I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2024, 01:04:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Trying to face my fear
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Trying to face my fear  (Read 21330 times)
needlephobic

« on: September 15, 2011, 06:37:26 PM »

My Psychologist I have been seeing for my needle phobia has ordered the staff at my D center to lay a D needle next to me while I am doing dialysis. It is to be still in the wrapper for now until I get comfortable with it. Then it will be removed from packet and taped to my arm until I am comfortable  with it then we will try sticking me oh boy. Sounds stupid I know but this fear is hard to get over. We tried it today freaked out but thanks to the D.O.N who stood buy to get me  focused and help me get the needle off my mind sure helped. and I was able to set there my whole treatment with it next to me. Still have along way to go.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 06:40:12 PM »

Oh, that's really interesting.  Thank you for writing about how they plan to help you with this fear.  Keep telling us!  I do hope this works for you.  I am so glad that they are finally really addressing this situation.  Step by step by step.  Be strong and patient with yourself.  I'm really proud of you.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 08:04:20 PM »

Kudos to you for trying to work through this!  :clap;
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 08:21:22 PM »

:thumbup; I can imagine how tough it is, I too have a fear of needles, but look forward to hearing about the process you are trying.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
needlephobic

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 08:43:12 PM »

It is really hard for me to set there with that needle looking at me. My Psychologist told me that I am not afraid of needles. I am afraid of what ever traumatized me will happen again that is why I fight or run if somebody comes at me with a needle. That's why I asked the D.O.N if somebody can be there to talk to me and help me get the needle off my mind and it worked was still nervous but still did it hopefully as every time I do D it will get better. As I was told it is a start.
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 09:40:01 PM »

dang, this brought me close to tears... I so hope this works for you..  It just gives me the hebie geebies to think of it so i am very proud of your accomplishment so far.  I wish you the very best with this....  so proud of you, i KNOW it's so hard. 

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 12:33:43 AM »

well done for trying to overcome this fear

baby steps and you'll get there, might take a bit of time though :2thumbsup; :yahoo; :thumbup; :clap;

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
The Noob

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 12:54:27 AM »

yes, baby steps! can i relate a story that might help?

when my middle daughter was 18 months old, i had a 3.5 yr old, 8 yr old, and was 8 months pregnant. my H (then) was active duty and gone alot. this one daughter was tiny and petite and a loving little thing.
she contracted a virus, which over a 6 week period did not get better with meds. it resulted in her being put in the hospital for a week. during this time she had tests and IV, catheter, and other interventions. these were necessary because she was very sick. i stayed with her during the day, H stayed with her at night. she finally responded to the meds and was able to come home.
for the next month she was traumatized and clung to me 24/7. when i couldn't go on without sleep, i slept on the floor next to her crib. this was the only way to get her to sleep and rest for me.
i had a psychologist to help during this time and she had me purchase a small toy medical kit and a "Dr.Barbie".
each day, just for a few minutes, she and i would work with these toys. only a few mins at a time. at first she couldn't even see them without crying in fear. we would bring them out, look at them a few mins and then put them away. very slowly we began to open them and handle them. gradually i showed her what they were for (on myself), and even slower, she began to handle them and use them, like the plastic thermometer and stethoscope. we role played with the doll, again very slowly.
after about 2 weeks, she would toddle over, open the dresser door and take them out. another few days and she was carrying them around. she wasn't verbalizing like an adult of course but i knew she was relaying best she could. about a week after that she was sleeping with the doll and carrying the med kit around with her.
and she was able to sleep in her crib (without me on the floor). within a month she had recovered a decent amount and though she and i still worked on this for a few more months, she eventually recovered from the trauma. today, this is the daughter (age 22) that works in a nursing home and volunteered to donate a kidney.

this was good because just over a month after this, i delivered a 10.3lb baby girl by C section and hurricane hugo swept through our town.

it sounds like a good plan he has you on, you can do it!  :cuddle; :cuddle; :cuddle;
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 12:56:34 AM by The Noob » Logged
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 01:22:40 AM »

Great story Noob and you really had to work at that, but you succeeded. Noob, you can do it too. Hang tough.Give it the time it needs too.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 04:48:28 AM »

This doesn't sound at all stupid needlephobic..it sounds like a courageous move and a good plan.  I too will be interested to hear how things go. 

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Desert Dancer

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 05:36:43 AM »

That sounds like a great plan! Baby steps, right? (Makes me think of "What About Bob?") I know you can do this, just don't rush it. I don't think I have to tell you how very proud we all are of you for your persistence. That's half the battle.  :cuddle;

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Hazmat35

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 06:35:13 AM »

Back in the "day" when a child use to have to spend days in the hospital to have their tonsils removed, I had a MALE NURSE, grab me by the arm, and just about jerk me out of the bed, and told me:  "STOP YOUR CRYING OR I'LL GIVE YOU A SHOT WITH A NEEDLE AND GIVE YOU SOMETHING TO CRY ABOUT!!!!".  Of course, he was hold a syringe with a needle in it at the time. 

Till this day, I have a FEAR of needles, and I can NOT STAND to be grabbed or touched in the "spot" on my arm.  It has been over 40 years, and the thought of a needle, terrifies me!!!!  That is why I LOVE DIALYSIS so much!!!!!!  Sometimes, I still have panic attacks, just thinking about it! 

Your are NOT ALONE!!!!! 

Brother Passed away - 1990 - Liver Disease
Diagnosed w/ Polycystic Kidney Disease - 1998
Mother passed away - Feb. 1999 - PKD
Sister passed away - Feb. 2006 - PKD
AV Fistula / Upper Left Arm - September 2009
Father passed away - September 2009
In-Center Hemo Dialysis - April 2010
Broken Knee Cap - January 2015
Diagnosed w/ A-Fib October 2017
Surgery to repair Hiatal Hernia 2018
Multiple Fistula Grams / Angioplasty's since then!

Hating Dialysis since Day 1 and everyday since then!!!!  :)
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 03:28:48 PM »

:clap;   :yahoo;   :2thumbsup;   :cuddle;
That is so awesome that you took the first step and now they are trying to help!
I still have my fear of needles but I'm slowly dealing with it. I absolutely cannot watch while they stick me! It's not the pain so much as the thought of that thing going into me! I was very conflicted about letting them start using my fistula (which I put off getting for as long as I could!) I didn't want to get stuck BUT I was getting tired of not being able to take a proper shower or go swimming. (I LOVE to swim). I had my cath pulled one year to the day that it was put in (April 28). They told me not to shower that night so the next day, I got under that stream and stood there until the hot water ran out!   :lol;  This Summer, I practically lived in my pool! For me, that outweighed the ease of the cath.
You will continue to be in my prayers   :pray;  Maybe I'll call in a few "prayer warriors" that I know!
You know you are not alone! Just think of us all dialyzing there with you, keeping you distracted.   :cuddle;

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 03:30:21 PM »

I am sooooooo glad to hear that you are working on this, Needlephobic! I have been worried about you.

I have confidence that this plan will WORK!  :2thumbsup;

Let us know every victory. This first one is huge. Congratulations!  :clap; :clap; :clap;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Steve-0

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 03:30:33 PM »

I had a fear of needles before I started dialysis.  Used to refuse to get blood draws and stuff.  Then when I was diagnosed with ESRD, there was no other option really.  So I said screw it, swallowed my fear and realized it couldn't kill me - or even really hurt me.  So I took the needles like a man (which was odd, because before dialysis, I considered myself to be kind of a wimp and a baby, it turns out I'm like freakin' Rambo, actually.  I just deal with stuff now!) and I learned to be afraid of other things.... like colonoscopies.  I've had two since then.  They still suck.

Anyway, babbling aside, I hope this helps you man - I know you've struggled with this, but I also know you can do it - you're obviously of strong mind and heart, with all the posts you placed on here, I see so much passion poured into the struggle and into the fear.  Hopefully you can transfer some of that passion into accepting it.  Good luck man, you deserve it - I want to see you get as well as you can be.  Dialysis sucks, for sure.

~Steve
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 06:27:46 PM »

I hated needles, but now I take it like a man, I would have this thought running through my mind, being stuck with a needle is a small price to pay for living, would I rather do the alternative and greeve my friends and family, or do I wanna pay that small price and be stuck 3 times a week, I chose to be stuck with the needle.
Good luck to you!

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
The Noob

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2011, 04:45:12 AM »

when DH and i worked the rig, he would be ready to put iv in, and at that moment i would be chattering like a chipmunk to the patient and all of a sudden i'd make a kind of long weird noise and tuggle the patients ear, it distracted them as they were suddenly looking at me wondering why i'd made such an obscene noise, they didn't realize the iv was already in. ok it didn't work on everyone but alot it did..just something to hopefully make you chuckle..
wbdoug

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 10:09:32 AM »

After following your other thread, I was very happy to read this post. I am very new to dialysis but I can already see how easy it is to just give up. There is nothing easy about any of this. We all have our fears and some are harder to deal with.

I am so glad that you are making progress and I hope you continue to move forward. You give us all hope!!

Bill

8/3/2011 PD Cath installed
Life keeps interfering with my plans
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 07:57:58 PM »

Iam so Proud of you, Needlephobic.  You did it!   I know it was hard, but hey, you should give yourself credit.  I know you will do it again too!  As time goes on you will find that, although the stick may hurt, the needle is what keeps you going.  You will learn to tolerate it better.

So glad to hear that they are willing to help you through this!  God Bless you, Needlephobic.  It took courage to do what you have done!   :thumbup; :thumbup; :thumbup;

lmunchkin    :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
needlephobic

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2011, 09:19:54 PM »

Thanks everybody for your support and kind words. With my phobia it has been a very hard road to go down.

Iam so Proud of you, Needlephobic.  You did it!   I know it was hard, but hey, you should give yourself credit.  I know you will do it again too!  As time goes on you will find that, although the stick may hurt, the needle is what keeps you going.  You will learn to tolerate it better.

So glad to hear that they are willing to help you through this!  God Bless you, Needlephobic.  It took courage to do what you have done!   :thumbup; :thumbup; :thumbup;

lmunchkin    :kickstart;

I have not been stuck yet but working to get to that it just takes time. Right now the needle will be next to me so I can get use to it then taken out of wrapper and taped to my arm so I can get use to it being there then the real hard part getting stuck (((shivers))) freaking out thinking about it. They put the D needle in my bag that holds my blanket and pillow for me to take home why ? I don't know. I won't touch that thing .
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2011, 09:34:06 PM »

They put the D needle in my bag that holds my blanket and pillow for me to take home why ? I don't know. I won't touch that thing .

Perhaps you could take it out and look at it, after you've gotten used to it sitting next to you in the package, of course.  It may make it a little easier to take it out of the package when the time comes.  Just a thought

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2011, 03:27:38 AM »

Really proud of you, keep it up    :bandance; :bandance;
needlephobic

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2011, 09:52:20 PM »

They put the D needle in my bag that holds my blanket and pillow for me to take home why ? I don't know. I won't touch that thing .

Perhaps you could take it out and look at it, after you've gotten used to it sitting next to you in the package, of course.  It may make it a little easier to take it out of the package when the time comes.  Just a thought

Not ready to touch that thing it still freaks me out it will help if they had somebody every time I do D to set with me to calm me down but alot of the staff don't understand my fear. At one time they thought I was jokeing and waved one in front of my face.  She almost got hit. I am taking it one day at a time
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2011, 10:03:32 PM »

You know, needlephobic, I went back and read some of your very first posts here on IHD, and you may not realize it, but you've already made some real progress.  I'm awfully impressed.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2011, 11:08:37 AM »

You are not alone in this. Here is a link to an article on the fear of needles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trypanophobia

I thought it was kind of cool that they listed a number of famous people that also share our fear.

Good Luck to you. Keep it up, you CAN do this!

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »