I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 01:14:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Binders
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Binders  (Read 22566 times)
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2007, 01:11:37 PM »

I didnt see no ice cream Gramma so no one will be hearing anything from me (for a small price) ;)  Regarding your heartburn,  have you ever tried Prilosec?  That stuff works good, and there was a time when i was fighting it daily and once i started taking it, i rarely have a problem with it, and if i do, 1 pill is all it takes, it is over the counter, just lettin' ya know ;)  I was taking renagel for the longest time and always had a problem with my phosphorus,  the tums is what helped ME the best, but now, my calcium has reached normal levels, no more tums, gosh darnit  :(   We just cant win can we?  :P

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2007, 01:30:00 AM »

I never went on the Renegel but have kept the script handy just in case. I am off the Caltrate (thank god, chewing that disgusting Calcium Carbonate really got up my nose... all that chalk in the mouth YUCK.. and it makes the taste of food even worse!!). Now I am just on alutabs as a phosphate binder and when I am good and take them with the food my phosphate is great, around 1.00. My calcium is stilla  bit high (2.63) but the doc isn't too concerned. PTH is all over the place so go figure.

I really should stop eating cheese.. but what's the point of ordering a cheeseburger without the cheese? :)

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
charee
Elite Member

« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2007, 02:13:29 AM »

I never went on the Renegel but have kept the script handy just in case. I am off the Caltrate (thank god, chewing that disgusting Calcium Carbonate really got up my nose... all that chalk in the mouth YUCK.. and it makes the taste of food even worse!!). Now I am just on alutabs as a phosphate binder and when I am good and take them with the food my phosphate is great, around 1.00. My calcium is stilla  bit high (2.63) but the doc isn't too concerned. PTH is all over the place so go figure.

I really should stop eating cheese.. but what's the point of ordering a cheeseburger without the cheese? :)

I have`never chewed my caltrate  The dietitian just told me to cut them into 1/4's and swallow, don't think i could chew them Yuk

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2007, 02:14:00 AM »

??? Why did you chew the Caltrate? Yuck. There is no way I am going to chew them. I swallow them whole.
Is your Aluminum creeping up with the Alutabs?   Its a vicious circle we run around...    :P

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2007, 05:26:45 AM »

Zach, Is your Phosphate measured the same as ours? mmol/L and what is the code for calcium/phosphorus?

"There are two main methods of describing concentrations: by weight, and by molecular count. Weights are in grams, molecular counts in moles.  This means that the conversion factor depends on the molecular weight of the substance in question."
Sorry, I can't be of more help.

U.S. Goals:
Calcium         8.4-9.5 mg/dL   =   2.10-2.37 mmol/L
Phosphorus    3.5-5.5 mg/dL   =   1.13-1.78 mmol/L

Ca x P < 55 mg/dL  = <4.44 mmol/L
iPTH < 300pg/mL   = <31.8 pmol/L

Alutabs is only used in the US as a last resort and for only a short time, because of alumiinum toxicity. Is that worth it ... just to keep eating a lot of cheese.    :-\
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 06:33:56 AM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2007, 05:51:03 AM »

If only I could consistently remember to take my binders because most of the time I forget. Try as I might I forget at least once a day and when I remember it's usually about 2 hours after. :(

Ken
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2007, 08:35:34 AM »

Re chewing Caltrate...

I was taking them whole but they didn't seem to be working and the nurses and the doc told me I should chew them with the food to get an effect.. well they did start working then and they started cutting them down to eventually nothing (lol).. it was horrid chewing those things I can tell you!!!!

re alutabs... the Al was up a bit but not at an alarming level.. I think they were going to put me on Renegel to cut me off those and the Caltrate but the doc doesn't want to at this point. I'll mention the Al levels to him and ask what he thinks...

and no I do not want or do any binders for the sake of some cheese :(

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2007, 03:54:08 PM »

Zach, Is your Phosphate measured the same as ours? mmol/L and what is the code for calcium/phosphorus?

"There are two main methods of describing concentrations: by weight, and by molecular count. Weights are in grams, molecular counts in moles.  This means that the conversion factor depends on the molecular weight of the substance in question."
Sorry, I can't be of more help.

U.S. Goals:
Calcium         8.4-9.5 mg/dL   =   2.10-2.37 mmol/L
Phosphorus    3.5-5.5 mg/dL   =   1.13-1.78 mmol/L

Ca x P < 55 mg/dL  = <4.44 mmol/L
iPTH < 300pg/mL   = <31.8 pmol/L

Alutabs is only used in the US as a last resort and for only a short time, because of alumiinum toxicity. Is that worth it ... just to keep eating a lot of cheese.    :-\

Thank You again Zach,

You always come through with the goods  ;)  Our levels are measured in mmol/L and pmol/L. 
The first part of your post had me   ???  :P

PKD
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2007, 07:59:15 PM »

Ken, me too with the dang binders. I forget all of the time.  I now keep a bottle  of Tums in my car (along with the whiskey!)

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2007, 03:42:05 PM »

This is a question about TUMS. I am curious to know if they are the same as we have here, sold as an antacid.
Sold in Australia are: Andrews Tums Antacid 500mg Calcium Carbonate per tablet. Orange flavour only.
Caltrate has 1500mg calcium carbonate per tablet.

Are you taking 6-9 tums per meal?  ??? 

PKD
charee
Elite Member

« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2007, 04:10:25 PM »

Well after only 2 sessions they tell me i won't have to take Caltrate anymore maybe from next week . I only take 3, 1 at each meal. One less tablet a day yippee!!!

Home Hemo  18 months
from my beautiful sister

Live donors rock
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2007, 05:59:44 PM »

Well after only 2 sessions they tell me i won't have to take Caltrate anymore maybe from next week . I only take 3, 1 at each meal. One less tablet a day yippee!!!

Is there anyone else on dialysis managing their phosphate level without binders? I am just curious as I haven't heard of anyone stopping altogether. I assumed it was a continual struggle with numbers   :P
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 06:02:02 PM by Wattle » Logged

PKD
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2007, 06:08:41 PM »

This is a question about TUMS. I am curious to know if they are the same as we have here, sold as an antacid.
Sold in Australia are: Andrews Tums Antacid 500mg Calcium Carbonate per tablet. Orange flavour only.

TUMS comes in different strengths .. regular, E-X and Ultra.  Used as an antacid and as a phosphate binder.
I've used E-X in the past .. before my calcium went too high (10.2)
One E-X tablet, which is chewable, contains 750 mg of Calcium Carbonate = 300 mg of elemental calcium.  Just two tablets with meals used to do the trick for me.  They come in different flavors, some are good tasting like assorted berries or strawberries and cream, and others  taste horrid.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 06:14:24 PM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2007, 06:12:47 PM »

One tablet, which is chewable, contains 750 mg of Calcium Carbonate = 300 mg of elemental calcium.  Just two tablets with meals used to do the trick for me.   They come in different flavors, some are good tasting like assorted berries or strawberries and cream, and others  taste horrid.

Oh man Zach, you only took 2?  I took 5-6  :o  No wonder my calcium shot way up in one month, aye yi yi, what was i thinkin?  and my favorite flavor is definetly the assorted fruit then the assorted berries,   :2thumbsup;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Chicken Little

« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2007, 07:18:38 PM »

Is there anyone else on dialysis managing their phosphate level without binders? I am just curious as I haven't heard of anyone stopping altogether. I assumed it was a continual struggle with numbers   :P

I mainly take them when I eat something bad.  >:D  My phos is in the high 2's and I just got cheese added back into my diet.   :yahoo;
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2007, 08:57:36 PM »

If a person is on nocturnal hemodialysis (7-8 hours overnight, 5-6 nights a week) they usually can do without binders.  After a few months, they may also be able to decrease or eliminate other medications as well.  It's the "gold standard" of dialysis ... almost as good as  transplant.
 8)

I make films.

charee
Elite Member

« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2007, 08:58:44 PM »

4th Session over down to 1 caltrate aday with the biggest meal it might change as i go who knows..Getting blood work done at every session for awhile to keep a check on things

Home Hemo  18 months
from my beautiful sister

Live donors rock
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2007, 09:01:14 PM »

4th Session over down to 1 caltrate aday with the biggest meal it might change as i go who knows..Getting blood work done at every session for awhile to keep a check on things

Do you still have any kidney function left?

I make films.

charee
Elite Member

« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2007, 09:03:11 PM »

Do you still have any kidney function left?

Yeah 5 to 6% still pee aliittle abit

Home Hemo  18 months
from my beautiful sister

Live donors rock
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2007, 09:39:59 PM »

TUMS comes in different strengths .. regular, E-X and Ultra.  Used as an antacid and as a phosphate binder.
I've used E-X in the past .. before my calcium went too high (10.2)
One E-X tablet, which is chewable, contains 750 mg of Calcium Carbonate = 300 mg of elemental calcium.  Just two tablets with meals used to do the trick for me.  They come in different flavors, some are good tasting like assorted berries or strawberries and cream, and others  taste horrid.

Thanks Zach and Goofynina,
We only have the ones I mentioned available to us in Australia   :-\  Plain orange chewable 500mg. I suppose I will have to stick to Caltrate.  :-X They could make them a little more tasty!

PKD
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »