I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:40:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Working while on Dialysis
| | |-+  Drug Testing
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Drug Testing  (Read 13185 times)
The_Vincester

« on: September 20, 2011, 07:06:10 AM »

Well, I've run into an interesting situation. After my previous job was lost from the business going under, I've been looking for a new job. I currently have a job offer from another company, but I'm running into problems. They want a drug test. The problem is not that I can't pass one - I doubt that they're checking for the type of drugs I'm on, but the fact they want a urinalysis - and, well, with ESRD I don't pee.

I asked if a blood test was an option, and they don't really want to do that. They'd have to set up a completely different account with the testing agency and all kinds of other red tape, I guess. The recruiter I'm working with is very sympathetic, but doesn't really know what to do.

I really hate this, because I really didn't want to even bring up my ESRD until I really had to. I do overnight peritoneal dialysis on a cycler, and it really won't affect my work - so until they need to know, I didn't think it was there business.

I hated letting the cat of the bag, because then I felt like I was hiding something. However, I didn't want that stigma before they know how I work... fact is, I used to be a hiring manager, and I would have had serious doubts about hiring someone like me, so I know the stigma is there.

I obviously need a job, and if it came down to it, there is some "hardball" I could play. Since I have ESRD, I'm disabled and they cannot discriminate against me, so I have that card to play, but I certainly don't want to go that route. What kind of message would that send? I'm just frustrated that this could jeopardize a really good position that I'm uniquely qualified for.

Has anyone else run into a similar situation?
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 09:59:01 AM »

Here's a thread that deals with the topic. http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=8633.0
It's also a pretty humorous thread - oh man Rerun - she's funny.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Dannyboy

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 10:47:28 AM »

*THAT* is a funny thread.

Vince, sorry you're dealing with this drug testing through urinalysis issue.

---Dan

ESRD Summer 2011
Started using NxStage September, 2011
"Everything is funny as long as it is happening to Somebody Else"--Will Rogers

Alcoa and Reynolds are in a bidding war to buy my serum Aluminum.
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 05:55:08 PM »

good question! Insist that they need to do a blood test, that's the only thing that I know of to do really. Looks like you might to have to play hardball.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
The_Vincester

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 06:04:16 PM »

I was contacted today. The recruiter says she's just waiting on a chain of custody form for my blood test. That's the good news in all this. Since I'm going through a recruiting service, she doesn't get paid unless I get hired. With that in mind, it seems like she's doing everything possible to make things happen.
mcclane

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 08:14:25 AM »

best wishes on the position !  :thumbup;

I can totally understand where you're coming from on the kidney disease thing.  It has been a while since i applied for a new position, but I usually don't tell them about my medical condition.  I feel it is none of their business, especially since they haven't hired yet.

While I've not had to do any drug testing for any of the positions i've applied for, you can state that due to medical conditions, a urine sample is not possible.  Don't get into too much specifics unless they really ask why.
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 08:36:21 AM »

you know, I was actually thinking of the same thing no too long ago. I even posted this question on Facebook.

Let us know how it turns out.

Lisa

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 01:47:31 PM »

So far, I still urinate so that hasn't been an issue for me. Even though I am an independent contractor, I have had to get background check and drug tested for some of the companies I work for.

Good Luck!

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 07:32:12 PM »

Also for those of us who still urinate would our urine even be acurate for a drug test? If we did have drugs would they pass through our urine?

august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 01:17:18 AM »

I was wondering about that too!! I did pee for my blood test but then quite soon after I stopped peeing...whew!! I also wonder how employers can ask you to fill out medical history forms too...can't that be a form of discrimination? I asked my neph to fill out the form last fall and they even asked about disease that run in your family and the neph said "this isn't any of there business" and he put "NO"....love my neph!!!

I hope you get the job!! GOOD LUCK!!

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
The_Vincester

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 04:34:16 PM »

Eventually did the blood test, got the job and starts 10/10.

Now I need to figure out how I handle SSDI. I hadn't planned on working until this came along, and supposed to get my first check in November. I know I can work several months without financial restriction, but do I need to notify them?
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 06:15:07 PM »

absolutely! or if you go over you will end up paying it back!

bleija

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 04:01:59 PM »

i never thought about it not being accuarate, hmmm
rsudock
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 10:28:23 PM »

Eventually did the blood test, got the job and starts 10/10.

Now I need to figure out how I handle SSDI. I hadn't planned on working until this came along, and supposed to get my first check in November. I know I can work several months without financial restriction, but do I need to notify them?

Did you see my workers' with disabilities thread?? I have been tracking my journey working with a disability... hope the job is going well!!

xo,
R

1995 - AV Fistula placed
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
bleija

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 09:46:39 AM »

how do u notify them that u are working, i applied for disability when i couldnt work my fullltime schedule when i got put on hemo... but im back on PD now and im starting back to work next week, i told my boss about the disability and that i cant make more than 1000 a month is there any other considerations that i need to think about and make sure that i follow, i do not want lose disability and i surely dont want to have to pay them back
rsudock
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2011, 11:59:12 AM »

how do u notify them that u are working, i applied for disability when i couldnt work my fullltime schedule when i got put on hemo... but im back on PD now and im starting back to work next week, i told my boss about the disability and that i cant make more than 1000 a month is there any other considerations that i need to think about and make sure that i follow, i do not want lose disability and i surely dont want to have to pay them back

alright here is what I know to be true...you can always go to SSA.gov and in the search engine type "Trial Work Period" and the social security site will give you links to open that discuss your options while being disabled and working... :)   http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10095.html#part3

When you go back to work, the first 9 months are called a "Trial Work Period"  that means you can AS MUCH AS YOU WANT for 9 months and you WILL NOT LOSE your Social security check.... after the initial 9 months, the next 36 months you can make up to $1000 without losing your benefits. If after the 36 months you continually make over $1000 they will consider that "substantial" income and your benefits will be dropped, BUT you will have 5 years to RESTART your benefits without filing a new claim. (ie-you are working, but you need to switch to hemo, and you get very sick to the point, where you cannot work at all again...you can start getting your check from SSA again, without filling out a new application.)

VERY IMPORTANT...find out the address of your local social security office. Send in COPIES of your paycheck stubs at the end of every month! They need this to keep track of your earning during the trial work period...if you don't it is considered FRAUD!  So for me December 26th will be the last pay in the month of December. Usually the next day or two I will go and copy all of the stubs for the ENTIRE month and send them with a letter that states..."To whom it may concern; these are my paycheck stubs for the month of December 2011. I am sending them so you can keep track of my earnings for my 9 month Trial Work Period. I am disabled due to ESRD....etc..."

You get the picture I'm sure...I hope that helps!!! Take care hope the job is going good! Sounds like you have a decent boss!

xo,
R

1995 - AV Fistula placed
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 10:27:33 AM »

How did you get SDI? I have applied three times before I have up. The first time I was denied, they said ESRD is not a disability! Then I was told my husband makes too much. And finally, since I still work part time when I can, that I didn't make enough! I don't get it?!

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
bleija

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 03:45:48 PM »

u have to talk to ur doctor... how much u make shouldnt matter, my social worker said u c oiuld be a millionare aand still collect disability.. as long as u dnt make over 1000 a month yourself, thn u should qualify, they send a paper to ur doc to fill out ...
shorty590000

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2011, 01:58:51 PM »

Sullidog brought up an intriguing question and no one has seemed to answer to it.. so far....how does kidney failure affect a drug test? would they stay in your system longer because decreased kidney function? very intriguing... if anybody knows.. pls provide your input.. thank u

Michelle
bleija

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2011, 06:08:23 AM »

i asked my nurse, so now i htink he thinks im doing drugs lol, he said it would still show up
Grumpy-1

Make me the person my dog thinks I am

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2012, 04:57:33 AM »

I work for the Dept of Defense and have random drug tests.  When I first start on PD, i was making enough urine to be able to take a urine test.  None of the D medication ever showed up.  I did have an ear infection once that I was taking some strong antibiotics for and that those did show on the urine test.  All I had to do when ask about that was to send them the prescription label for the medications and everything was OK.  Now I no longer produce urine and I have a letter written from the Doctors stating that I have kidney disease and no longer produce urine.  So everytime I get called in for a urine drug test, I send them a copy of that letter and we are OK.  I too indicated that I have no problem or concerns if they want to do a blood test for drugs, but so far they haven't had an issue with it.

Make me the person my dog thinks I am
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2012, 12:09:49 PM »

We're more alike than I thought Grumpy-1. I have the same situation with random urinalysis tests, and likely for the same reason. I'm still making some urine, so can provide it to them, at least for the time being. We'll see how it goes.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »