I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 06:24:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Very upset
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Very upset  (Read 5120 times)
YLGuy
Elite Member

« on: September 23, 2011, 02:46:42 PM »

For the SECOND time they dumped a whole bag into me during dialysis! When the nurse pushed my meds she did not clamp it tight enough.  I should have left at 82.8 instead I left at 83.8.  Being a Friday makes it so much worse.  I am really pissed off.
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 03:48:25 PM »

Sorry to hear that.....  with the weekend....guess you better not drink much....and next time watch those people.....sounds like they need to be watched....just think if it had been something else besides saline......

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 03:50:13 PM »

That's awful and ridiculous too!   :Kit n Stik;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 04:13:59 PM »

:banghead; :banghead;

OH, Marc.  :thumbdown; :thumbdown;

This is NOT GOOD! Argh!

I'm so sorry.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 04:20:07 PM »

:grouphug;

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

kamar55

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 04:27:14 PM »

I remember the time I left weighing more than I did when I came in (the tech must have mixed the numbers). I had a fit !!!!    >:( >:( >:(

Want unconditional love? Want a friend for life? Adopt an animal from your local shelter. It's a win, win situation!!
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 07:43:13 PM »

Ylguy, Im pissed for you! Where do they get these people?

lmunch

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 07:48:03 PM »

We had a guy that left hier then his dry wait and he refused to leave til they did something about it.
I don't know what it is with nurses not clamping the lines tight enough, I've had the nurses not do that during take off and blood and saline spills all over me.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 12:30:57 AM »

Morons!!!! Why do they do this kind of work if they dont want to do it right!!!

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Dannyboy

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 05:51:16 AM »

Good grief.   Crappy work, incompetence.  Outrageous.
Sorry you're having to deal with this staff screw-up.

:thumbdown;
---Dan

ESRD Summer 2011
Started using NxStage September, 2011
"Everything is funny as long as it is happening to Somebody Else"--Will Rogers

Alcoa and Reynolds are in a bidding war to buy my serum Aluminum.
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 06:08:45 AM »

Been on my mind these last couple days... Just checking on ya... Hope your doing ok   :grouphug;

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 06:51:29 AM »

...a thought popped in my head on this one...make yourself a hat with the title "quality assurance" on it and carry a clipboard in with you.  Act mysterious and make little notes on the clipboard through-out the session.  Maybe they'll get the point (or maybe not but at least you might have some fun with it)   :rofl;     I know that everyone makes mistakes but when it's affecting your LIFE, it's tough to look over! 

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 08:22:23 AM »

Halloween is coming up. I might have to do something like that.  I have dressed up like one of the staff and made fun of them the last couple of years. 
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 10:18:58 AM »

...a thought popped in my head on this one...make yourself a hat with the title "quality assurance" on it and carry a clipboard in with you.  Act mysterious and make little notes on the clipboard through-out the session.  Maybe they'll get the point (or maybe not but at least you might have some fun with it)   :rofl;     I know that everyone makes mistakes but when it's affecting your LIFE, it's tough to look over! 

Great idea but maybe call yourself a Medicare Conditions for Coverage Surveyor and have the actual Conditions for Coverage printed out on that clipboard. There are such things; it wouldn't hurt to remind the staff.

I think what happened was probably not reported or recorded, but it should have been. One problem with the way dialysis is given incenter is that there is not, what anyone from outside dialysis would understand to be, a Continuous Quality Improvement program. Ideally what should happen after something like this is that the staff person should have to accurately describe how it happened, acknowledge and identify where/how the mistake was made so that it is less likely to be made again. That's the basic way Continuous Quality Improvement can work. Accept that people make mistakes but also Expect people to work on doing better.

To take another example I've always thought that after an infiltration ideally the staff person and the dialyzor could figure out what went wrong. They would talk about what had just happened. But it is never discussed, everyone tries to forget about it as soon as possible. The dialyzor has a pretty good idea what happened and the staff person also has their perspective about why there was an outcome they did not intend but without any communication after the fact, without ever discussing what went wrong, without having a CQI program, infiltrations will continue to happen too frequently.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 10:20:26 AM by Bill Peckham » Logged

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 10:45:42 AM »

Marc, this is outrageous. I am so sorry. I would be ticked off as well, and I'm sure I would have got rid of a few ounces of fluid by bursting into tears.

Fluid restriction is hard enough when they do dialysis properly! :grouphug;

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2011, 02:40:26 PM »

:thumbdown; :thumbdown; :thumbdown;    :cuddle;

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 04:06:15 PM »

***Do not try this at home.  The following was done by a trained professional on a closed track***
Seriously though, I am not recommending this to anyone.
Well Sunday rolled around and I could feel the fluid overload.  I could feel it in my lungs and my feet.  I was truly dreading Monday morning and the amount of fluid they were going to have to pull off of me.  I had visions of crashing and cramps.  I went online and found that one of the local 24 hour fitness gyms had a sauna and a steam room.  They also had a free 3 day pass.  So I printed my pass and went there.  I weighed myself in the locker room and went to the steam room.  I did 10 minutes and then I showered and cooled off.  I then did another 10 minutes...you get the picture.  The sweat was pouring out of me.  Well, when I finally left I had lost a significant amount of water weight and I could breathe much better. 
This morning went okay.  My standing BP did drop to 91/65 but I did not cramp.  I really do not want anyone doing this because I do not think it was such a smart thing to do.  I probably should have just gone to the ER.  I am just so darn tired of going to the doctors.  I have been in every friggin bed in that ER.  They probably should name a wing of it after me.  I was hesitant to even post this as I am afraid someone else will try it. I was pretty wiped out when I left as well.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 05:07:22 PM »

I've done worse.... I go sit in my hot car with the sweat pouring off me.  I crack a window so I can breath.  But, then I can go have a nice cold glass of water.  I sometimes drive with the AC off just so I can sweat.  I don't do this with the dogs in the car.... just me.  It is amazing how much a little sweat helps you feel better.  Not a good thing to do and I too am not recommending it.

:shy;

I've told them at the clinic if they leave too much on I'll be in the next day for a 3 hour puff.  Start checking what numbers they key into the machines.

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 06:38:11 PM »

They should have never put you in a situation where you were so desperate that you had to go to a sauna to sweat off the fluid.  That is outrageous.  I'm not surprised you did what you did. 

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 07:08:49 PM »

Sweating is part of the Rx in Norway/Finland - I wonder if it is in Sweden? We should ask the new IHD member

In general the things a dialyzor should react to when taking a sauna/steam are the same things anyone should react to: lightheaded, cramping, heart racing, feeling unwell.

It sounded like you were taking measured exposure and maximizing fluid loss in a responsible way. I only wish I had thought to suggest it.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 08:28:13 PM »

Okay, I got lucky.  What I did was not very smart in my book.  I did it without any research. I am all for alternatives but I think that you need to really research something before you just do it.  There are things that you could do that could really harm you.   
Gandalf

"Character is Destiny" Heraclitus

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2011, 08:41:31 PM »

M, I totally understand why you initiated your radical strategy - there can be few desperations worse than that fluid overload thing - especially when it was induced by total negligence!  I wonder if the techs have ant idea at all what the result of their neglect actually feels like after a weekend...
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2011, 02:18:18 PM »

OMG, OMG, OMG!

She did it again! There was a bag and a half hanging when I started D.  I noticed at the end that the 1/2 bag was not there.  Luckily my tech had noticed that the nurse had dumped the half bag into me by accident and adjusted how much fluid they were taking off of me.  It did drop my BP.  I called the head nurse over and told her that was strike 3.  The nurse had made another mistake on me awhile back.  I told the head nurse that the nurse was not to touch me or my machine ever again and that I was not switching chairs.  She asked if my old nurse was okay.  I told her, yes.  My old nurse was great.  She never made any mistakes with my care.  Then the nurse in question came over to complain to my tech that she should have been told before I was told and that she would talk to me another time.  I let her know that I ASKED.  He did not tell me before I asked where the other bag went.  I also told the nurse that there was nothing she needed to talk to me about at another time.  I was done.  She had made 3 mistakes with my care. 
 :rant;
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2011, 02:27:34 PM »

Unbelievable.  Truly unbelievable.  Good for you for demanding another nurse; quite right, too!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2011, 06:07:42 PM »

goodness where do these people get their education?

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »