I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 06:31:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Cell phone at dialysis unit
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cell phone at dialysis unit  (Read 13129 times)
nkviking75

« on: January 21, 2007, 07:47:13 PM »

First to the Mods:  If I'm duplicating a previous thread, please do what you need to do.  I couldn't find another one on this topic.

Those of you in dialysis units, does your unit allow cell phones?  Mine does not.  I find this rule silly.  In the first place, on countless occasions I have forgotten to shut off my cell phone and no one has been affected.  The unit also has two laptop computers mounted on special carts and connected to the internet via wireless network.  And on those rare occasions when I need to make a call, they'll bring me a wireless phone.  So it's not as if they don't already have sources of RF (radio frequency) in the room.

I must say I wouldn't want to put up with a room full of patients chatting on the phone, so the rule does have one benefit.  But occasionally I need to get a call out, and it would be nice to have the option.

What do you think?
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 07:50:30 PM »

They just don't want everybody getting a bunch of calls I assume. Other than that they just want control of everything I guess.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 08:19:53 PM »

I have looked into this and it is Bull Shit!!  It will do nothing if you use your cell phone.  The center I'm at now the techs are on their cell phones while pushing buttons on the machine.  I use mine all the time.  I've called Fresenius and they won't change their disclaimer which says that using cell phones near a machine may cause some malfunction (alarm going off).

I agree that I don't want to hear a bunch of conversations and I don't want the staff talking to their girlfriend while working on me.

There is another post about this and I'll try and find it..........

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 08:20:22 PM »

First to the Mods:  If I'm duplicating a previous thread, please do what you need to do.  I couldn't find another one on this topic.

Those of you in dialysis units, does your unit allow cell phones?  Mine does not.  I find this rule silly.  In the first place, on countless occasions I have forgotten to shut off my cell phone and no one has been affected.  The unit also has two laptop computers mounted on special carts and connected to the internet via wireless network.  And on those rare occasions when I need to make a call, they'll bring me a wireless phone.  So it's not as if they don't already have sources of RF (radio frequency) in the room.

I must say I wouldn't want to put up with a room full of patients chatting on the phone, so the rule does have one benefit.  But occasionally I need to get a call out, and it would be nice to have the option.

What do you think?

A simple search using the term "Cell Phone" comes up with http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=157.0  :-\

- Epoman
Owner/Admin

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 08:38:06 PM »

My unit is fine with cell phones. If someone calls me I try to be quiet if I can but usually just use it for text messages when bored (ie: after the first 10 minutes :) ). They don't mind.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Fox_nc

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 07:50:41 AM »

My centers allows cell phones and I hate it.  The guy who sat next to me got calls all freakin day long!  Very annoying.  Especially when it would go off while he was sleeping.  I couldn't run from it and was so not interested in what he had to say.  Ugh!  :twocents;

Being normal is not necessarily a virtue. It rather denotes a lack of courage. -- from the movie Practical Magic
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 07:55:56 AM »

They allow cell phones here.  Not many bring them though as the unit has phones at each station.

It does get annoying when people let them ring 3 or 4 times before answering them.

I have also heard such things can interfere with the machines.

One older guy here used to bring a heating blanket and the machine maintenance person said not to because it could interfere with the machine.  I suppose there is always the possibility it can happen but has it actually ever happened where a device interfered with the machine?
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 08:42:14 AM »

I know people who dialyze at HOME and they have electric blankets, the TV going, Microwave, two-way radios and cell phones along with all the other HOME conveniences.  They don't have any problems with the machines.

nextnoel

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 08:50:47 AM »

Here's a scenario most folks aren't aware of with cell phones.

I broke several vertebra in 2000, and was left with permanent pain because a piece of bone lodged in my spinal canal (that was quite the adventure, I can tell you!).  After many years of trying to get some degree of pain control, I found that a TENS unit worked well.  (That's the gadget that sends an electrical charge to the electrode that you place over the spine where the pain is; the electrical charge can actually be programmed in various patterns, and works to interrupt the pain message the nerves send to the brain.)  

Now here's the problem:  if I have it turned on and a cell phone activates within about 6 feet of me, the TENS unit gives me one Hell of a shock - feels like sticking your finger in a wall socket.  I have learned to do without the TENS unit at work and just deal with the back pain as best I can, but if I were stuck in an uncomfortable chair for hours at a time without being able to get up and move around a bit to escape the pain, I would really be in trouble.  And using weighted values, hours of certain pain for me outweighs hours of inconvenience for everybody else!

I can't reach the hill like I used to, but I'm not at a standstill yet!
nkviking75

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 12:50:32 PM »

They just don't want everybody getting a bunch of calls I assume. Other than that they just want control of everything I guess.
The reason I was given was that the cell phones would interfere with the dialysis machines, and possibly pacemakers.  I've never believed it.
nkviking75

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 12:56:14 PM »

What do you think?

A simple search using the term "Cell Phone" comes up with http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=157.0  :-\

- Epoman
Owner/Admin

I don't know how I missed that when I did the search.  I only remember posts that had incidental references to cell phones.  But obviously I was mistaken.  Sorry.
nkviking75

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 01:00:57 PM »

nextnoel, if I were aware of a situation like yours going on around me, I would certainly refrain.  I have no wish to hurt anyone.  I trust the staff would inform me that someone in the unit was being affected.  But for the most part I don't think most of us encounter people in that kind of situation.
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 01:19:26 PM »

I understand Airlines protocol for no cell phone use after take off.  Although, thankfully that didn't stop Flight 93 passengers making one last phone call to their loved ones on 9/11/01.  But, my point is that ALL Airlines require that. 

Most dialysis centers allow cell phones.  So, there is a conflict of rules which leads me to believe that the Director is behind the times or has some sort of "Power" "Control" issues.

If cell phones interfered with pace makers, there would be people laying all over the grocery store.  I swear everyone in the grocery store is on the damn cell phone.  "What else do we need?  I've got milk.  What about bread?  Do we need bread?"  AHhhhhh

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 02:23:57 PM »

From livecam's post on the other cell phone thread --"My unit had a no cellphone policy but didn't really enforce it.  I thought the whole thing was bunk so I tried a little experiment.  With the phone in a call and transmitting I moved it physically close to the CPU in the dialysis machine which was a Fresenius 2008 I recall.  Sure enough the machine started alarming.  Since once is never enough I tried it again with the same results.  Was the machine just alarming or could the RF have changed a programming parameter?  That I don't know but the experiment proved that there are valid reasons for such bans."

My center doesn't allow cell phones either.  Actually, they are not allowed in the entire building.  If they see you making a call in the lobby, they will tell you to go outside.  Not sure why it matters so much when we are at the opposite end of the building from any technical machinery at all, but that is the policy.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 02:46:47 PM »

As I said in post...
http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=157.msg13087#msg13087

The cell phone policy is there as a just in case.  Some older phones, as well as certain network providers can cause issues with the dialysis machine and pacemakers.  This does not mean it will, just that it can.  Fresenius put out a new policy about cell phones on the treatment floor that basically says as long as there seems to be no interference don't worry about it.

It's not easy being green.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2007, 02:59:30 PM »

I say ban all cell phones indoors like smoking.      :o
 :beer1;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Fox_nc

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2007, 03:06:36 PM »

Here! Here!

Being normal is not necessarily a virtue. It rather denotes a lack of courage. -- from the movie Practical Magic
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2007, 03:10:04 PM »

I know where you are comimng from Zach, but I'm not one for losing our civil liberties.
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2007, 03:22:09 PM »

I know where you are comimng from Zach, but I'm not one for losing our civil liberties.

Cell phones or boom boxes, it's all about the volume ... and the violation of the civil liberties of my ears.     ;)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2007, 03:24:25 PM »

Cell phones or boom boxes, it's all about the volume ... and the violation of the civil liberties of my ears.     ;)

Boom Boxes I can totally agree.
Fox_nc

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2007, 03:34:43 PM »

I would hate to lose civil liberties as much as the next girl, I just wish that people would simply learn to respect others.  I'm personally tired of hearing people speak loudly about aspects of their personal lives that I do not need to hear - especially during dialysis.   :twocents;

Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2007, 03:36:59 PM »

I would hate to lose civil liberties as much as the next girl, I just wish that people would simply learn to respect others.  I'm personally tired of hearing people speak loudly about aspects of their personal lives that I do not need to hear - especially during dialysis.   :twocents;

The world is my phone booth!   

I make films.

angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2007, 12:10:34 PM »

I dont think cell phones should be banned from dialysis units. I always brought my cell phone with me to dialysis, there was no ban. I would of brought it anyways though. I used my cell to call my ride, to be able to speak to my kids if I wanted too. I mostly txt msg'd but I did sometimes talk on my phone during my session. I didn't talk loud, I did ask the patients surrounding me if they minded or bothered them and to let me know if it ever did. They were fine with it, and a few of them used cell phones themselves. Techs at my unit then used their cell's also, on the floor, by the machine... so whats the difference if they can we can.

I never leave without my cell phone, I have it whereever I go.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2007, 12:58:44 PM »

Cell phones were banned at the center where hubby was.  It was in a hospital and the ban was for the whole hospital.. I would be very upset to see nurses talking on a cell phone or any phone when they were setting up the machine or putting a patient on or taking them off.  When you are not concentrating on what you are doing that's when you make simple mistakes that could cause a patient to be in danger.

I sort of agree with Zach.  I am sick of talking to people and their cell phone rings you are ignored.  I am a primary teacher and we don't have anyproblems with cell phones.  I can see it being a problem in the higher grades.  The teacher can be in the middle of a lesson when the cell phone rings.  ANNOYING!!

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2007, 01:02:52 PM »

I forgot to mention that at hubby's unit they had a cordless phone that you could use.  One man who was planning to give up dialysis actually planned his funeral on that phone.  Everybody in the unit could hear him.  Also if he had any problems with any funeral home or the people who were doing the head stone he dealt with it all from that phone.  I thought that was very inappropiate. 

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »