I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:49:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  A scared wife looking for answers
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A scared wife looking for answers  (Read 4586 times)
mommak

« on: November 27, 2011, 01:56:57 AM »

Thank you for this site.  My husband is currently in the hospital.  A few weeks ago he had what we thought was the flu.  When he didn't get better in a week we went to the doctor.  She did some labwork and we found 2 interesting pieces of information.  First,  he was septic.  Second his 3 month blood sugar was 14.6. He had not previously been diagnosed as diabetic.  He was admitted to the hospital.  They found a cyst on his liver and drained 70ccs of fluid from it.  Then suddenly he stopped being able to urinate.  Ultrasound of his bladder showed it was empty.  Labs were showing levels that were elevating rapidly.  He was started on dialysis.  The tell me it is temporary but in the meantime I have a lot to learn.
I am scared,  we have 3 little girls who adore there daddy.  I can not imagine life without him.
Traveller1947

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 02:45:08 AM »

Hi mommak,  Let me be the first of many good people who welcome you to this site and who will support you and answer your questions and calm your fears, if that's possible.  It must be terrifying to have all of this happen so suddenly, your husband so sick and three young children to take care of.  Please take care of yourself first and foremost.  Your husband is getting the care he needs in the hospital and dialysis will remove toxins and he'll start to feel better.  It's a difficult journey you're on, no wonder you're scared, but post here and you will find much sympathy and many answers.  All the best to you.
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 03:21:38 AM »

First of all mommak welcome to the site. What you are going through is scary, scary for your husband and scary for your self and children. Take one day at a time. He is in the best place and they are looking after him. The kidneys are funny things and some people get ill and are put on dialysis for a short while so the body can heal its self, I really hope this is the case, but if not dialysis is not the end of the world. Please keep coming here and letting us know how things are going. Be positive for your husband and family. They do not like putting people on dialysis unless absolutely necessary, with good care and meds you will have him home in no time.
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 06:46:56 AM »

:welcomesign; mommak.  I'm so sorry that you *had* to find us here, but I'm glad you did.  We can offer you lots of support and hope and advice.  *fingers crossed* it really is only temporary.  Keep us updated on how things are going. 

*huggles* for you and your little girls (and hubby too, obviously).

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 08:08:27 AM »

Hi mommak, and welcome to IHD.  There is a lot to learn about dialysis.  I would trust them if they say it is acute renal failure which means his kidney function will return once they fix the other things.  Start slow and learn what you need to for acute renal failure.  If they start talking about putting in a 'permanent' access then you are probably in for the long haul.  In either case renal failure is not a death sentence.  Lots of people here have been on dialysis for over 20 years.

Keep us posted.

Rerun, Moderator      :welcomesign;

willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 01:15:27 PM »

First you need some hugs......

:grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug;

The difference between chronic kidney failure and acute (which sounds worse) is that with acute kidney failure, your husband will very likely regain kidney function once the factors that caused it are corrected. When someone has chronic kidney failure....well, there isn't too much hope to regain that function.

I know that things are scary when you are in the hospital. Health care providers forget that you don't really understand what they are telling you. Let's get your dear husband taken care of so he can go home and be with you and your girls.

:cuddle;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Gerald Lively

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 03:25:19 PM »

Please consider these comments from a guy who was hauled into the hospital unconscious, hallucinating and shouting expletives.  Yep, that was me. I tried to punch-out the clerk who insisted that I fill-out forms before a doctor could see me.  I went in for a colonoscopy and ended up on a dialysis machine. (Long story) It was my observant and loving wife who saved my buns.
Dialysis turns out to be far from a fatality and if your husband has to go that route, thank your lucky stars.  It sounds like he may recover completely, that is even better.  There is no alternative, so relax; he is in the right place at the right time.  Good on you.
Now, I am a cranky old curmudgeon and I demand to know everything before it is done to me.  I cope through humor and I do a lot of coping around these parts.  I am active or was active; riding a Harley, living in the mountains, chasing wild animals while wearing my bear skin outfit, and chasing revenuers away from the still.  But all of that changed.  Yes, the wild animals don’t get as much exercise as they are used too.  Besides, that bear skin wardrobe was itchy.  Now I watch my Raiders lose football games, watch my Cal Bears lose football games to the extent that my wife bought me a Kindle Fire.  Now I am the champ of Kindle hearts games.  I write for several forums and I have convinced myself that the landscape outside is finished whereas before it was never finished.  That’s what I do.  Life goes on and I will adjust, maybe, some of the time.  Okay, now and then.
Finally I have retired.  Whew!
gerald

Hodgkin's Lymphoma - 1993
Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Prostate Cancer return - 2000
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Hodgkin's Lymphoma return - 2011 - Chemo
Renal Failure - 2011
Renal Function returned after eight months of dialysis - 2012
Hodgkin's Lymphoma returned 2012 - Lifetime Chemo

Human hopes and human creeds
have their roots in human needs.

Eugene Fitch Ware
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 07:26:39 PM »

My story is very similar to your husbands. I also thought I had the flu and was admited to the hospital. I had to go on dialysis. My urine function did return though unfortunetly my kidneys full function did not, but this site has been very helpful in supportive and will answer a lot of questions you or your husband may have.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
mommak

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 09:40:23 AM »

Hubby was sent home on Wednesday and had his first outpatient dialysis session yesterday.  I am praying that his energy will start to return soon.  Our lives are so busy, and it is hard to see him laid up like this.  I know that he is expected to get better, but it is very hard to see then end of the tunnel right now.
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 12:16:07 PM »

WELCOME!  :yahoo;

Now when you say "get better" what exactly do you mean? The docs think his kidney function will come back and he won't have to do dialysis any longer?

Hang in there!

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
mommak

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 07:29:57 PM »

Rsudock...  Thd Nephrologist says his kidney function was good before.  I know just before he was hospitalized his urine was having issues.  I think sugar  and ketones but at the time we were focusing on diabetes issues. 
He seems to be peeing a lot more today, I think.
If i look at his arms,  any scars that he has are very obvious.  Is that from retaining fluids?

One more thing.   His is having muscle and joint pain in his shoulders and arms.  Any suggestions about what will help?
shorty590000

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 11:49:25 AM »

I am new to this as well as you are... but i just wanted to let you know my story is similar to your husbands.. I too, was septic shock... although I did not have flu like symptoms.. Severe pain, probably the worse pain I have ever felt in my life, was occuring in my back... they never have told me what caused this pain. but obviously it was the kidneys.. that is what sent me to the ER and they realized how deep in trouble I was.... the told me in the beginning(May 1011) that dialysis would just be temporary.. and it was . I was on it until October and I am now off with 18% kidney function.. So hopefully, your husband will get to come off too,, soon... I really feel pretty good...I keep reading how bad I am supposed to feel with such low kidney function, but I feel almost normal... keep us updated... really would like to know how things turn out..hoping for the best..

Michelle
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 05:51:36 PM »

Hi mommak and welcome to IHD!   :welcomesign;  It sounds like you all have been on quite a ride lately and I hope your hubby's kidneys start up strong very soon.

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
mommak

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 10:07:27 AM »

Thank you all so much for your support.  Mike's labwork has all been returned as fine.  He was discharged from Dialysis and they removed his permacath yesterday.  He will be followed by Nephrology for a while to make sure that everything continues to go well, but for now everything looks good.
 :flower;
thank you again for all of your kind words and guidance through a scary time.  I hope you all had a blessed Christmas and have a wonderful new year filled with people you love.
justjen321

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 02:07:47 PM »

Best Christmas gift you could ask for!

Congrats. :)

TIA reveals failed kidneys (completely unexpected) January 2011
Husband on home PD since May, 2011
Switching to NxStage Home Hemo Nocturnal early spring of 2011

http://failedbeans.blogspot.com/
Katonsdad

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2011, 04:19:52 PM »

:bandance; :bandance; :bandance;

Thats great news

Diabetes 1976
Eye issues 1987
Kidney Failure 1997
CAPD 1997 , Stopped 1997 due to infections evey 28 days
Started In Center Hemo 1997
Received Kidney/Pancreas transplant 1999 at UCLA
Wife and I had son in 2001 , by donor for my part (Stopping the illness train)
Kidney failed 2011 , Back on Hemo . Looking to retransplant as the Kidney is still working

Soft kitty, warm kitty,
 little ball of fur,
happy kitty,sleepy kitty,
 purr purr purr ::
Sheldon and Penny on The Big Bng Theory
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 06:49:16 PM »

hallaluuuu YA!!   :clap;  Best ever news!!!    keep in touch  :bandance;  :bandance;  :bandance;

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2011, 11:20:24 PM »

:welcomesign;

hope you come back from time to time, let all of us know how mikes travelling

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2011, 08:15:41 AM »

That is really good news. Don't these men stress us woman out!
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2011, 10:59:49 AM »

:2thumbsup; Good news! Happy New Year!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2011, 11:21:55 AM »

Wonderful news! :clap;  I am so glad that he is able to be with his loved ones for the New Year.  Please consider that you are now part of the IHD family - a tremendous group of sharing and caring people :grouphug; .  Even if you never have any more renal issues, we hope to still hear from you.  Please let us know how your husband is doing.
A blessed and healthy 2012 to you, your husband and your girls.

Bajanne, Moderator

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2012, 04:18:56 PM »

Just signed in on this intro aaaaannnnndddd what an intro it WAS.  So glad for the good news!  What an awesome gift to start 2012 with!

God Bless,
lmunchkin

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
hubbyhatesdialysis

My handsome hubby and I

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2012, 04:54:07 PM »

I am so happy your hubby is OK!! That is great news!! :)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »