I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 10:18:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Male Issues
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Male Issues  (Read 7504 times)
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2011, 02:52:31 AM »

pagandialysis, you did make us smile. Hope it is a thick blanket.
bleija

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2011, 08:02:06 AM »

idk, i was told the usually try the right side first thn if that doesnt work or theres issues they go with the left :rofl; but it makes my left boob look like theres something there, since ive lost weight, took it all from my boobs, eventhough there wasnt much there to begin with... its kinda funny, maybe not but to me it is...
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2011, 08:04:49 AM »

wow, I just didn't realize, I thought they were all on the same side of the chest LOL

I just remember it hurt terrible having mine put in, I was awake but with a local.

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2011, 01:30:48 PM »

Mine was on the right.. that's where the scar is anyway

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
bleija

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2011, 07:15:36 PM »

it was weird when they put mine in too, they gave me a light sedative, but i was too nervous about the whole procedure to fall asleep, so stayed awake. i felt the presssure when they were tunneling it, it was weird... after i dialized with it and pain killers wore off tht was the worst pain that i can remember... between tht and the abdominal surgery i had to remove my PD cath, i was hurting bad
Restorer

« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2011, 07:20:32 PM »

I've never asked about it, but I figured they usually tried to put the catheter on the right side because it was a straighter line through the veins to the heart. Going through the left jugular vein, it has to make more of a zig-zag to get to the heart.

I also had my PD cath on my right side, just because I had kidney surgery on my left side, so there was already a scar there.

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

3/2007Kidney failure diagnosed5/2010In-center hemodialysis
8/2008Peritoneal catheter placed1/2012Upper arm fistula created
9/2008Peritoneal catheter replaced3/2012Started using fistula
9/2008Began CAPD4/2012Buttonholes created
3/2009Switched to CCPD w/ Newton IQ cycler            4/2012HD catheter removed
7/2009Switched to Liberty cycler            4/2018Transplanted at UCLA!
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2011, 07:57:12 PM »

I've had two central lines put in. The first one didn't take so they had to do it all over again. My lumen failed, the first time. They used me as a guinea pig so to speak to "try" the new lumen. Guess they realized the screwed up-bad.   >:(   Anyways, I had a local for the first time, no sedative and I sure wished I had, I felt all the pressure. Yeah, my jugular is very obvious with my line tunneled through that, it sticks out really bad, sometimes depending on the kind of shirt I'm wearing, you can really see it sticking out above my neck line of my shirt.

The second time, I was much wiser and asked--actually BEGGED to be given a sedative. Both times I asked to be given a general and they refused. It went much better than the first time and all I can say is that I was laughing through it. Must have been the sedative LOL Oh, one of the nurses dropped an oxygen tank on the OR floor and it made a loud noise and I was laughing my butt off as they went to wheel me out. Amazing what a sedative will do LOL

When they told me they'd have to do it all over again I was very, very angry. I was just glad I breezed through the second time!!!

Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2011, 12:28:34 AM »

hmmmm cold dialysis girls with niblets and no bra... yeah, that gives me something to think about...  >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

About the adjustment issue this reminded me just today about a crazy patient we used to have from time to time when he was in the ward for some reason or other. When I say crazy I mean c-r-a-z-y as in not quite all there - and often in a very inappropriate way - for example, he's a Jewish guy who would yell out "Heil Hitler!" from time to time (umm... weird?!). He also used to out-do me in the women dept in that he would propose to ANY and ALL women who would come even near him "Will you marry me?" he'd ask?? Nurses, doctors, volunteers, passing visitors... you knew it was a bad day for him when he'd ask the males to marry him! There was one hilarious moment when one of the male nurses had enough and responded "don't make me sick!" but anyway..

so this guy was inappropriate well so there he is in his hospital gown, and yes that's right.. he never bothered with underwear! We often got way more of a view than ANY of us wanted. After awhile they used to put him in isolation - to save us from the view, let alone the propisitions!

omg !!   :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

And finally on the idea of saying "males only" or "male issues" getting more women visitors I have decided to start a new thread entitled "Super serious male only issue!!" and in it comment on my lack of a girlfriend. Think that might work out for me?!  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
bleija

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2011, 03:04:49 AM »

if that was all the super serious male issue was, id be very dissappointed....  :( lol   we like to see what u guys think are male issues
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2011, 05:45:25 AM »

Richard, us girls will still take a peek.
Iwannabean

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2011, 06:32:41 AM »

Wow.....Did this "male issues" get hijacked or what. :rofl; Come on Ladies, start a new thread on female problems so we can hijack that one.

Iwannabean :2thumbsup;
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2011, 09:31:25 AM »

LMAO!    :rofl;     :rofl;   This thread is like the enegizer bunny, it just keeps goin' and goin'     ;D    :P

rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2011, 11:23:34 AM »

I remember at dialysis I had this sweet older guy probably in his 70s and had Alzheimer's, say the most hilarious things to me.

"I'm every mans' nightmare and every womans' dream."

"You couldn't handle this girl."

"Girl you look so good I almost jumped right out of this chair!! Look at my BP!"

Then he would continue showing Aaron his muscles and ask us the same questions 20 times....aw I miss my Staney....

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2011, 04:11:40 PM »

it was weird when they put mine in too, they gave me a light sedative, but i was too nervous about the whole procedure to fall asleep, so stayed awake. i felt the presssure when they were tunneling it, it was weird... after i dialized with it and pain killers wore off tht was the worst pain that i can remember... between tht and the abdominal surgery i had to remove my PD cath, i was hurting bad

That's what happened to me.  The radiologist gave me something, then asked me if I was relaxed.  I said no.  He said, "well, lets give you another shot, then"  I don't remember much after that, except for the vague recollection of signing the consent form to have my PD tube removed.

As for females in a thread about "male issues," I doubt that if there was a thread called "female issues," many fellas would be taking a peek..

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Iwannabean

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2011, 08:55:06 AM »

Hey Riki, I would be the first one to "peek" at a womens only issue :shy;, in some way we are all voyeurs.

Iwannabean
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2011, 09:20:11 AM »

:rofl;     :rofl;     :rofl;   I know there's been a few females only threads from time to time here    :shy;

BTW, this thread is making me laugh everytime I come here     :rofl;  It's my daily dose of laughter, that's why I keep comin' back for more!        :rofl;      :rofl;
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 09:21:16 AM by Cordelia » Logged

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2011, 06:56:35 PM »

LMAO!    :rofl;     :rofl;   This thread is like the enegizer bunny, it just keeps goin' and goin'     ;D    :P

Sweetie that's just the prednisolone surging through my system. You should see what else it does to me!!!!  >:D :rofl;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2011, 02:51:45 AM »

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2011, 04:15:44 AM »

Sweetie that's just the prednisolone surging through my system. You should see what else it does to me!!!!  >:D :rofl;

ROTFLMAO! Richard!     :rofl;     :rofl;      :rofl;   

Iwannabean

« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2011, 05:07:12 AM »

I hope that you did'nt have the same Doctor as Michael Jackson Richard :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

Iwannabean
pagandialysis

« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2011, 04:43:04 PM »

I hope that you did'nt have the same Doctor as Michael Jackson Richard :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

Iwannabean

I still think they railroaded that guy because they were angry Michael Jackson died.

Dining on Dialysis - www.diningondialysis.com
-------------------------------------------------------------
Kidney Transplant (December 31, 2014),
Dialysis-Hemo (Started May 17, 2011. Ended December 29, 2014),
AV Fistula #2 (This one is a Basilic Transposition),
CKD (IgA Nephropathy) Stage 5,
Hypertension (Under Control)
bleija

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2011, 04:02:26 PM »

male issues to michael jackson...
i think the doc  got caught up in the money, either give michael jackson what he wanted or get replaced... i think it just went too far...
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2011, 06:55:10 PM »

If you've got big ones it might mean you have heart failure.  That's how I "discovered" my heart failure about eight years ago. 
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2011, 08:58:36 PM »

Well, i still have a pd catheter until it gets removed in a few weeks.  I  don't tape it and it's always straying where it shouldn't do.  regardless of where I am I always shove my hand and adjust it.  Past caring what people think, cos I hate being uncomfortable

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
pagandialysis

« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2011, 10:34:15 PM »

...and this thread is STILL going.....what have I created?

Dining on Dialysis - www.diningondialysis.com
-------------------------------------------------------------
Kidney Transplant (December 31, 2014),
Dialysis-Hemo (Started May 17, 2011. Ended December 29, 2014),
AV Fistula #2 (This one is a Basilic Transposition),
CKD (IgA Nephropathy) Stage 5,
Hypertension (Under Control)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »