I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 11:20:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Fistula is blocked.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fistula is blocked.  (Read 8972 times)
Rivy

« on: August 22, 2011, 05:25:58 PM »

OMG!  I just went in to my Dialysis Center, my normal routine of getting a treatment..When we were ready to cannula we notice that the blood was dark..I'm looking at it thinking something is wrong..My tech said that I may be clot..so she went to get a -scope to listen to my fistula and sure enough..No buzzing, no beat, or no nothing..  How could that be...?  Well, She called the manager nurse to come see and she said that I must of gotten dehydrated over the weekend.... I said it could be possible.   I was working out in my back alley cleaning for 5 hours when it got hot! I thought I had a sunstroke..there for a minute..  I was about to faint out there when I finally came in..Boy! I was feeling bad and I really was sweating and blood pressure went down quick..I just thought it was the sun and I would cool off in a minute...I had to lay down for a minute..than had to jump in the shower for a cold wet down...It did finally work...I was OK...

Although, I didn't feel my fistula to see if I felt the buzz or hums...I completely forgot..I didn't realize that being hydrated and having you blood pressure drop would cause a fistula to block or clot.. :'(  They arranged for me to get a fistula gram tomorrow morning early..I'm scared that I have might of lost it..I am so hoping that  they can save it...I'm just developing button holes...and it's working fine until today...I had to come home and panic until tomorrow...

OMG!  I hope things go well...I wish I would of been told or aware of this that if you dehydrate you will cause something to fistula..and feel it ! feel it !  and feel it again!! Damn it! 

Thanks for listening,
Rivy :banghead;
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 06:15:54 PM »

:grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug;

My doc got my poor, pitiful graft unclotted from a complete stop one time.  Don't give up hope!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 06:18:04 PM »

:grouphug; :grouphug;

I am hoping that they can get you up and running again.

FWIW, my husband's center told him not to allow the fistula to get sunburned, either. That can cause clotting, too.

:grouphug; :grouphug;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 07:20:03 PM »

Yes, bp has a lot to do with how your access will run. Rule of thumb is for me I always check my graft every day for the thrill, if it's not there I don't even go to dialysis, I will call my vascular surgeon right away or go into the er.
Chances are they will shoot that PTA declot medicine in and that thing will be good as new!

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
Rivy

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 07:24:58 PM »

Thanks!  Gives me a little hope.. :cuddle;
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 07:28:43 PM »

I'm sure he will shoot that TPA right in there and it will work like new! That TPA is from what I understand is the strongest declot medicine out there.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »