I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 08:16:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Thoughts on a subject?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thoughts on a subject?  (Read 5285 times)
gkcoley

« on: December 02, 2011, 11:00:28 AM »

I have been on dialysis 12 years but im new to the unit im at.  Apatient died a few days ago, which im used to seeing  as ive been on dialysis so long.  This is the first death ive seen at this unit and they did an understandable but possibly unthought out thing.  During his shift today, my shift, they draped his chair in a black cloth and put a white rose on it.  While i understand the feeling behind it, it seems unsympathetic to the other patients who face death everyday and dont need a reminder staring at them when they come in and while they sit on the treatment.  Once again i understand the vigil and the mourning.  The method seems a bit morbid and cruel to other patients.  Thoughts?

There's No Smile Of An Angel Without The Wrath Of God
Katonsdad

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 11:19:16 AM »

Sounds YUCKY to me . I would have set a nice flower arrangement with a picture of the patient
and a small note expressing their grief in his passing.

Diabetes 1976
Eye issues 1987
Kidney Failure 1997
CAPD 1997 , Stopped 1997 due to infections evey 28 days
Started In Center Hemo 1997
Received Kidney/Pancreas transplant 1999 at UCLA
Wife and I had son in 2001 , by donor for my part (Stopping the illness train)
Kidney failed 2011 , Back on Hemo . Looking to retransplant as the Kidney is still working

Soft kitty, warm kitty,
 little ball of fur,
happy kitty,sleepy kitty,
 purr purr purr ::
Sheldon and Penny on The Big Bng Theory
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 12:07:13 PM »

yeah I think the gesture behind it (honoring /mourning the person) is sweet, but to put the black cloth over the chair, may scare or depress other patients...it is a bit over the top. My last unit that had a small bulletin board in the lobby...if someone passed they would put the obituary on the bulletin board with a smiling picture....I thought that was nice....

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 01:51:02 PM »

I personally think this is dreadful and insensitive.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Restorer

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 03:25:09 PM »

That would make me uncomfortable.

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

3/2007Kidney failure diagnosed5/2010In-center hemodialysis
8/2008Peritoneal catheter placed1/2012Upper arm fistula created
9/2008Peritoneal catheter replaced3/2012Started using fistula
9/2008Began CAPD4/2012Buttonholes created
3/2009Switched to CCPD w/ Newton IQ cycler            4/2012HD catheter removed
7/2009Switched to Liberty cycler            4/2018Transplanted at UCLA!
kevinswife

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 03:41:28 PM »

My husband is a dialysis patient.  If I walked into his dialysis center and saw a black cloth draped over the chair, it would freak me out!  It would probably be less morbid if they had the rose in a vase next to the patient's picture.  Another idea is to pass around a card for the patients and staff to sign and express their sympathy to the family. 

Wife and care partner to Katonsdad. 
May you rest in peace my dear husband.
iketchum

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 03:51:43 PM »

I am a Vet getting dialysis at a VA hospital. There have been four deaths last month and a chair draped with an American flag and the persons name each time. I think it is fine to honor these men like this.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 04:06:10 PM »

I am a Vet getting dialysis at a VA hospital. There have been four deaths last month and a chair draped with an American flag and the persons name each time. I think it is fine to honor these men like this.

But this is not what happened at the original poster's clinic.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 06:24:57 PM »

I think the sympathy card signing and presenting it to the patients family would of been the way to go.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
needlephobic

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 06:57:11 PM »

At the center I go to we had a patient pass away and they had her d machine turned off and a simple yellow rose in her chair. I thought it was nice
Desert Dancer

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 08:09:44 PM »

I can't imagine how that would affect a new patient walking in for the very first time. No, seems a little short-sighted and a bit insensitive to other patients. Something far more low-key would have been appropriate.

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 08:19:12 PM »

At Gregory's centre the machine would be empty, is all.  The staff would say, "so and so is in hospital" and then later they'd tell the other patients that they'd died.  The machine was empty at their normal time, which was a bit of a giveaway.  Later someone new would be in the chair.  He frowned at the thought of draping chairs.  They didn't make a big deal out of it because everyone was in the same boat. 

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 08:19:57 PM »

We've had 10 go this year. Sometimes, an 'In Memorium' card goes up on the notice board. That's about it.

Galvo
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 08:34:13 PM »

when i was in clinic it was like wipe the chair and next one in

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 12:07:48 AM »

I often would ask what happened when a patient would not return, and the nurse would say that HIPPA rules prevented them from discussing other patients. They also moved patients around without notice, and getting your same spot every time was not guaranteed. There was no mention of anyone dying, no memorial, no card. It was very upsetting to me. Jenna was there when 2 patients died while on the machine, saw the paramedics and rescue attempts. That was very hard for her. Then after a day or two, there'd be someone new in the clinic.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2011, 04:59:11 AM »

I do hope this was meant as a sincere gesture...
...but it is strange all the same and makes me shiver.

I would have thought that people working in a Dialysis-Centre
would act in the same way as nurses do in a ward when a patient unfortunately dies –
that they discreetly deal with the matter
avoiding any distress to the other patients in the ward.

This gesture in your Dialysis-Unit is macabre and is “rubbing it in a bit”
and I find this very disturbing...

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2011, 05:29:41 AM »

I don't even like it when FLOWERS show up in the clilnic and they are from someone's funeral!  Gross!  Sorry but I don't like that.

Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2011, 05:49:41 AM »

Flags on the chairs for VA hospitals sounds appropriate, but black sheets and a flower for others seems morbid.  A simple flower and photo tribute is nice.  I would think they would simply wipe off the chair, and let the next person have their turn.  Dialysis machines are meant to be used, not to become tombstone shadows.  I haven't seen anyone die at the center yet, but I've only been doing dialysis for 6 weeks. 
justme15

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2011, 06:36:17 AM »

when i was in clinic it was like wipe the chair and next one in

this is how it was at my mom's clinic.
fearless

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2011, 05:00:44 PM »

at my clinic, 2 or 3 people use the same chair/machine in a day.  And the times overlap for the people in the clinic at any given time.  It think there's about 25-30 stations in there.  I wouldn't want to come in and sit in a chair that had just had a black cloth draped over it for a few hours before I got there.  And I wouldn't want anybody to identify ME with a chair in that center!  It's not like it's my barca lounger in my den.  No, I am separate from the chair, and anyone who sat in that chair before me was separate from it too.  No black cloths.  Flowers and photos somewhere ELSE in the clinic.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2011, 12:03:45 AM »

gee tough one. I don't know how I'd feel if I was in a clinic that did that. I guess I would understand and appreciate the gesture in the way it was intended, but at the same time be very much extra aware and sensitive to my own mortality - it would be  much more difficult for some patients I think - specially those sick or in similar situations to the one just lost.

In my unit nobody had dedicated chairs - it was kind of first in, best dressed sort of thing, so that would have never happened.

I would have though a gesture perhaps outside the treatment area, maybe on a notice board or as you come in or something would be more appropriate - don't try and hide what happened (everyone would know about it anyway) but have an appropriate place, like in the lobby or something, so folks don't stare at it through their session and be constantly reminded. That's just me though.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2011, 02:39:23 AM »

In my clinic, there are 9 chairs, and we don't always sit in the same spot.  You go where you are set up, and that's generally decided the night before, when trying to figure a spot for up to 18 patients per day, and get everybody on and off in a meaningful time frame, and for those of us who are on in the afternoon, off before a certain time in the evening.

When someone dies, most times we don't know unless someone sees an obituary in the paper.  When someone I'd known for many years had died, we didn't know until months later, when Mom found a memorial for her, while looking for something else.  The nurses said nothing, and since she'd been on home dialysis before, we thought that she'd gone back to that.

Because of the way they seem to do things, and the fact that they'd probably need the chair, I don't see them draping the chair with anything, except for a sheet, readying it for the next patient

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Subeat

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2011, 11:16:15 AM »

I'm a short timer, so haven't experienced the death of a fellow patient yet.  I have seen a couple taken away by EMTs, but they returned a few days later.  I think some type of low key tribute would be appropriate, but a chair draped in black just seems morbid to me.  And definitely not something I would want to be looking at for 4 hours. 
gkcoley

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2011, 11:50:42 AM »

Thank you for all the responses...i see most people feel the way that i do.  Understand the feelings behind it, but it was expressed in the wrong way

There's No Smile Of An Angel Without The Wrath Of God
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »