

Truth is, I feel a lot better since I questioned the water outtake. I almost feel like doing something, like, I feel guilty about being lazy.  Or am I lazy? 

Wife is having a hen party, or, call it a penis envy group, and that is why I have time on my hands today.   I don’t participate because they are making a quilt.  She needs a break from me and my needs.  God bless that white skinned lady.  (Her heritage is Danish – like a sweet thing for breakfast).  Blonde, tall and all of the rest.  She was my Secretary when I was Student Body Prez back in college.  37 years ago.  Has it been that long? 

Majored in Organizational Behavior (Small Group Dynamics).  Yep, one of those “people manipulators”.  I’m chuckling!  For you insiders, it was fun to use it once again. 

Auggie has been misbehaving lately, chasing the cats and crying bloody murder when the stand their ground.  What the heck, I think I’ll take the little rascal out for a walk.

gerald

Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Renal Failure - 2011

Eugene Fitch Ware
willowtreewren
Member for Life

« Reply #121 on: February 02, 2012, 04:15:45 PM »

I came here to this thread because another one made me feel all icky.....

I don't know, all that verse and chapter just made me feel like I needed a shower.  :rofl;

Yep....I feel better already.

Sounds like you are doing much better since you got that fluid removal under control.  :2thumbsup;

:waving;

Aleta

Gerald Lively

« Reply #122 on: February 02, 2012, 04:35:35 PM »

You feel "icky"? 

Let me clean you off.  Stand still while I squirt you with a hose.  (Squirt, squirt, wash, wash).

There now!  All better.

What thread made you all icky?

Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Renal Failure - 2011

Eugene Fitch Ware
willowtreewren
Member for Life

« Reply #123 on: February 02, 2012, 04:47:33 PM »

I'm a Racist.

There is a particular doc who makes me feel kind of slimy.

Thanks for the hosing off.  :2thumbsup;

:clap;

Gerald Lively

« Reply #124 on: February 02, 2012, 05:14:13 PM »

Am here to help.

Next time we'll run you through the car wash.

Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Renal Failure - 2011