I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 07:35:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  anyone shared these symptoms after beginning hemo? not tolerable!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: anyone shared these symptoms after beginning hemo? not tolerable!  (Read 4384 times)
fearless

« on: November 05, 2011, 07:13:20 PM »

I started in-clinic hemo a couple weeks ago after being on PD for 8 years.

Here's what's happening:
shortly after starting therapy my fingers and eyelids become more puffy than they were when i came in.  Then the headache starts.  It gets worse and worse and by the time i leave I have a full-blown migraine.  Eventually the puffiness subsides and by the next day I'm less puffy than when i went in the clinic the day before.
I'm able to tolerate the fluid coming off without much change in blood pressure.

For the first time today the doctor had the nurse "flush" the dialysate (or something like that:-)  and that seemed to do away with one problem, which was that after the therapy started i would see a little glowing clock face in the middle of my field of vision (visual disturbance)  but i still got the headache thing going on - it was maybe not as bad but still intolerable. 

Anybody have any knowledge or experience about this sort of problem?
fearless

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 07:17:25 PM »

PS - this happened even on the couple of days when we hardly took off any fluid at all
bleija

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 08:56:00 PM »

i just got put on hemo 3 months ago after 2 yearas of PD, and the migraines are terrible, i get one every treatment, the only thing i can advise is exedrin migraine, idk if we're suposed to take it, but thts the only otc med that helps,. for me anyway. my BP is weird, at first my pressuere would drop, now it stays high and doewsnt come down, but gets higher at the end of my treatment. it sucks bc  the headaches i get wont respond to anything
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 09:09:45 PM »

For the first 4 months or so on hemo, I had headaches after dialysis, not migraines, but headaches for sure.

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 12:55:52 AM »

I would have migraines and throw up afterwards b/c the pain was so bad. I realized the weekends and 2 days without D, then trying to go Monday and take fluid off was the worst. I really had to watch the fluid intake and they could only take 2 liters off max on Mondays. I also would have them shut the UF off 1/2 hour before getting off the machine on Mondays...worse pain ever...still makes me wince just thinking about it...I posted 11 months ago about this same situation....good luck!

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 11:01:12 AM »

Since you aren't crashing from low bp, it could be that you are allergic to something used in the process.  You might be reacting to things in the dialyzer (filter), which is a good possibility if the pre-flush seems to help.  Heparin allergies are pretty common as well.  Latex is another possibility.  Demand that they start trying different things to see if they can figure out if it is an allergy, and what it is.  Ask for non-latex gloves for one treatment.  Ask them to hold off on the heparin for another, or see if they can use some other form of blood thinner.  My guess is that the dialyzer is the most likely cause, since some symptoms have abated just by flushing it.  They should be able to order different brands or kinds to try.  I'd guess this is going to be the last thing they try, though, since it's the most expensive for them to do!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

The Noob

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 12:20:08 PM »

this happened to DH in center. first it was due to re-use of dialyzor, so stopped that. then it was too much saline, and also heparin.

is there anyway you'd consider doing home hemo? from what i've learned, its the high pump speed, pulling too much too fast, too much epogen, other things. now that DH is on Nxstage, he takes nothing but phos binders and a vitamin. no BP meds and has not needed epogen in months. and he is peeing again!
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 01:27:18 PM »

Just wanted to add that excedrin is just tylenol with an extra dose of caffeine, so it's ok to take

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
fearless

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 06:14:10 PM »

Thanks SO MUCH everyone.  It seems like there's no definitive answer, but plenty of things to try for a solution.

I'm going to use the information I've gained from all comments to have further discussion with doc.

@ TheNoob: yes, I am looking forward to the possibility of doing hemo at home, but I need to make in-clinic work for now, at least for a while.  My fistula is maturing while I use a neck catheter (wonder if THAT contributes to headache?) and my "homeostasis" seems so screwed up that I need to get on an even keel first, but it's so great to know how much better your husband is doing by dialyzing at home.  So glad!

Thanks again everyone!
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 06:50:07 PM »

When I had my neck line in for days, it messed up a nerve in my shoulder, I now have neuritis from the damage to the nerve. I found that the neckline was so heavy and it buggered up my shoulder, it's been a weak spot on me ever since and its been over a year now I've been on D.

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
fearless

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 07:08:59 PM »

wow, that really sucks.  I suspect I may have a similar problem because the catheter really restricts my neck movement (pain) and I think it's starting to make me hold my head in a peculiar, unnatural way.  That can't be good!  Can you get any therapy for that?  I hope there might be a way to reverse it.

Restorer

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 07:11:26 PM »

A side note: Extra Strength Excedrin has Tylenol, aspirin, and caffeine. You probably want to avoid the aspirin. Tension Headache Excedrin has only Tylenol and caffeine, and is safer for us.

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

3/2007Kidney failure diagnosed5/2010In-center hemodialysis
8/2008Peritoneal catheter placed1/2012Upper arm fistula created
9/2008Peritoneal catheter replaced3/2012Started using fistula
9/2008Began CAPD4/2012Buttonholes created
3/2009Switched to CCPD w/ Newton IQ cycler            4/2012HD catheter removed
7/2009Switched to Liberty cycler            4/2018Transplanted at UCLA!
fearless

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 07:20:22 PM »

thanks to those who gave information about exederin - i will make use of that.  i tend to see pain as a message though, too.  If there is a way to prevent the headache i want to find it because it will probably mean that I have found a way to do something that's better for me health-wise.  I know sometimes there's no solution though, and then I'm just really grateful to have the painkillers   :)
Big E

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 01:06:51 PM »

Fearless, you might ask your doctor if you can take Imitrex.  I don't know if it's safe for kidney patients but it wouldn't hurt to ask.  In my younger days I was plagued by horrible migraines and Imitrex was the only thing that helped.

I'm so sorry you have to go through this.   :cuddle;

PKD diagnosed June 1996
Started in-center hemodialysis May 2010
fearless

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 06:04:41 PM »

Thanks Big E!
jshabanian

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2011, 07:11:35 PM »

I got migraines during hemodialysis too.  My blood pressure would go through the roof.  They finally decided to do something with the sodium profiling on the hemo machine.  They turned it off, I believe.  They usually give sodium to dialysis patients because their bp tends to drop when the fluid is pulled, but in my case my bp just got higher with the added sodium.  Once they turned it off my headaches decreased. 
tbarrett2533

Me licking my kidneys from my birthday kidney cake

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2011, 07:51:07 PM »

The whole entire 8 months I was on Hemo I was more sick than not  :puke;

I would have a 9 hour recovery time, it felt like just as soon as I got to feeling better it was time to go back..... so frustrating  :stressed;

the best way that I described my headaches after treatments were a 'hollowed' out feeling insdie my head

once I switched to PD...... having Kidney failure is actually a tolerable disease now..... I almost feel human again.... if I have to have kidney failure PD is the way to have it  :2thumbsup;

CKD since: 1981
9.22.10: Catheter surgery
9.23.10: Started in center Hemo
10.06.10: Fistula surgery
12.02.10: Started using right upper arm Fistula (15 gauge)
12.30.10: Catheter Removed
07.01.11: Laparoscopic CAPD Catheter insertion
07.29.11: Started CAPD, 2000ml, 4 exchanges (Baxter)
08.15.11: Started filling with 1500ml (instead of 2000ml), 4 exchanges
08.21.11: Back to 2000ml fills, 4 exchanges (3-2.5% & 1-1.5%)
10.12.11: 2000ml fills, 4 exchanges (3 1.5% & 1-2.5% overnight)
11.08.11: Transplant list

Dialysis works for me, I don't work for dialysis!
It's my body, my health!!
bleija

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2011, 10:55:10 AM »

once I switched to PD...... having Kidney failure is actually a tolerable disease now..... I almost feel human again.... if I have to have kidney failure PD is the way to have it  :2thumbsup;

i agree one hundred percent, i found this out backwards from u, but PD is soo much better, and im trying so hard to go back, if my body/catheter would cooperate... but it will happen
tbarrett2533

Me licking my kidneys from my birthday kidney cake

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2011, 06:12:23 AM »

i agree one hundred percent, i found this out backwards from u, but PD is soo much better, and im trying so hard to go back, if my body/catheter would cooperate... but it will happen

I LOVE to read stuff like this  :2thumbsup; (knowing that I helped someone)  :clap;
I say if you are new to PD.......... just give your body some time............. hell its been almost 6 months for me and I am still gettig used to it....... PD is a better treatment option (for me) thats for sure  :2thumbsup;

I am so happy that I was able to have helped you  :yahoo;
yay for me  :yahoo; :yahoo;

CKD since: 1981
9.22.10: Catheter surgery
9.23.10: Started in center Hemo
10.06.10: Fistula surgery
12.02.10: Started using right upper arm Fistula (15 gauge)
12.30.10: Catheter Removed
07.01.11: Laparoscopic CAPD Catheter insertion
07.29.11: Started CAPD, 2000ml, 4 exchanges (Baxter)
08.15.11: Started filling with 1500ml (instead of 2000ml), 4 exchanges
08.21.11: Back to 2000ml fills, 4 exchanges (3-2.5% & 1-1.5%)
10.12.11: 2000ml fills, 4 exchanges (3 1.5% & 1-2.5% overnight)
11.08.11: Transplant list

Dialysis works for me, I don't work for dialysis!
It's my body, my health!!
bleija

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2011, 04:37:06 PM »

I LOVE to read stuff like this  :2thumbsup; (knowing that I helped someone)  :clap;
I say if you are new to PD.......... just give your body some time............. hell its been almost 6 months for me and I am still gettig used to it....... PD is a better treatment option (for me) thats for sure  :2thumbsup;

I am so happy that I was able to have helped you  :yahoo;
yay for me  :yahoo; :yahoo;

i was on PD for 2 years before my catheter colonized with an infection and i had to have it taken out, was not hjappy about it at all, i love PD well considering my other options... i am going to have a tenchoffogram to see whats going on, my nurse is suposed to let me knw
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »