I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 14, 2024, 11:32:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  Get my cycler training tomorrow
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Get my cycler training tomorrow  (Read 3437 times)
Joe
Elite Member

« on: September 22, 2011, 12:36:05 PM »

Did my PET on Monday and everything looked pretty good. Have some vitamin adjustments to make, but nothing serious. That and my KT/V is at 1.9, so folks are happy with the way I am dialyzing. At the end of the session my PD nurse asked my how I would like to do my training this week. She didn't have to ask twice  :bandance; Hoping for a smooth transition from manuals to the cycler and not having to do exchanges at work any more. Time will tell.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
msrosefromms

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 01:23:41 PM »

:yahoo;Glad you are getting the training for the cycler. Doing it at night is a lot easier.

Less than 15% kidney function Oct 2009
1st PD Catheter July 2010
2nd PD Catheter Aug 2010
Started PD Oct 10 on Baxter Home Choice
Had to switch to Liberty Cycler Apr 2011
drgirlfriend

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 01:29:32 PM »

:2thumbsup;
Congrats!! My bf turned in all his liquids for the first time on Tuesday. I hope he does as well as you did! We've been aiming for the cycler from the beginning.

Boyfriend diagnosed with renal failure Feb. 2011. Cause unknown.
PD Catheter "installed" June 30, 2011.
Began CAPD August 11, 2011.
On transplant list 11/23/11.
Started Liberty Cycler 12/1/11.
mcclane

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 02:20:49 PM »

The cycler is a huge step forward from doing pd manually.  It really does free up your day time which is nice.  One downside I found is that if you do stay out late, it may throw your cycler schedule off.  For example, I usually like to be hooked up on the cycler at 9 pm, so it is done by 5 am the next day.  However, if you stay out late til 11:30 pm, you're way past the 12 hour mark by 2.5 hours.  I'm not sure if the extraneal can still be good for 14.5 hours. 

Just something to look out for.
wbdoug

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 03:33:54 PM »

The cycler is a huge step forward from doing pd manually.  It really does free up your day time which is nice.  One downside I found is that if you do stay out late, it may throw your cycler schedule off.  For example, I usually like to be hooked up on the cycler at 9 pm, so it is done by 5 am the next day.  However, if you stay out late til 11:30 pm, you're way past the 12 hour mark by 2.5 hours.  I'm not sure if the extraneal can still be good for 14.5 hours. 

Am I mississing something? If you hook up at 9 pm and disconect at 5 am then when you connect again at 9 pm that is 16 hours. I am using extraneal as my last fill and dwell about 15 hours plus.

Joe: After learning to do manual doing the machine is no problem. I've only been on it for two weeks myself but I am already into a routine every night. My only problem is the drain pain. Good luck to you.

Bill

8/3/2011 PD Cath installed
Life keeps interfering with my plans
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 03:56:36 PM »

Congrats!

:2thumbsup;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 06:39:43 AM »

Joe, you will be absolutely fine on the cycler, it frees up your day. The noise seemed to get to us to start with but you get used to it. Hubby had to do the urine test and the other ones this week so he had to do manual for a day and night, neither of us could sleep because it was so quite in our bedroom, we missed the noise!!!!!!!!!
mcclane

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 07:50:23 AM »

Am I mississing something? If you hook up at 9 pm and disconect at 5 am then when you connect again at 9 pm that is 16 hours. I am using extraneal as my last fill and dwell about 15 hours plus.

Joe: After learning to do manual doing the machine is no problem. I've only been on it for two weeks myself but I am already into a routine every night. My only problem is the drain pain. Good luck to you.

Bill

oooh you're right, i miscaulcated.  16 hours.  I was calculating 9 am to 9 pm, not sure what i was thinking.  I did use extraneal as well on my last fill.
drgirlfriend

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 01:59:25 PM »

How's it going, Joe? I hope everything is going well.
Was the cycler training multiple days like the manual training was? Tell me about the extraneal. This is the first I've heard of it.

Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 06:34:28 AM »

After a week I think I can say all is going well. I've only had one night where I got a low drain alarm on cycles 3 and 4. Got up, moved around and cycle 5 went just fine. Have had some drain pain, but I can usually take care of that by moving around to reposition the cath.

drgirlfriend, the cycler training was 3 hours. It really is straightforward. (I will caveat that with I'm using the Baxter system, can't speak for any others.)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
drgirlfriend

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 09:38:09 AM »

:thumbup;  Groovy!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »