I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:32:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Working while on Dialysis
| | |-+  Getting Back to work
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Getting Back to work  (Read 4702 times)
stuman413

Have been an on and off dialysis for 15 years

« on: September 29, 2011, 10:04:01 PM »

Hey everyone,

I've been on dialysis for about two years now (this is the second time around after four years on the machine and a transplant for six years).  I've been mulling over how I can get back to work.   During my time with a transplant, I pursued a career in the computer tech industry.  But with the economy on the downturn, I'm forced to reconcile with the fact that this path may not be the most fruitful. 

I am hoping that someone could give me suggestions for a career that would allow me to use the skills I've developed and merge that into something useful.  My first choice would be programming.  I've always enjoyed dabbling with programming but never pursued it as a career.

I am working with the department of rehabilitation in my local state office to start the process of going back to school, and getting on the path to a new career. 

Any suggestions would be great!  Thanks

-Born in !975 with blockage on bladder
-Doctors do not realize this fact until 8 days after I'm born
-Perform surgery to pull ureters out my back so I can pee (called a eurethrarostomy)
-At 3 years of age the doctors fix the bladder and return my anatomy to normal
-23 years old I have pain in my chest/cannot breath, rushed to hospital, find that my kidneys have failed
-March 1999 - first dialysis in hospital
-January 2003   Living donor transplant from cousin
-April 2009  kidney fails  back on dialysis - present 4x per week
-January 2013 - started nocturnal dialysis 3x week for 6 hours per treatment
-April 2013 - Nocturnal shift is discontinued, treatments reduced to 5 hrs apiece
July 3 2016 Received 2nd transplant from cadaver doner
Two years post transplant doing fantastic so far
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 06:00:35 PM »

I admire the fact that you want to work!  So many would like too, but just don't have the energy anymore. My husband was diagnosed in 2004 and worked till Jan of this year.  I was so proud of his efforts cause I know there were days he just did not want to get out of bed, but pushed himself to. He wasnt looking for a job cause he was working at the time.  After ESRD, his job gave him an office of his own where he could sit and work on PC. He loved it, cause he could do PD in his office when he was doing manuals.  They all knew of his health and really did go out of their way to help! Fine bunch of individuals!  But he just gave it up in Jan. and I really believe he hated to, but had no other choice. He is twice your age though.  You were born the same year my daughter was born. Lord Im old!

Don't have any suggestions, but I would try to get a job working from home.  That would be ideal!

Good luck in your search!
lmunchkin

:kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
Sax-O-Trix

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 07:44:30 PM »

My late husband was a Network/Systems Analyst for a National Bank when he passed away unexpectedly in 1999.  Before that, he had worked for a government subcontractor and was a lead engineer for installing the computer networks for NATO back in the 1990's.  He loved his job, but always said the big money (over $100K seemed to be the average salary back then) was in programming.  The few programmers I still know from back then are doing extremely well. 

Our school districts and regional educational institutions seem to be hiring techs and network support staff all the time.  Perhaps this would be a good place to start looking?

Preemptive transplant recipient, living donor (brother)- March 2011
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 08:01:03 PM »

I do customer service type work, suites me fine for my condition.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
mcclane

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 03:49:43 PM »

during my 10+ years of sucky health issues, which includes dialysis, a failed transplant, i never gave up my FT job.  However, the places I did work at allowed sick leave/appointment time, so that helped.

I worked as a programmer for a few years, and now I am still in the IT industry but more as a security analyst.

I've worked in the IT industry for a long time, and all I can say is if my health and dialysis didn't hold me back, i would give up on the IT industry for good.  It is a very finicky and picky industry.  I find if you do not know a specific tool/language, it really doesn't matter if you have years of experience, employers are not willing to train someone to learn the latest programming language or tool.  You basically have to know the tool or most employers will not even look at you.

I'd love to get into automotives, as everyone has a car and eventually it will require maintenance.  Due to dialysis, I am unable to get the training I need to fulfill this.

I hope what I mentioned doesn't make you think twice regarding your career, if you do have a passion for programming, go for it.  This is just what i've experienced over the years.
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 03:58:28 PM »

If you do decide to get into programming, I would definitely pursue whatever you would need in order to be able to program mobile apps.  I have been in IT for a little over 20 years now and we are being told that from now on, all of our new applications that our department develops will need to be able to be used on a mobile platform. 

IT security would also likely be an good field - more mobile devices, more security issues.

Personally, I am working full time and training for ITIL certification.  Because I want to stay on the support side of the IT house, ITIL certification is what's up and coming for us.  More prevelant in the UK now that here in the States, but I see that changing in the future.
mcclane

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 04:04:31 PM »

If you do decide to get into programming, I would definitely pursue whatever you would need in order to be able to program mobile apps.  I have been in IT for a little over 20 years now and we are being told that from now on, all of our new applications that our department develops will need to be able to be used on a mobile platform. 

IT security would also likely be an good field - more mobile devices, more security issues.

Personally, I am working full time and training for ITIL certification.  Because I want to stay on the support side of the IT house, ITIL certification is what's up and coming for us.  More prevelant in the UK now that here in the States, but I see that changing in the future.

work paid for the itil v3 foundations course, which many folks in our it dept took.  It was like a 3 day, 8 hour course.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »