I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 08:02:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  will it ever get better
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: will it ever get better  (Read 6125 times)
woodsman

« on: August 10, 2011, 07:04:31 AM »

sat and tuesday sessions went horrible, 5 sticks each time, seems like the crew covering for vacations need some retraining.... they hurt me bad with the 15 gage needles...
Desert Dancer

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 08:41:06 AM »

Geez Louise, woodsman, AGAIN? I know you said you were thinking about self-cannulating; are you still thinking about it? Now might be the time. Sounds to me like everyone at your center needs some remedial training, fer cryin' out loud.

If you want something done right...

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 09:02:47 AM »

I agree with DD....maybe you need to take KK's stick with you to your next session and start breaking some heads!   :Kit n Stik;

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 09:48:42 AM »

I just don't understand what the problem is.  This is just awful.  Other than the sticks, is everything else going pretty well?  Can you give some more thought to self cannulation?  Surely that must be better than what you are going through now.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
woodsman

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 03:34:41 PM »

They sais they don't do self cann there, i feel washed out after and i am off work. I sleep bad if any
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 03:44:30 PM »

They sais they don't do self cann there, i feel washed out after and i am off work. I sleep bad if any

That's BS.  No, it's not that they "don't do" self cann, it's that they "won't do".  I'm horrified that they are forcing you into such a dreadful situation and won't do a damned thing to help you help yourself.  OK, the next obvious question is, "is it possible for you to find another clinic that WILL teach you?"

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 03:54:34 PM »

make some noise,get another tech thats a bit more knowledgable

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
Desert Dancer

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 04:14:12 PM »

They sais they don't do self cann there

Obviously they 'don't do' regular cannulation either, with the rank incompetence displayed by damned near everyone who touches you.

I agree with MM; it's not that they 'don't', it's that they 'won't'. Start making some noise about it. Start looking for a new clinic and let them know you're looking for a new clinic; they don't want to lose you as a 'customer'. It's YOUR body, goddamnit. You shouldn't have to submit to thrice-weekly mutilation just because they're threatened by the fact you might be more proficient at it than they are.

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 08:39:48 PM »

this is so wrong and it sickens me.  Who on Gods green earth can you talk to about this?  Are others there going through the same crap??

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 09:58:52 PM »

:cuddle;

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 11:05:09 PM »

:Kit n Stik;
Ask for a meeting with the center's manager and find out how to get better care!!  :grouphug;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 12:27:19 AM »

That is just ridiculous Woodsman, holler and get some attention, dont let this continue any longer!!   :grouphug;

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
woodsman

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 08:17:37 AM »

Last 3 times went well i told them who i want to stick me and they agreed, now the 15's are not so bad...
Big E

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 12:12:47 PM »

Last 3 times went well i told them who i want to stick me and they agreed, now the 15's are not so bad...

:clap;

PKD diagnosed June 1996
Started in-center hemodialysis May 2010
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 12:56:06 PM »

That's a big step forward.  So glad to hear it.

woodsman

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 01:14:52 PM »

They sure leave big holes though..... I have a ct scan on thursday for the transplnt folks we shall see how it goes, then off to dialysis to remove the ct scan injection
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 07:59:18 PM »

Good luck tomorrow!  I hope all goes well, Lord, you have surely been put "through it!

God Bless

lmunchkin :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 09:22:38 PM »

I hope now it WILL get better..  Geesh!   God willing, your on your way and best of luck with that transplant process..  You sure have our prayers for  some good news all around...   :pray;

lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2011, 07:51:54 PM »

FYI, I use 15's on my hubby!

lmunch

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2011, 10:09:04 PM »

I don't think it is up to them - I think the conditions for coverage require that they support your decision to put in your own needles. This would be a good time for your Network to do some education. Which Renal Network covers your area?

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
dialysisadvocate

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2011, 05:57:44 AM »

This is a COMMON complaint that I hear from patients ---->staff can not cannulate without hurting me, they are not trained, they stick me several times.

I believe this is what is written related to self cannulation in facilitiies ----cannulate upon receiving the proper training and demonstrating competency. The patient’s right to participate in aspects of his or her care is addressed at § 494.70(a)(5), and as written, is flexible enough to include self-cannulation as well as other forms of in-center self-care and home dialysis----

I agree with those who commented about faciilities not wanting to... Many facilities do not want to and I have heard that when some patients have gone to the Network that  they have had no results to any satisfaction, while many have. I would suggest speaking with your physician and telling him/her that you want to be involved in your care and self-cannulate because the staff , obviously, at times, are not conducting safe practices. The wrong methods of cannulation can result in loss of your fistula, e.g. numerous pseudoaneurysms resulting in potential loss of fistula depending upon the size and number of these and how much area is left to stick. I have observed this ...

Interesting, as I see it, that the oversight, government agency, CMS certainly has focused on training and certification of technicians --esp in cannulation but then we continue to see such as this person has described.

And, you can always file a complaint with the state agency.... Remember, most patients, receive cookie-cutter training in the dialysis unit and from the post of many here, I think that supports what I have just stated.

Above opinions of
Roberta Mikles BA RN
Dialysis Patient Safety Advocate
NON CONNECTED in any way to the dialysis industry
www.qualitysafepatientcare.com

Roberta Mikles BA RN - www.qualitysafepatientcare.com
Dialysis Patient Safety Advocate
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2011, 11:56:34 AM »

I just don't get that attitude.  I was the first patient to train for the newly acquired NxStage program at my center (after a lot of pushing and begging from a number of the patients to get one started, including me.)  When I started learning to self-stick, the nurses and techs were so excited to help me learn.  Most had never seen anyone do it, and we all worked together to figure out how I was going to manage it one-handed.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2011, 02:00:07 PM »

It just seems like common sense to let patients self cannulate if they want to as it frees up time for those patients who need more of the staff's time.

I have been thinking a lot about how I will approach my neph/clinic staff once I start D.  They won't know that I can even spell "cannulation".  I think I will go in with the breezy attitude of, "Well, of course I'm going to learn to stick myself, and of course I'm going to want to train to do my own dialysis.  Why wouldn't I?"

What's unfortunate is that clinic staffs vary in quality; it's a very hit and miss affair, it seems, and it shouldn't be that way.  There are plenty of members here on IHD who really like their clinic and are happy with the staff.  But for those who are unlucky enough to have that extra burden of poorly trained staff, well, that's such a shame.

woodsman

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2011, 01:52:47 PM »

Well everything has gone well and have had perfect sticks and now the 15's are not as bad as at first. I hope this continues...
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2011, 02:00:58 PM »

woodsman, im so glad for you.. How are you feeling these days?  It's got to be starting to 'ease' your mind a bit now that you've seen what it can be.  I too hope it will continue. 

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »