I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2024, 06:53:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Wish Me Luck
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wish Me Luck  (Read 4788 times)
Cordelia
Elite Member

« on: October 03, 2011, 03:07:53 PM »

Please wish me luck everyone, I just got the date for my appointment (Fri. Oct. 28) to see my fitsula surgeon to hopefully decide which arm I'll be getting the surgery in. I have a shoulder injury in my one arm and am pretty limited to where I can have this thing put in so I'm pretty nervous about this appointment. I have issues having a bp cuff going on my one arm due to chronic pain so we'll see how this appointment goes.........

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 03:09:39 PM »

I know this is such an enormous step.  Believe me, I understand entirely.   :cuddle;

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
mcclane

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 03:18:07 PM »

best wishes cordelia !  Keep us update on how it goes.
Traveller1947

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 05:00:44 PM »

Best of luck to you, cordelia!
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 05:15:37 PM »

Best wishes, and they put the BP cuff on my left calf (leg) so see if they can do that.  They also have wrist bp cuffs.  More than one way to skin a cat.

:flower;

Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 08:55:00 AM »

Thank you, everyone!   :grouphug; 

And, thank you so very much Rerun for the mention of the bp cuff measuremants on the leg. I completely forgot they did that once on me at the main unit before I moved to the satellite unit.

I asked this morning to my nurse about that option and she said that it can be done, they prefer the arm but if it cannot be done on the arm at all then they would do it on the leg.   :bandance;

I felt such an enormous wave of relief once she said that to me this morning, so thank you again so much for that advice!   :clap;    :cuddle; to you!

Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 05:23:34 AM »

Well, today's the day. I'm leaving shortly for my consult.    Wish me luck. I"m really hoping this surgeon can find a good vein on me    :P      :bow;

Desert Dancer

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 06:36:04 AM »

Good luck, Cordelia! We'll be thinking of you - make sure you let us know what the surgeon says.

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 06:37:50 AM »

Good luck, Cordelia. We don't want this visit to be in "vein."  :clap;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 09:29:50 AM »

:cuddle;

thinking of you...

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 03:15:59 PM »

Thanks so much, DD, WT and Rsudock!     :grouphug;

Well, I decided to take the plunge LOL

Surgery will be Nov. 28......on my left arm, so I'm good with that. I was going to wait till January, after the rush of Christmas and holidays, etc, but decided just "to do it and be done with it" kind of attitude. Now that I've made up my mind once and for all, I'm phyched. I'm pumped LOL Still nervous and scared, but I'm ready LOL

I was given a small ball to start exercising my hand with, as the surgery will be on the 'lower' part at the wrist, so he's planning at this point.....

So I'm having fun telling everyone that I'm having FUN playing with the balls! LMAO!    :rofl;     :rofl;      :rofl;   I laughed and told my hubby this and he just laughed and said, "Ooooh, that's a good one!" LOL   

Hey, I figure why not have a sense of humor about it, maybe it won't seem so bad then LOL   ;)      ;D

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 03:21:27 PM »

This is great news, and I'm really glad that you decided not to wait until January.  You would have had this "thing" hanging over your head over all of the holidays, and that would have spoiled them.  This way you get it over and done with.  I am sure that once it is all over, you will feel immense relief. :cuddle;

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 03:25:51 PM »

Thanks, MM!    :cuddle;   I was kinda thinking that too, it would have been hanging over my head and you're right, I think it would have put a damper on my enjoying the holidays, the wondering, the anticipating and the worry alone, so this way, it'll be done and out of the way!

So the vein is medium sized, is what my surgeon told me, its not huge, but its doable, meaning its not too small. I was really relieved when he said that!   :thumbup;

mcclane

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 03:29:44 PM »

good to hear cordelia, by the time christmas rolls around, the fistula may not be matured yet but the area will be fully healed. 

Glad they can do it on the lower wrist area, much easier to get to than the bicep area.
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 05:08:47 PM »

That's a good decision on your part to get this done before the Holidays!  Im already stressing over them now.  DH had his in the wrist area too.  It was 2years in Sept (I think) that his was done, and it now goes from wrist to almost his elbow.  It is thick and long and works "Beautifully".

Glad you are going to do this and let us know!

lmunchkin
 :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2011, 07:08:23 PM »

Sounds perfect :) and it's said thats the best place so your starting off great..  proceThats where hubbys is and im glad as it's easier for me to get to..hehe  I'll be glad for ya when it's just done and on its way.  I realize i wasnt the one getting it, but i was sure glad when it was done.. Seemed to be a pretty simple procedure so hope yours as just as smooth ..

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2011, 08:37:05 AM »

I'm the same boat.  I  get a fistula soon, but the needles creep me out.  But I don't want an infection from my catheter either.  I see a vascular surgeon next week.  I'm just going to have to tough this out.  Good luck with yours.  My wife is a cardiac nurse, and she says they usually try to start you off at the wrist.  They move around to other areas later.  My wife just got a "Above and Beyond" award from her hospital.   If it makes you feel better, I also get a butt exam next month, so, compared to me, you have it easy!   :sir ken;
ToddB0130

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2011, 08:52:28 AM »

My fistula is a bit over a week old.  Seems to be purring nicely.  You'll be fine.  The wait and anticipation were the most stressful thing.  I hope you have a better vascular surgeon than I did.  Mine had NO bedside manner at all.  Barely said anything to me before or after the surgery.  When I called and made my follow up appointment,  I complained to the girl on the phone and she connected me directly to him.  Then I was able to ask some additional questions about follow up care, etc.  Hopefully when it's my time to start D,  my experiences with the in center workers will be better.  Best of luck with your fistula !!

No day but today
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2011, 06:10:37 AM »

Thanks, everyone!    :grouphug;   I'm really hoping my surgeon can do this on the wrist. He told me if it doesn't look promising on that day then he'll travel up the arm. I'm a little scared of nerve damage. I have injury to my other arm from nerve damage and that can be very troublesome. I'm hoping to God, my hand doesn't costantly tingle and go numb, (one of my biggest fears to have permanent nerve damage)  Oh God, I'm   :bow; praying.   I had nerve damage to my other arm last year and I had to take percocet for 2 months for the pain    ::)

Good luck with yours, too, Whamo! I hear ya, I'm a little phobic of needles too, but I know I have to do this. I like the cath for the reason there's no stabbing of needles involved LOL
Congrats to your wife on her award!    :thumbup;  Good luck on your butt exam too, those can never be pleasant, I had one once for hemorrhoids and I hated it    :puke;     :sir ken;

I gotta be at the hospital at the butt crack of dawn, 6 am on that day for surgery.    :P
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 06:12:31 AM by Cordelia » Logged

lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2011, 10:59:49 AM »

I will be praying that God be with the surgeon as he does his work!  You are going to do fine, Cordelia!  Let us know!

Thinking of you,
lmunchkin
 :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2011, 08:49:32 AM »

Thank you so much, lmunchkin!    :2thumbsup;    Thanks so much!   :grouphug;

mcclane

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2011, 10:55:01 AM »

best wishes cordelia, weird as it may seem, but I rather take the 6 am surgery, at least then you can get it over with quickly.
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2011, 12:47:53 PM »

Hi Mcclane, thanks so much for your best wishes, also!     :waving;    My surgery is actually 8 am, but I'm to be there for 6 am, I guess it's all pre-op stuff, admission, etc I think.    :)

I have to have an EKG done prior to the surgery so I'm going to ask at my unit tomorrow, I think they can do that in-house, so I don't have to go anywhere else for it!   :thumbup;  I'm really glad because then I know, rest-assured, the results will be forwarded with much less risk of getting lost   :thumbup;
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 12:53:33 PM by Cordelia » Logged

ToddB0130

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2011, 01:26:39 PM »

If your surgery is at 8AM,  you should be all done by 10AM ... that's exactly how my schedule ran too (in at 6AM,  surgery somewhere between 7:30 and 8:00).   Afterwards,  they had me stay for another hour or so to be sure I was okay with my anesthia.

Easy Peasy .... YOURS WILL BE TOO.

And mine keeps a'purring (and I hope I don't need to use it anytime soon !)

No day but today
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2011, 02:56:45 PM »

Yep, they'll need a couple of hours for the paperwork and the pre-op stuff.  The anesthesiologist will probably have a last word with you, too, just to make sure you know what will be happening.  And the surgeon may come by, also.  And there are other patients being prepared for surgery, too.  I used to volunteer at our local hospital in the day surgery department, so by the time I became a patient, I already had a pretty good idea of what went on.  Just relax (if possible) and be patient and let the docs and nurses do their thing.  You'll be fine. :cuddle;

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »