I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 07:24:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Where did you get your vaccinations?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where did you get your vaccinations?  (Read 3302 times)
Deanne
Elite Member

« on: August 11, 2011, 01:17:35 PM »

My transplant coordinator said she's ready to list me as soon as I start the hepatitis B vaccination series.  :yahoo; I called my neph's office to ask if I can get them there - nope. I called my last primary care physician's office. I haven't seen her in several years. They said my file is inactive and she isn't accepting new patients (I'd be considered a new patient at this point). Where did you get your Hep B vaccinations?

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
tinastia

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 01:23:11 PM »

I get mine at the dialysis clinic, doing my second series now.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 02:10:04 PM »

Geez, I'm not sure I've ever had one.  If I did, it was at my neph's office, I suppose.  My transplant coordinator never mentioned vaccinations.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 02:13:32 PM »

I got mine at my internal medicine doc's office, but they were also offering them at the clinic.  What other doc do you see besides the neph?  (And why doesn't he offer them, anyhow?  That seems odd.)

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 02:29:13 PM »

I got mine at my internal medicine doc's office, but they were also offering them at the clinic.  What other doc do you see besides the neph?  (And why doesn't he offer them, anyhow?  That seems odd.)

I get all my shots at the neph's office when they tell me I need them, except for the flu shot which I get at Walgreens.  haha.  But I don't recall ever having anyone tell me about hep vaccines.  Do you get them on a regular basis?  My neph's office is in the same practice as my PCP, so I'm confused. ::)

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 02:36:12 PM »

I normally only see my neph and gynecologist. I called both offices. Neither does hepatitis vaccinations. I apparently don't have a PCP anymore. It seems like a hassle to have to get one just for vaccinations. I wonder if my transplant coordinator can arrange for me to have them done there. I'm required to have vaccinations for hep b and c (or is it a - I get the heps mixed up), pneumonia, and tetanus before they'll list me for transplant.

Deanne

YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 02:47:45 PM »

I got them at my Davita Dialysis Center.
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 02:52:01 PM »

I called our health center at work. They said they have them. They'll need to set themselves up as my PCP, but it's probably less of a hassle than dealing with a public medical center.

Deanne

Pam

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 02:56:54 PM »

I got my Hep B shots the 2nd month I started dialysis they were given at the clinic. I can't remeber but it was either 3 or 4 sets of shots. One shot in each arm and each set was given 6 weeks apart.
Pam
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 07:14:48 PM »

Got mine at my GP.  It was part of the transplant evaluation.  My GP is a couple of miles away and she was the one who 1st noticed I had a problem.   Hope you get this all worked out. 

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 09:06:45 AM »

My transplant coordinator said she's ready to list me as soon as I start the hepatitis B vaccination series.  :yahoo; I called my neph's office to ask if I can get them there - nope. I called my last primary care physician's office. I haven't seen her in several years. They said my file is inactive and she isn't accepting new patients (I'd be considered a new patient at this point). Where did you get your Hep B vaccinations?

Milwaukee has a travel clinic where I received mine, but I think I had to pay something toward the shots. You could also try your city's public health department. HepB is not one that most GPs are going to keep around, I don't think anyhow.

I am going to go down to Northwestern to have a vaccine titer drawn at my surgeon's request. I am actually looking forward to this - it will tell me exactly which vaccines I need and which I am properly immunized for.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
Annig83

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 11:53:55 AM »

Do you live in the US?  If so, call your counties local health department.  They give a variety of vaccines there and they are usually free or very cheap.  I got mine when I went to college, at the student health center, but I needed one shot during Christmas Break, and my nephrologists office gave it to me.  I have heard at my dialysis center they can give them too, yours probably does as well, and if they don't ask them where to go.

*~Annie~*
Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts.
Arnold Bennett
Even though I have gone through so much with ESRD, my son is my inspiration to keep going.  He was delievered at 28 weeks weighing 1 lb 12 oz and today he is a fun-loving 1 year old, whom I love with all my heart!

Diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome Age 13- 1996 Unknown Cause. 35% functioning of both kidneys.
Stable until Age 27; complications with pregnancy, loss of 25% function. (Current functioning is between 5-7%).
December 3, 2010- PD Catheter Placed on Left Side
March 2011- PD Catheter Removal (Due to malfunction)
April 2011- PD Catheter Placement on Right Side
April 2011- Surgery to adjust Catheter and "tacking of fatty tissue"
May 2011- CCPD Started
October 2012- Infection of PD catheter.  PD Cath. removal surgery. Perma-Cath. Placed for Hemodialysis.
Hemodialysis started October 12, 2012.
January 16 2013- First Fistula
On Transplant List in Indiana, awaiting 1st Transplant at IU Health in Indianapolis.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »