I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 04:22:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Nerves
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nerves  (Read 3345 times)
jollor

« on: January 21, 2007, 05:52:41 PM »

The other day when they were sticking me they hit a nerve because I felt my hand get numb and tingly for a moment. Has anybody else have this happen to them? This is actually the second time this has happened to me. It's very disturbing to me. I'm very worried about the damage there doing.
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 06:03:10 PM »

The other day when they were sticking me they hit a nerve because I felt my hand get numb and tingly for a moment. Has anybody else have this happen to them? This is actually the second time this has happened to me. It's very disturbing to me. I'm very worried about the damage there doing.

Yeap, hitting nerves is very common. And it varies from person to person (notice I didn't say "patient", Billp? ;) ) Depending on the amount of nerve endings in your arm. I recommend if you have a lot of nerve endings by your fistula that you give the "Buttonhole" method a try, that and learn to stick your own needles. Sticking yourself is very easy, I have been sticking my own needles for several years and I NEVER have infiltrated or hurt myself once. And with buttonhole I have ZERO pain. If you do not know what the "buttonhole" is, please do a SEARCH, as it has been discussed MANY times on this site.

- Epoman
Owner/Admin

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 12:29:44 AM »

Yeah, its happened to me a couple times, but my pain goes up under my arm. So bad, I had to ask to be taken off early because of it.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 08:03:45 AM »

This used to happen to hubby sometimes too.  Said he found the pain right out to the tips of his fingers.  Haven't heard him mention in since we have been using buttonholes.  He still says that there is no needle that is absolutely painless.

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 01:18:43 PM »

This used to happen to hubby sometimes too.  Said he found the pain right out to the tips of his fingers.  Haven't heard him mention in since we have been using buttonholes.  He still says that there is no needle that is absolutely painless.

Well I am just stating my personal experience, that I have absolutely 100% ZERO pain with my 15g Buttonhole needles, both of them, I pick the scab and the need slides right it. ZERO PAIN!

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 02:38:24 PM »

Getting stuck usually doesn't bother me - it doesn't feel great, but it's only uncomfortable.  Until my last session - the tech tried a new spot, and landed smack dab in the middle of a nerve.  It felt like she had just set my arm on fire. I gasped and must have gone sheet white, because she hurriedly moved the needle and it stopped.  I think the tech was more upset than I was - she's one of the best in my center at hooking people up, and she rarely hurts anyone.

I'm very worried about the damage there doing.

Does anyone know if it causes any lasting damage?  The pain doesn't last, but will hitting a nerve do any permanent damage to it?

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

brenda

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 11:24:07 PM »

I don't know about the lasting damage but I do have a spot in the middle of my fistula that I hit nerves in a time or two. I asked our training nurse about it and she just told me I should avoid the area. The only problem with that now is I have a dip in my fistula there from not using it. Hasn't posed me any problems. From what I remember it was uncomfortable the whole run.

Life is what happens while your making other plans.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »