I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:01:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Working while on Dialysis
| | |-+  Should I let it go??
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Should I let it go??  (Read 11723 times)
tbarrett2533

Me licking my kidneys from my birthday kidney cake

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2012, 10:34:18 AM »

If I may suggest applying for SSI (if you have not already applied sorry if I missed this in the thread if i did)

I applied for SSI and got it the next month, then waited my 5 months and got my SSD which considering all I did was work my tail off until I got ESRD my SSD is an amount that I can live on, plus once you get your SSD you can go back to work just earn under $1000 a month so I am working one day a week and I like it better (maybe sub teaching) ........... alot less stress

good luck

CKD since: 1981
9.22.10: Catheter surgery
9.23.10: Started in center Hemo
10.06.10: Fistula surgery
12.02.10: Started using right upper arm Fistula (15 gauge)
12.30.10: Catheter Removed
07.01.11: Laparoscopic CAPD Catheter insertion
07.29.11: Started CAPD, 2000ml, 4 exchanges (Baxter)
08.15.11: Started filling with 1500ml (instead of 2000ml), 4 exchanges
08.21.11: Back to 2000ml fills, 4 exchanges (3-2.5% & 1-1.5%)
10.12.11: 2000ml fills, 4 exchanges (3 1.5% & 1-2.5% overnight)
11.08.11: Transplant list

Dialysis works for me, I don't work for dialysis!
It's my body, my health!!
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2012, 07:47:46 PM »

Hey friends so I tried to pursue this through the free agency out here where I live and got the response "Thank you for your inquiry but due to limited staff and etc.. blah blah blah" and I think the statue of limits has expired so I am going to let this go....if I had the extra income I would pay someone to take my case but I don't...c'est la vie...I am going to write a letter to the superintendent though....that will have to be enough and it will....thanks to all who encouraged me...xo -R

If I may suggest applying for SSI (if you have not already applied sorry if I missed this in the thread if i did)

I applied for SSI and got it the next month, then waited my 5 months and got my SSD which considering all I did was work my tail off until I got ESRD my SSD is an amount that I can live on, plus once you get your SSD you can go back to work just earn under $1000 a month so I am working one day a week and I like it better (maybe sub teaching) ........... alot less stress

good luck

thanks TB for the advice but this school/job/SSD/SSI happened last year...since then I have been transplanted and I have been working 2 jobs and doing good. At the time I couldn't get SSI because I have too much money in my retirement and I wasn't going to forfeit it because I knew I would be transplanted quickly and back to work...right now I am on the trial work period with Social Security after my 9 months of making whatever I want I will be kicked off b/c I make over $1,000 now....again thank you for thinking of me...:)

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
MomoMcSleepy

My son Roddy McSleepy at 6 months! sry pic sidewz

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2012, 12:03:27 PM »

Hey, please make sure to send a copy to the Dept. Of Ed., too, that was a good suggestion.  I was looking for a full-time job when I started getting sick, and thought the stress was making me sick, so when I couldn't find a teaching job, but got an offer outside of teaching,I took it. I know some people manage it, but it is hard to imagine teaching and doing dialysis and feeling like crap.  I taught High School English Language Arts and coached Drama, and was always a wreck.

I had gallbladder problems and other things, too, an restocking all the time, but I'm sure the kidney thing didn't help  :2thumbsup;

Kidney disease is a growing problem in this country, and they are going to have to learn to be more accommodating...send that letter!

35 years old, first dx w/  chronic renal insufficiency at  28, pre-dialysis

born with persistent cloaca--have you heard of it?  Probably not, that's ok.

lots of surgeries, solitary left kidney (congenital)

chronic uti's/pyelonephritis

AV fistula May 2012
Kidney Transplant from my husband Jan. 16, 2013
Howard the Duck
NDXUFan

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2013, 09:05:06 PM »

Hey friends this has been weighing heavily on my mind and I am not convinced what I should do...

As some of you know last July was the first time ever to start dialysis...I also started a new teaching job in August. I really overestimated how challening and life alternating dialysis would be....I realized that I needed some sort of accomodation to continue doing my job...I went to the superintendent and asked for the following things to help 1) an aid  2) split my teaching day with another teacher (even offering to take a 50% pay cut) 3) stop requiring me to go to every extra meeting under the sun after school

Anyways they did nothing to help, no one cared so I ended up quitting....at the time it was a very gutsy thing to do; not being sure how I would pay for things and be able to afford a transplant (wasn't even sure I was getting one at that time either) but everything worked out and I have a great job now...BUT I just feel like I need to write that school a letter and express how disappointed I am in them....but maybe I don't even have a leg to stand on....maybe it's ridiculous to expect any help (even though the place I work at now do allow teachers to split their contracts and working days) I know it will not change the situation but maybe the next person with ESRD it would help. Maybe they will take a minute to think twice before just sweeping the problem and the plea for help under the rug. And also at the core of it I think it would help me just have closure too...I don't know...what do you folks think?? Me as a person it is hard for me not to express how I feel and keep things bottle inside.....

xo,
R

Contact an Employment attorney about suing or EEOC.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »