I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 14, 2024, 01:26:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  Starting PD on tonight
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Starting PD on tonight  (Read 3321 times)
J-D

« on: September 28, 2011, 08:19:22 PM »

Hi everyone,
After 1 week long of PD training, tonight is my ever first PD. I got an old machine from the PD clinic, am I not suppose to have a brand new one ???
Also my supplies came in late, I should have started yesterday but the supplies did not come as scheduled so I have to postpone until today...

I am currently on the second exchange as I am typing this. First drain at the very last drips was really horribly painful!  :o When I was training, I had minor drain pain but not this bad! I had to hold my breath everytime and the moment it went to fill again, the pain was gone. Whew! :2thumbsup;

I am doing 900 mls, 6 exchanges with 1 hr 8 min dwell time for 8 hours. I am starting at 1.5% solution (I am quite a lil' individual at 4'10", no edema, and creatiniine of 610 mmol/l as of last lab).

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 08:21:30 PM »

I know absolutely nothng about PD, so I can't give you much advice, but I sure do hope that things go very well for you now that you've finished your training.  Let us know how it goes, OK?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 09:16:38 PM »

Hey J.D. Im a little munchkin too!  Husband did PD for 5 yrs and had to stop due to peritonitis.  No regrets though, cause it was a good modality for him.  Just be sure to be sanitary with everything, especially with cath site.  Its been awhile for us, but there are others on this site that are doing it and doing it well.  Im sure they will chime in here soon!

Good luck, and keep up the good work!  It is nice to be at home, isnt it?

lmunchkin

:kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
Marina

God Bless my donor family!! :)

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 10:08:33 PM »

Hi  J-D,

I  never  did  CCPD,  I however  did  CAPD   ( 4  manual exchanges during the  day)  for  6½ yrs  successfully.

As  far  as the pain  goes, I  know it  happens  to some  CAPD  patients as well  while   draining.
The  reason  for this  is that  the  tip of the  cath is hitting  the  peritoneum  wall.
One  way  to  try  to  alleviate this  problem is  by  switching positions,  I  have  often  heard this  helps.

Good  luck,  and please  do  not  forget to  wear your  mask  when  connecting  and  disconnecting.
Also wash  hands   or  sanitize  them.   

Take  care!  :)

Marina

"Anything is possible, if  you  BELIEVE....."  ~~~Joel  Osteen

"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift..... That is why it is called the present"

Nov 1979 ~ Diabetes 
Apr. 2004- Nov 2010 ~ CAPD
Nov 9, 2010 ~  Received the  THE  GIFT OF LIFE at 
California Pacific  Medical  center  (CPMC)  in San  Francisco,  CA
Atooraya

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 04:31:56 AM »

Hi J-D
just wanted to wish u the best of luck. The drain pain u mentioned will eventually go away. If you have a Baxter machine, ask your nurse to program it in" tidal" mode. For 80% drain. The nurse will know what that means. It will help with the drain pain. Also with baxter, it's normal to get a refurbished unit. Hope everything goes well for you.
mcclane

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 08:52:26 AM »

best wishes !

I did manual pd, then decided on the cycler. 

sounds like you're doing manual exchanges ?  Wow, 6 exchanges a day.  I did 4 (manual)
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 11:25:28 AM »

Hi J-D, and  :welcomesign; Hope you enjoy it here.
I too, am on PD - 5 exchanges a night with 1:20 dwells. I can relate to the end of drain pain. Marina has the most common reason for correct, the cath is up against your peritoneum. I find if I get up and do what I call the 'PD Shuffle', wiggle around, bounce a bit, shake your booty, it moves the cath and the pain lessens or goes away. You may need to do this while you're pinching off the line so you break the suction.

As for your machine, I know mine came from Baxter but it certainly does not look brand new. I know they have the new software version in it, but I have the impression it was a re-furb.

HTH and good luck!

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
J-D

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 01:54:39 PM »

Thank you guys for all your feedback! The second night, I was able to sleep thru it. No drainpain!  :bandance;.
Yes, I was doing 6 exchanges. Is that too many? My creatinine is not too high and no edema yet but yeah, I too think it is too much? But with just 900 ml each time, maybe that's what I really need.

For the two nights, my UF averaged 400 mls. Not too bad, eh? As I said, I don't have edema so I think this is just standard.

mcclane

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 01:59:14 PM »

Thank you guys for all your feedback! The second night, I was able to sleep thru it. No drainpain!  :bandance;.
Yes, I was doing 6 exchanges. Is that too many? My creatinine is not too high and no edema yet but yeah, I too think it is too much? But with just 900 ml each time, maybe that's what I really need.

For the two nights, my UF averaged 400 mls. Not too bad, eh? As I said, I don't have edema so I think this is just standard.

Each person is different.  Wow, 900 ml fills, that is great !  I had to do 2L fills.
J-D

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 02:07:46 PM »

Yep, mclane, I tried IL before but I really had shortness of breath and so full after that I felt I was pregnant again so they reduced it to 900 ml.  :)
I have done yet any PET test so far. How soon can the test be ordered after?
J-D

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 02:08:45 PM »

opps that should read "not done" yet
mcclane

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 02:12:47 PM »

Yep, mclane, I tried IL before but I really had shortness of breath and so full after that I felt I was pregnant again so they reduced it to 900 ml.  :)
I have done yet any PET test so far. How soon can the test be ordered after?

oh man, I would've given my front teeth for a 1L fill.  2L made my gut area stick out big time.

My hospital usually ordered PET tests every 3 months.  It was not fun, I had to haul about 10L of fluid down to the hospital.
tbarrett2533

Me licking my kidneys from my birthday kidney cake

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 01:37:22 PM »

I hope things go really well for you!!
I actually LOVE PD and am hoping to continue right on up to transplant!!!!!!!!!
Best of luck to you!!!!

CKD since: 1981
9.22.10: Catheter surgery
9.23.10: Started in center Hemo
10.06.10: Fistula surgery
12.02.10: Started using right upper arm Fistula (15 gauge)
12.30.10: Catheter Removed
07.01.11: Laparoscopic CAPD Catheter insertion
07.29.11: Started CAPD, 2000ml, 4 exchanges (Baxter)
08.15.11: Started filling with 1500ml (instead of 2000ml), 4 exchanges
08.21.11: Back to 2000ml fills, 4 exchanges (3-2.5% & 1-1.5%)
10.12.11: 2000ml fills, 4 exchanges (3 1.5% & 1-2.5% overnight)
11.08.11: Transplant list

Dialysis works for me, I don't work for dialysis!
It's my body, my health!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »