I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 01:15:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Kidney Transplant and a Cold.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kidney Transplant and a Cold.  (Read 9763 times)
LarryG

Grateful to my donor, I feel great!.

« on: October 17, 2011, 10:12:43 PM »

In a week I have a kidney biopsy. I have caught a cold. The first one since my kidney transplant. What should I take as a cold remedy?

LWG
Diagnosed ESRD Jan 2008
Wegener's granulomatosis
Uncontrollable Hypertension
AV Fistula inserted Jan 2 2009
Transplant waiting list University Illinois Chicago Division of Transplant.
Angioplasty and Coil placement to limit Blood Flow from Fistula Jan. 18 2011
Transplant by living donor March 28 2011
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 10:15:15 PM »

I DON'T BELIEVE IT.  YOU HAVE CAUGHT RERUN'S COLD....ME TOO, AND I AM MISERABLE.  LET'S ALL BLAME RERUN! :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

I'm sorry, but I don't even know how to treat my own cold, much less that of a transplant patient. :cuddle;  Does your lovely wife have a cold, too.

Oh, wait a sec...I just remembered....YOU WERE ON THE SAME LV/CHICAGO UNITED FLIGHT AS ME!  LET'S ALL BLAME UNITED AIRLINES, NOW MERGED WITH CONTINENTAL!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 11:36:35 PM »

In a week I have a kidney biopsy. I have caught a cold. The first one since my kidney transplant. What should I take as a cold remedy?

Aww another person with a cold! Very suspicious.  >:D Were you all kissing when I wasn't around??

I think cold's have to just run their course but rest, fluids and take whatever is needed to be comfortable, like tylenol or benadryl. If you're worse (chest cough or bad congestion, I hope not) by the time you're supposed to have the biopsy you can postpone it.
I hope you feel better soon.  :cuddle;
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 11:37:42 PM by okarol » Logged

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Marina

God Bless my donor family!! :)

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 11:53:39 PM »

Hope you're  feeling  better  by  now!!!!

I  thought  I  had  a cold  2  months  post-TX.            I  was  so  worried,  I  called  TX  center  right  away.

I  was  told I  could  take  Tylenol  but  to  read  ingredients  carefully  because  some  Tylenol  cold  medicine  contains  ibuprofen  which  I  NEED    to  avoid.     I was  told I  could  also  take   robitussin  or   mucinex,  but  again  to  check  ingredients  and/or  pharmacist  if  that  product  was  kidney  friendly.    If  in  doubt  always  call    coordinator  back.

Although  I  was   reminded  that  I   had  a fever  or  had  upper respiratory   distress  to  call them  back  right  away  or  go  see  PCP.

"Anything is possible, if  you  BELIEVE....."  ~~~Joel  Osteen

"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift..... That is why it is called the present"

Nov 1979 ~ Diabetes 
Apr. 2004- Nov 2010 ~ CAPD
Nov 9, 2010 ~  Received the  THE  GIFT OF LIFE at 
California Pacific  Medical  center  (CPMC)  in San  Francisco,  CA
LarryG

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 07:23:55 AM »

After a rough night I am feeling a little better. I ate a bunch of Hall lozenges to help the throat and the congestion. My wife did catch something that she blames on the flight from Las Vegas so I am blaming her. I think I will let it run its course and if I feel bad by the time of the biopsy I will cancel. Thanks for your input and I hope you all feel better too.

LWG
Diagnosed ESRD Jan 2008
Wegener's granulomatosis
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 07:40:37 AM »

After a rough night I am feeling a little better. I ate a bunch of Hall lozenges to help the throat and the congestion. My wife did catch something that she blames on the flight from Las Vegas so I am blaming her. I think I will let it run its course and if I feel bad by the time of the biopsy I will cancel. Thanks for your input and I hope you all feel better too.

Tell her I said hello and that I'm sorry she is ill, too.  I'm bloody miserable, so I will probably spend all day on the computer, whining, so I warn you all now. :P  I overdid it with the housework yesterday, and today I am paying for it.

I agree...if you are still unwell by the time of the biopsy, do cancel and reschedule.  Your new kidney's not going anywhere.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 05:00:14 PM »

Sorry to hear about everyone's colds.  How miserable!   It had to be the flight!!  I  was around Rerun everyday; even got to say goodbye to her Sunday morning.  And with a transplant immune system, you would think I would have got something.   Nothing --- not a sniffle.   So I say blame it on the plane!! 

MooseMom, Janet and Larry - I do hope you all feel better fast.  I bet you all feel worn out and drained.   :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
LarryG

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 11:46:34 AM »

So the cold is a little better but now a slight fever. University of Illinois Chicago Medical Center called to verify time and date of biopsy and they decided to do it on Weds of next week rather than Monday to give me more time to recover.

LWG
Diagnosed ESRD Jan 2008
Wegener's granulomatosis
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 11:48:30 AM »

Larry, per-transplant my husband rarely got colds. He got one post transplant and it took him over 5 weeks to get over it.

:thumbdown;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
LarryG

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 12:14:21 PM »

Aleta, I don't remember too many bad colds when I was doing dialysis. Not as bad as this one. Got to figure with the depleted immune system it is you are more likely to catch a cold and it is harder to get rid of.

LWG
Diagnosed ESRD Jan 2008
Wegener's granulomatosis
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 01:38:01 PM »

Aleta, I don't remember too many bad colds when I was doing dialysis. Not as bad as this one. Got to figure with the depleted immune system it is you are more likely to catch a cold and it is harder to get rid of.

People like me with severe CKD have compromised immune systems, but I doubt mine is as compromised as yours.  So I don't know if this will make you feel any better, but this cold is wretched.  Day before yesterday, I spent the day in bed.  Yesterday was a bit better, but I got feverish and today again I've spend most of it in bed.  I haven't even unpacked yet from Vegas.  I've been really sick, so I'm wondering if on top of your depleted immune system, this virus is particularly nasty.

I hope you feel better soon.

cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 02:01:18 PM »

Gwyn and I both had some little cold or something upon our return from Vegas, but it is nothing like you all are describing. There was no way it was from Rerun, I barely got a chance to introduce myself to her she was so nervous about passing along her cold. Have you all had your flu vax? I had mine well before I went to Vegas. The symptoms some are describing, especially fever, sound more like a flu.

Gwyn and I both had sore throats that were not helped by drinking. That only lasted maybe a day, and did not interfere with any of our usual activities. I had a bit of sniffling, and sneeze attacks that could just as easily be allergies. No complaints from me, and you're off the hook, Rerun! Feel better my IHD friends.

I like Tynelol Cold and Flu or Theraflu for OTC remedies.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
olivia

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 03:56:12 PM »

If I had a fever and your symptoms I would call my transplant center right away. Could be cmv. Or just a cold. Even if it is the flu, it's my understanding that the flu could be dangerous to us transpant patients. I wouldn't try to guess what it could be, better to  be safe and know for sure.
Feel better real soon! 

Olivia :flower;
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »