I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 09:45:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  End-of-Life documents
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: End-of-Life documents  (Read 2245 times)
Deanne
Elite Member

« on: October 28, 2011, 03:33:27 PM »

We have a legal service thing we can purchase as a benefit at work. It's $20/month. I'd like to get my end-of-life documents put into place, just in case..... Has anyone had them all prepared? Is $20/month for a year worth it?

I'll need a will, medical power of attorney, and I don't know what else, if anything. My will need to account for a house, retirement account and life insurance from work, and a way to make sure my cats & dogs are cared for. I was thinking about having the will state that x-amount for each pet would be deposited on account at the vet of the new pet owner's choice for their continued medical expenses.

Any advice?

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 04:19:20 PM »

Deanne,

We had this done about a year ago and it cost us about $1400. We own a business so ours was a bit more complicated than is would be for most folks. Plus the lawyer helped us arrange our assets so the the surviving spouse would not have to pay taxes on the money.

If you are putting aside money for any pets, be careful not to name or number the animals so that any change in your "family" will not necessitate a codicil.

Have you thought about who you want to have medical power of attorney? This should be considered carefully. You should also have a "living will" that outlines your medical wishes. Your POA should have a copy of that, too.

Are there any charities that you want to leave $ to? If so, it is better to leave a percentage instead of a flat amount.

Doing this was such a relief for us. It made us look at so many contingencies that we had not considered. We went so far as to consider that all of us...me, my husband, our daughter and her husband, might expire in one awful accident. How would we provide for the grandchildren? And WHO would handle the funds.

So, I do think that legal counsel is valuable. On the other hand, you want to be assured that the service being provided will truly represent YOU.

Good luck with this.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 04:35:05 PM »

When my husband was in hospital for 77days, the case worker brought all the papers we needed to the room and we signed everything needed.  We don't have much in assets but home and furnishings and live insurance.  So we got POA a Will and it was no charge for either.

lmunchkin
 :kickstart;

Also a living Will too!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 04:36:11 PM by lmunchkin » Logged

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
lmunchkin
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 04:38:25 PM »

Sorry, correction there, it was a POA and a living Will.  My mother before she died, typed up our Wills as she was a legal secretary back in 1997.

willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 04:41:48 PM »

Yes, you can get POA and living will documents at the hospital and filling them out doesn't need an attorney.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
lmunchkin
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 04:49:14 PM »

But it does require a notary of public, which the case worker was one and witnessed our signatures.  But I would not recommend going into Hospital for that.  It was a gruesome time for us both!  Yek, I hate even thinking about it!

lmunchkin
 :kickstart;

jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 07:27:05 PM »

You need a will, a power of attorney for the financial stuff, a living will, and a medical power of attorney. I got them all done with a lawyer for about $200 but I have few assets. The price will depend on how complicated your assets are and how complicated your wishes are. If it's too complicated you want to make sure you get an estate lawyer and not one who just does a little of everything.
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 11:24:50 AM »

my parents have a living trust. the original trustees were my mother and father, now it's my mother, and sister and one day it will be my sister and i. my sister was listed as first alternate because she lives in the same town. everything my parents own is in the trust, the house, the bank accounts, the car, all insurance and ira's etc. because my sister and i already "own" everything, as trustees we could sell the house, divide the money and not tell anyone. the only taxes would be on money we take from investments and as long as i would keep my  "income" under 25,000 that means no taxes. this was all done by a lawyer and estate planner and i wouldn't suggest it be attempted any other way. but when my dad passed away in august it sure made things really simple. when i got sick it was $600 to rewrite the trust pertaining to me to put my share of things into a sub trust (as good a word as any) so i wouldn't loose any government subsidies i get now.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »