I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 06:18:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  what does it feel like??
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: what does it feel like??  (Read 2850 times)
justme15

« on: November 20, 2011, 11:37:10 AM »

when my mom did incenter HD, the main complaint she had was about those needles.  she said they were the size of nails and hurt! sometimes she would have to get stuck several times if they didn't get the right spot!
so, needless to say, I am very nervous about this aspect of HD. She dealt with it for 17 years, and many on this site deal with these needles, but I'm curious to know what does it feel like? how bad is it?
I have no problems with getting blood taken, getting shots, and getting IV's. but HD needles seem to be something completely different.  How would you all describe your first experiences with 'the needles'?
Pam

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 11:58:00 AM »

Hi justme15.......I started dialysis in May 2009. I do not have a fear of needles so that was not a problem. I do have a low pain tollerence. My clinic gave a script for emla cream. I used that for about 6 weeks. Then we did buttonholes. Once they were established I did not need the vream. Sometimes there is preasure with the arterial but no pain. so ask for the vream. There is also a numbing agent that comes in spay form but I do not know what it is called. Good luck!
Pam
Pam

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 12:00:35 PM »

:oops;Sorry I hit post instead of spell check
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 12:25:00 PM »

I use the emla cream.  I put it on 1 hour before my treatment.  It absolutely does help.  My insurance stopped paying for it once and my doctor wrote them that I needed it and I followed with a call.  When I told the insurance rep that I got 15 gauge needles 3 days a week they approved it again right away.
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 02:40:38 PM »

I'll be asking about emla cream as I get my fistuala on Tuesday.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 02:59:28 PM »

I use emla cream. I get it over the counter, so I don't need a prescription.  I put it on about an hour or so beforehand, then I don't feel it when those drinking straw needles pierce the skin.  I did my first couple of sticks without the cream, and it was so different than with it.  It comes in patches now, which makes it easier to apply.  I think the patches are good for people who are just starting with a new fistula, and are only doing one needle at a time.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 04:06:09 PM »

I've never heard of the patches!  That's really convenient!

Is there anyone here who does NOT use either the cream or the spray and who doesn't yet have established buttonholes?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
deanocank

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 04:24:43 PM »

hi im deano and i have tryd doing it without the emlar cream and it hurts iv had real bad problems with the nursing staff bumping my needles and it swells really bad and gets realy painfull for up to a week afterwards and i get bad bruising and myarm goes black and blue so i have one back on the cream with the cream some times i can hardly feel anything so i recommend using it .has any1 had this problem with nurse's bumpin your arm and do you get bruising and is it normal????????????????
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 04:27:54 PM »

I am just starting with my fistula and we don't use the cream. They are establishing my buttonholes so we will be using 16 gauge needles starting next week.  It hurts a bit at the beginning but nothing unbearable.  I have light bruises the size of quarters from last week but that's it.
ESRD Survivor

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 06:35:26 PM »

I notice a lot of people use 15 gauge needles.  My unit uses 14 gauge needles.  I am wondering if it is necessary to use 14 gauge.  Will I get just a good of clean with a 15 versus 14?  I use elma cream myself.  I may always use it as we cant seem to get button holes on my fistula.  We are on our second try.
HILINE

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 06:51:34 PM »

no creame, 14 gauge needles, no pain, only certain techs stick me
mcclane

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 08:10:47 AM »

My best advice, look away.  When you see the nurse poke you with the needle, it must be subconcious or something, but it hurts more.

I haven't been poked with a sharp in about 4 months (i use blunts), but my last sharp i just told them to shove it in (they offered some kind of cream, but i declined).  I did look away, the pain wasn't as bad as i thought it was going to be.

blunts, if you get it in the track, don't hurt at all, in fact, you barely feel anything.
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 06:34:53 AM »

I've never heard of the patches!  That's really convenient!

Is there anyone here who does NOT use either the cream or the spray and who doesn't yet have established buttonholes?

No I don't use emla cream or spray and they don't do button hole at my clinic. I didn't find it too painful at first because they start with the lowest gauge needles. It also depends on the nurses and how quick they get the needle through the skin. I find if it goes through the skin quickly I hardly feel anything as long as the needle is central in the vein.

I'm happy to say that most of our nurses at the clinic are excellent at this except for one. She couldn't seem to get it together with my fistula at all so now she doesn't needle me by mutual agreement. I now use 15 gauge needles still no cream or spray.

Ken
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 11:41:21 AM »

I never look when someone is sticking me.. if I look, my instinct tells me to move, but if I move, I can make things much, much worse.. I found that out when I was a kid.. they used to take blood from the fingers, and I always watched, and always pulled away.. one day, when I pulled away, the edge of the needle caught, and tore the skin on my finger.. it made a nasty mess, and they couldn't get any blood from it.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »